Should we have access to a podcast of KCBS meetings?

Should we have access to a podcast of KCBS meetings?

• Yes

Votes: 55 90.2%
  • No

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Unsure

Votes: 4 6.6%

• Total voters
The petition is a great idea and lets keep it going! I have heard from a board member that the board responds more to e-mails rather than petitions. just an FYI! I think we should do both! I know this is posted in two different threads, I just wanted all interested parties to see this.

Wayne answered He thinks there are enough emails for it to be on the agenda

As of right now I have recieved three replies from Board members.

Merl and Wayne both said that they are in favor, although Wayne says that it probably won't be on the agenda untill March. Linda said that we have been able to use the call-in option for about a year, with only 3 to 4 members using it per month. Gene just checked in saying that he's also in favor of this.

The call in is fine
But being able to have the pod cast when ever you want it
Wonderful accountability

The call in is fine
But being able to have the pod cast when ever you want it
Wonderful accountability
I don't think the call-in option is widely communicated... as this is the first time I had heard about it (when this topic kicked off). I would much rather have at least THAT than nothing...

Just can't fast forward a live phone conference you are listening to :)

I don't think the call-in option is widely communicated... as this is the first time I had heard about it (when this topic kicked off). I would much rather have at least THAT than nothing...
I agree that most don't know it even is an option... The reason I want the Pod cast is I often have meetings the same nights (plus I'm single and to be honest, I would rather see my girl friend and listen to the meeting another time)...

I'm sending out my emails now and have signed the petition...

Linda told me that only 3-4 members call in a month and cant see how a podcast would make a difference! I commend her for being the first to respond to me and rather quickly at that. I do feel she might be a little out of touch on this issue. A call in has its place but that is not the best way to let a large group hear what you are saying. What do you do when they go into exec. session, just listen to dead air? I asked her to reconsider because after all its not her descision it is the people she represents. In general I do think the board dose a pretty good job, I would not want to deal with what they have to sometimes! Better access would only help to clear up some of the rumors that tend to fly around.

Last edited:
I put a motion on the agenda before to provide a pod cast of meetings. The "cook friendly" board members (and past member) voted it down.

Today I put the following motion on the agenda:

New Ideas

An number of members have asked that in addition to the telephone call in service currently provided for members, that KCBS provide a pod cast of ALL BOD meetings including Special Meetings.

I hereby move that all meetings be recorded and a pod cast be placed on the KCBS web site for review by members.

Merl Whitebook

You may already have this on radar, but some advice here... Do the research of what it will cost for equipment, production, and hosting. Don't give a reason to vote no or delay a vote. If equipment is available to use on a temporary basis, record a demo and make available for the BOD to experience. You'll need to consider how everyone on the call will be recorded. I'm sure there are services out there that do this, but having some cost information could help expedite a vote.

Good luck.

Also, can you we get committee members published?

Recordings are also on demand. I can choose to listen when it fits my schedule.

I think Linda is being short sighted if that was her direct comment. I'm hoping that it was taken out of context or something. It is hard to believe that a few hundred people wouldn't have listened to the pod cast of the last board meeting with as much board traffic that the Lula contest got.

I think Linda is being short sighted if that was her direct comment. I'm hoping that it was taken out of context or something. It is hard to believe that a few hundred people wouldn't have listened to the pod cast of the last board meeting with as much board traffic that the Lula contest got.

Direct from her e-mail
"Only 3-4 members monthly have taken advantage of this opportunity. I don't see where a webcast/podcast would make any difference. Believe it or not we do try to do the right thing. Listening to a podcast days after the meeting, is like being a Monday morning quarterback."

This was not aimed to throw her under the bus in any way, just wanted to make sure she was not misquoted!

I explained that in an email to Linda. I explained that in my experience, providing a pod cast of a meeting was far more useful than delayed written minutes, and it allowed a tremendous percentage of people to listen that could not make the meeting "on schedule".

Another barrier mentioned was "liability".

Not sure how the liability of a recorded meeting is different from the liability of a live one, but I am not an attorney nor expert on the matter. That being said, someone better go tell the school district boards, county boards of supervisors, fraternal orders, business organizations, and myriad other groups that podcast their board meetings that they have a liability issue on their hands.

Ironcially, I just sat in a demo of a Web meeting service that we are considering for the office that allows shared presentations online, web cams, etc. It allows you to record the entire session complete with presentations as a flash video on the Web.

Pod casts are typically audio. This kind of service gives you everything: audio, video, presentations, annotations, and all of the other dynamic online meeting content. You can also conduct votes on motions.

I just got the following response from Wayne to my email to the board...
Jeff, thanks for emailing your comments which I'm 100% in agreement. We have had some many emails on this topic that I'm sure it will be on the March agenda. Wayne

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 9:40 AM, Jeffrey Olson
wrote:

Members of the Board,

I have been hearing a number of negative things regarding KCBS and it’s BOD. While I would like to be able to respond to these statements, I don’t feel that I have enough information to do so. To be honest, because I don’t have the opportunity to listen in on the BOD meetings on phone, I have to wait until the full minutes are published in the “Bullsheet” and by then, the chance to correct any misconceptions has passed. Yes I know that we have the ‘Quick Notes’ but again with out full information as to the discussion prior to votes, these often start the negative discussions.

I would like to add my support to making our monthly Board meeting available on webcast/podcast; If not live than at least available within a few days. I truly think that this would give our membership the feeling of transparency that is currently missing and leading to what I feel is a dark cloud of assumptions hovering over our Board.

Please understand that I know (I serve on a number of Boards myself) that you don’t have an easy job, but the most important thing is for the membership to have faith that those that they have elected are truly representing them. Receiving board minutes weeks after it happens is not the answer for an organization that has over 10,000 members.

I am not looking for a reason to criticize any Board Members options. What I am looking for is more information than “a vote was taken on XYZ and 11 members voted Yes”. Without access to the discussion regarding a motion, I am forced to take things at face value, and to be honest, it often raises more questions than answers. By having the additional knowledge as to what was actually discussed, I often find the reason behind the motion gives me a reason to support it.

Another issue I have is ‘Executive Sessions’. I actually find no reason for these unless they are personal in nature. As far as I’m concerned, all information discussed by the elected Board of Directors by a paying membership should be open to that membership, including the financial strength and/or weakness of the organization. I know that this is another hot button that we need to work on and I’ll save it for later. First steps first; let’s open up the meetings so that all of the membership has access.

Thank you for your consideration,

Jeff Olson
CBJ - 23376

Back