MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-21-2019, 06:14 PM   #1
arclite
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Chicago Costco Business Center Worth the Trip?

Hi all,

How's the meat selection at the Business Center on the southside? Better than the average Costco that offers prime?

Old 08-22-2019, 11:13 AM   #2
arclite
is one Smokin' Farker

Anyone?

Old 08-22-2019, 12:45 PM   #3
wbratt1
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

I don't have experience with that one, but the business center Costco south of Atlanta has a much better selection of meat than the regular ones here. You can get bone in butts, whole lambs, cases of meat....all kinds of good stuff that our regular ones don't have. This one also has equipment similar to a restaurant depot. That being said, since we moved and it's an 45 minutes plus from my house, I haven't gone back. I mainly go to local places or restaurant depot.

Old 08-22-2019, 01:25 PM   #4
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

You better run.

Heres my thread of what a business center looks like compared to a regular club.

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=253488
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2019, 05:29 PM   #5
arclite
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
You better run.

Heres my thread of what a business center looks like compared to a regular club.

Oh dear Lord!

Old 08-22-2019, 10:12 PM   #6
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
You better run.

Reminds me of Restaurant Depot.

Is a special type of Costco membership required?

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-2019, 10:22 PM   #7
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
You better run.

I shouldnt have clicked that

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-23-2019, 07:55 AM   #8
LocoLeonard
Got Wood.

I shop at business center on the south side of Atlanta all of the time. This is the only place I buy meat. They have a great selection & the staff are all top notch people. A standard Costco membership is all that's required. No special membership needed.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-23-2019, 03:46 PM   #9
arclite
is one Smokin' Farker

Well, that was a bust. I just wasted 3 hours of my day.

The meat selection was small and unremarkable.

The beef was almost all choice with a couple Halal cuts. No Prime. I picked out a Strip Loin, but in the end passed. They had whole Clod and Rounds, which you don’t often see at my regular Costco. They also had untrimmed Skirt steaks, but after trimming down the cost wouldn’t be worth it.

Other than the bone-in picnics the pork was your average, everyday Swift label pork. Chicken was also factory farm level product. No whole hogs, lamb or anything more than run of the mill sausage.

The prices were a little cheaper than our north side Costco, but for me not worth the drive.

The store itself was part Rest. Depot, part Costco and part Office Max. Prices for non-meat were good, not great.

What really depressed me was that more than 10% of the store’s floor space was dedicated to soda pop. I’m surprised they weren’t handing out insulin pumps at the end of one of the aisles.

Oh well...

Old 08-24-2019, 07:19 AM   #10
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Costco

Hi All I have 2 Costco's in my area..The business Costco one has much better meat for smoking then the regular Costco..At the business one I can get prime brisket for $3.69 or choice for $2.99 also they are beef ribs. The other Costco has no briskets or beef ribs at all.
DanB

Old 08-24-2019, 08:07 AM   #11
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by arclite View Post

The beef was almost all choice with a couple Halal cuts. No Prime. I picked out a Strip Loin, but in the end passed. They had whole Clod and Rounds, which you don’t often see at my regular Costco. They also had untrimmed Skirt steaks, but after trimming down the cost wouldn’t be worth it.

Other than the bone-in picnics the pork was your average, everyday Swift label pork. Chicken was also factory farm level product. No whole hogs, lamb or anything more than run of the mill sausage.

The prices were a little cheaper than our north side Costco, but for me not worth the drive.

The store itself was part Rest. Depot, part Costco and part Office Max. Prices for non-meat were good, not great.

What really depressed me was that more than 10% of the store’s floor space was dedicated to soda pop. I’m surprised they weren’t handing out insulin pumps at the end of one of the aisles.

Oh well...
That’s too bad! Thanks for taking one for the team!

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2019, 09:50 AM   #12
Jcmhc
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Jason

Are you referring to the Bedford Park location?
Jcmhc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2019, 10:19 AM   #13
SonnyE
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Sonny

No clue.
But I do know that if you don't go, you won't know.

Don't forget your biggest ice chests, and a wheelbarrow full of money.

Have fun!

Old 08-24-2019, 10:53 AM   #14
ulc
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by arclite View Post

Oh well...
I don't know what you were expecting. I took a look at the selection of meats at the Chicago location online and it looks pretty similar to one in Atlanta. If you're looking for mainly USDA Prime, the business center is not for you. They stock and sell lot more Choice and Select meats which is what the business customers want. And the meats are going to be commodity.

The selection changes and cuts like tri-tip will come and go. And your store has stuff like lamb shank and lamb shoulder. It should be in the grocery freezer aisle.

Personally, I love the Business Center in Atlanta. I go there to buy certain cuts like rib tips, shoulder clod, beef ribs, ox tails, and beef cheeks. I can't find those at regular Costco.
ulc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-2019, 03:51 PM   #15
arclite
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
That’s too bad! Thanks for taking one for the team!
Thanks Ron. Curiosity was killing me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcmhc View Post
Are you referring to the Bedford Park location?
Yes sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulc View Post
I don't know what you were expecting. I took a look at the selection of meats at the Chicago location online and it looks pretty similar to one in Atlanta. If you're looking for mainly USDA Prime, the business center is not for you. They stock and sell lot more Choice and Select meats which is what the business customers want. And the meats are going to be commodity.

The selection changes and cuts like tri-tip will come and go. And your store has stuff like lamb shank and lamb shoulder. It should be in the grocery freezer aisle.

Personally, I love the Business Center in Atlanta. I go there to buy certain cuts like rib tips, shoulder clod, beef ribs, ox tails, and beef cheeks. I can't find those at regular Costco.
I was expecting something a little more like this.

My assumption is Costco did their due diligence with market research and stock the Chicago Business Center for businesses around Bedford Park. That area's demographics are very different to the city Northside, Northern and West suburbs, which have a few upmarket meat departments at Costco Supercenters. We also have a few Restaurant Depots in the North/Northwest/West regions of Chicago Metro, which (again) I'll assume that Costco doesn't want to directly compete with Rest Depot.