MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 10-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
seattlepitboss
is one Smokin' Farker

Default bbq in N C

On the Blue Ridge Parkway heading south towards Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Have always heard about regional differences in NC BBQ and want to see for myself. Do you know of any excellent Q joints? Thanks - seattlepiboss (long ways from home)
seattlepitboss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
BigBlock
is one Smokin' Farker

1 smokey mountain bbq 1008 s jefferson hwy west jefferson nc
2 the woodlands bbq resteraunt 8304 valley blvd blowing rock nc
3 bandana's bar b que 1475 hwy 105 s boone nc
let me know what you think
BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:39 AM   #3
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

You're right in my backyard, I live just off the Parkway near the southern end, but I don't eat out bbq much. The best traditional NC bbq joints are in the central/eastern part of the state, (a lot of restaurants in western NC cater to the tastes of tourists, who seem to like their bbq covered in sweet ketchup,) but there are some decent ones around here. Pretty much a crapshoot at times. A pretty good one in Maggie Valley burned down awhile back, but there are a couple decent ones there and in Waynesville. 12 Bones in Asheville isn't bad either. Some of the best bbq is guys at flea markets and roadside stands and such with a trailer cooker. If you see a pit and smell hickory smoke, give it a try. Avoid the fancy looking joints that cater to tourists and hit the dives. I would be glad to feed you some authentic NC Q, but I'm headed out the door for a weekend deer hunting trip.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
bo_gator
On the road to being a farker

I Waynesville, NC 'Big Mountain BBQ' is about the best you can find.

In Dillsboro, NC the 'Smokehouse' is pretty good.

In Cashiers, NC their non-related 'Smokehouse' is really good, and was on the first season of 'Feasting on Asphalt' with Alton Brown.

In Bryson City, NC the 'BBQ Wagon' doesn't look like much, but has some darn fine pig inside.

In Franklin, NC there is 'Cash's BBQ' which is just a shed and some picnic tables, but has some good pig, I'd skip the brisket though.

More to the east is 'Moe's original BBQ' in Asheville, NC, it is ok but sort of a mix of styles.

Last edited by bo_gator; 10-11-2012 at 09:13 AM.. Reason: Typos
bo_gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bo_gator View Post
I Waynesville, NC 'Big Mountain BBQ' is about the best you can find.

In Dillsboro, NC the 'Smokehouse' is pretty good.

In Cashiers, NC their non-related 'Smokehouse' is really good, and was on the first season of 'Feasting on Asphalt' with Alton Brown.

In Bryson City, NC the 'BBQ Wagon' doesn't look like much, but has some darn fine pig inside.

In Franklin, NC there is 'Cash's BBQ' which is just a shed and some picnic tables, but has some good pig, I'd skip the brisket though.

More to the east is 'Moe's original BBQ' in Asheville, NC, it is ok but sort of a mix of styles.

Is Big Mountain the one in the old house off the Hazlewood exit? I couldn't remember the name. Oh, and definitely don't eat at Fat Buddy's. :)

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
bbqbrad

The bbq man in Hudson. I stop by every summer when I go to Boone.

hotforteacherbbq.com
[COLOR="Yellow"]Yellow Thermapen Owner[/COLOR]
bbqbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #7
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Stop in a grocery store along the way and find the "Carolina Treet" cooking sauce. Buy a lot of it - it's especially great for chicken.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:54 AM   #8
bo_gator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnaws on Pigs View Post
Is Big Mountain the one in the old house off the Hazlewood exit? I couldn't remember the name. Oh, and definitely don't eat at Fat Buddy's. :)
Yeah, that's it. There is also a good one in Cruso (sp) but I can't remember it's name.
bo_gator is offline   Reply With Quote