Underground Pig (picture heavy)

God .............. I love me some of this thread ................ Bless Y'all!

Jeannie, that looks great, almost the way we do it back here...same process, but as the fire is going (we use kiawe, a cousin of mesquite) we put in lava rocks, and get those glowing hot....throw banana stumps and leaves for steam, put the pig in just like you do, without foil in wire, do the banana thing again, then burlap bags and cover with dirt ...great smoke taste...do you get smoke taste with the foil? Only seasoning is Hawaiian Salt.

Jeannie, that looks great, almost the way we do it back here...same process, but as the fire is going (we use kiawe, a cousin of mesquite) we put in lava rocks, and get those glowing hot....throw banana stumps and leaves for steam, put the pig in just like you do, without foil in wire, do the banana thing again, then burlap bags and cover with dirt ...great smoke taste...do you get smoke taste with the foil? Only seasoning is Hawaiian Salt.

Thanks Keale! Yes it gets a nice smoked flavor and it's tender and juicy. The foil isn't sealed tight at all. Sometimes we cook it with just the wet burlap.. Here we bury goats, briskets, turkeys, venison, even cow heads this way.. wrapped in wet burlap and buried. It's a pretty old method... but still works great. :-D Just like you, we use what we have on hand. :-D

lol Shane....:icon_shy I'm not saying a word. :oops::lol:

Jeanie, Okies RULE!!! (well you do at any rate but I've told you that many many times now) :lol: That's a phenomenal hog, my hat is off to you (as always)

Thanks Keale! Yes it gets a nice smoked flavor and it's tender and juicy. The foil isn't sealed tight at all. Sometimes we cook it with just the wet burlap.. Here we bury goats, briskets, turkeys, venison, even cow heads this way.. wrapped in wet burlap and buried. It's a pretty old method... but still works great. :-D Just like you, we use what we have on hand. :-D

lol Shane....:icon_shy I'm not saying a word. :oops::lol:

Ok, you lost me at "COW HEADS!!" and they say us Hawaiians eat weird stuff!!!! :p:p

Back