MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:36 PM   #1
Michigan BBQ Fan
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Scott
Default Making rib/BBQ glaze at home ?!?!?!

HI Brethren,

I love using a lot of the commercially available glazes on the market. I use them a lot on my ribs and pork. I've mainly used the Triple Nine Swine products and their Apple Cherry Glaze is the best thing I've put in vanilla ice cream in years.

I know that other companies have their own glazes etc, but I'm looking to try and make my own (Ex. Kosmos, Rib Candy, BBQSuperstore) and I'm not looking to steal anyone's commercial recipe. I'm just looking to start playing with flavor profiles at home.

Do I just start with a bottle of corn syrup and add flavor additives?...or....Do I go with a simply syrup base and go from there?....Pure Cane Syrup?

What about flavor or color additives?

Any help and/or shared experience is appreciated.

TY

KCBS Certified Judge
Member KCBS & GLBBQA
Competition BBQ Cook

!!!Welcome to the BBQ REVIVAL!!!
Michigan BBQ Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2019, 12:11 AM   #2
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Lots of ways to go here... just depends on what kind of flavor you're looking for. Last time I made bbq sauce I started with ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, honey, bbq rub.. etc.. I think starting with a pure sweet base like corn syrup may be a little too sweet IMO.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-22-2019, 08:31 AM   #3
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Yeah starting with ACV or White Vinegar is what a lot of ppl do to make homemade sauces. How sweet you want it can be controlled by white sugar or brown sugar added in with other creative measures (fruit juices, soft drinks, honey among money other things). Also, depending on the desired thickness you can add commercial sauces to the mixture. If you look at youtube you can some base recipes to start with and just add what you want to make your own. No 2 sauces will be the exact same.
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-22-2019, 09:14 AM   #4
Michigan BBQ Fan
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Scott

Thanks for all the tips. Great advice for building a solid BBQ sauce. What I'm looking to make is different than a standard "sauce" or event a well-balance "glaze". I'm looking to make a flavorful "sugar"-based liquid that is packed with flavor.

Triple Nine Swine makes a variety that they used in their competition BBQ (http://www.thebbqsuperstore.com/prod...gs-sce-a07.htm). Another example would be Kosmo's line (https://kosmosq.com/barbecue-sauce/rib-glazes/) or Texas Rib Candy (https://www.texaspepperjelly.com/rib-candy/).

I'm looking to start experimenting with these type liquids at home and looking for someone who may have made them before etc.

Kosmo does give an ingredient list for his...
cane sugar, water, apple juice concentrate, cherry juice concentrate, vinegar, modified food starch, habanero mash (habanero peppers, salt), citric acid, xanthan gum

Thanks for the help.

KCBS Certified Judge
Member KCBS & GLBBQA
Competition BBQ Cook

!!!Welcome to the BBQ REVIVAL!!!
Michigan BBQ Fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2019, 09:51 AM   #5
Super 8
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : -

I substitute the sugar content to 1/2 brown sugar for a better flavor profile.
Super 8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2019, 09:57 AM   #6
Displaced Texan
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Dan

Something that I have done in the past is to start with a 2-liter of pop (I really like to use root beer for this) and boil it down to a syrup and use that as a base. You might try something like that with a cherry coke or some such and see where that takes you.

Old 08-22-2019, 10:56 AM   #7
ToOTHroTT

Name/Nickname : Bill

On my spares I will wrap them after about 3 hours. I will wrap with butter brown sugar bbq sauce and honey. After about 2 hours I will unwrap and dump the liquid glaze on the ribs and let them go another 30 min to set the glaze. I do not even need sauce when done. I put a hot rub on and a sweet rub. They will be sweet with a bit of heat.
ToOTHroTT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2019, 10:58 AM   #8
NC Mike

Name/Nickname : Mike

Commercial products usually have xanthan gum as a thickener but I have used corn starch to thicken my sauce for a glaze. Heat the sauce and mix the corn starch in cold water then whisk it into the heated sauce.
NC Mike is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2019, 11:18 AM   #9
Radrob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rob

Get creative!!

Grab a jar of your favorite jelly, I use pepper jelly. Dump 1/2 a jar in a pot and a little water to thin it out while it warms up. You can adjust the consistency with water, bbq sauce, hot sauce, Coke, Dr pepper, vinegar, beer or anything you like then add your favorite rub and season it to taste. You can always cook it down if you add too much liquid so it's hard to mess up.
Radrob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2019, 12:35 PM   #10
RandyNight

Name/Nickname : Randy

If you haven't read this post I would recommend it: https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=119670

I have made it several times and it goes over well. Sometimes I use all apple juice instead of water.

Old 08-22-2019, 12:58 PM   #11
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

If you have a bottle of the glaze, take a look at the ingredients. If I remember correctly, Texas pepper jelly is literally fruit jelly with some vinegar added. From there it's just about getting the ratios how you like it so it's thinner or thicker.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2019, 01:07 PM   #12
blackdogbbq21
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Paul

When I've experimented at home i'll start with equal parts ketchup and vinegar as a base. Then I add sugar, spices, thickeners etc to get the flavor and consistency where I want it.

Another thought is to find a baseline recipe online that sounds good . Make the recipe but modify it to your liking.

Take notes of what you added, left out and it will be easy to remember what you did or change to get it right next time.
blackdogbbq21 is offline   Reply With Quote