MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:54 PM   #136
swamprb
somebody shut me the fark up.

My supplier ships overnight if anyone is interested in trying said controversial cut.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2011, 10:40 PM   #137
Plowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
I was thinking it was just bored guys on the net. I wonder how many from this thread will be in Las Vegas.....
How many will be cooking Pork Collars?

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #138
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
I feel like I need a PhD in meat butchery in order to be a competition cook anymore. $150,000 contests will do that, I guess.
Or, just go to Restaurant Depot and buy the two-pack
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2011, 03:39 AM   #139
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
How many will be cooking Pork Collars?
My guess is most everybody, although they won't know it.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:48 AM   #140
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
I recall an old BBQ Central Pork Roundtable with you, Jim and others discussing methods, and when Jim brought up the Berkshire/Kurobuta pork he was using, everyone gave him a hard time!
Yeah and Wagyu briskets too! And it wasn't very long ago. Things are changing fast!
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2011, 06:57 AM   #141
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

Ahh wagyu is still overrated. Gimme a USDA prime any day. Easier to get and much cheaper.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:52 AM   #142
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

You seem to be really trying hard to start an argument. Hang around a little and you'll see that this forum really is different. We don't usually fall for that.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:55 AM   #143
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksmith View Post
I'm just arguing because it's fun.
No comment

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #144
swamprb

Default Back to the Pork Collars!!

I'm just curious how people are cooking them?

The first time I smoked some, they took longer to cook than the larger Farmland butts, and the stall lasted for what seemed like an eternity. I've heard people complain that the Kurobuta is too fatty, but the ones we cooked were very lean, there was hardly any fat in the meat, or if there was it rendered out and the meat shredded rather than pulled. I worried I might have overcooked them, but they were moist and sweet.

Another time we turbo'd some in foil pans to serve sliced and I felt they were comp quality. The last time we did the roadshow at the Butcher Shop, we smoked some for a customer, took them to 180* because he wanted to slice them. We never got a taste but we heard they loved it.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2011, 10:36 AM   #145
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

The only way to insure that only allowed cuts of meat are being used would be to hold all events in a fenced compound, have a TSA like search of all persons and vehicles to insure that no outside meat is being brought in then issuing each team their meat from a common pool provided by the contest. Nobody wants to do that.

Much like golf, competitor integrity has to play a major roll in policing BBQ comps due to the solo nature of the competition. You either have it or you don't.

As contests get bigger and bigger purses, should KCBS and other sanctioning bodies tighten up their rules/procedures and remove ambiguities? Absolutely! The worst thing for competitive BBQ rules is to go the way of the "unwritten, but everyone knows it's OK/prohibited" route. If it's a bad or ambiguous rule - change it for the better.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-28-2011, 10:40 AM   #146
Jorge

Quote:
I was thinking it was just bored guys on the net. I wonder how many from this thread will be in Las Vegas.....
I've got a great idea for a shirt for that contest:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2011, 11:36 AM   #147
Brewer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by roksmith View Post
Ahh wagyu is still overrated. Gimme a USDA prime any day. Easier to get and much cheaper.
Totally disagree.
KCBS & PNWBA Member, PNWBA CBJ
Superior SS-2
Backwoods Fatboy
Primo XL
Weber Ranch Kettle
Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2011, 11:55 AM   #148
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
You seem to be really trying hard to start an argument. Hang around a little and you'll see that this forum really is different. We don't usually fall for that.
Ray,
I've been around here for a couple of years now, and although I may have used the word argue, what I probably should have said was "partake in good healthy discussion". After all, that's what we're really doing here. There is obviously room for discussion on this matter for a couple of reasons.

1. There are obviously posters in three positions on this.
Those who say it's illegal
Those who say it's legal
And those who don't know.

2. As has been previously stated and re-confirmed by my local KCBS rep to me this morning, the board is discussing this very same topic right now.

I apologize to those who feel I have slighted them or their experience by not being willing to back down because I didn't share their view and would not accept "shut up and color" as an answer. We obviously have folk with lots of BBQ experience in all three categories listed above.

As a follow up, I think from what I was told by my rep this morning, most folks were partially right and partially wrong on their arguments.

According to him:

By the current rules, any piece of meat that is labeled as anything other than a Boston butt, a picnic, or whole shoulder would be illegal.

But

You are perfectly legal trimming any of those cuts down to whatever size you like prior to cooking so long as the piece you will cook is one piece and weighs 5lbs.
As long as the piece is 5lbs at inspection and it started off as one of the legal cuts, it's legal.

So you cannot show up with something labeled CT trimmed pork collar, but if you buy a shoulder and trim it to the very same piece of meat either on site, or at home prior to arrival, you are well within the rules.

That is why (I've been told) they are discussing the rule now.. Because it is not as clear as some might think.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #149
roksmith
is one Smokin' Farker

Personally, I'd like to see the rule changed so that you can not do any fancy trimming.. No butterflying, no trimming around the money muscle to get smoke ring most of the way around it. Nothing... Rub it, inject if you like and toss it in the cooker. Now that would ensure an even playing field.

In fact, no off site trimming. Everything shows up in original cryopacs. Labeled from the distributor. No questions then.

Old 01-28-2011, 12:22 PM   #150
Finney
is one Smokin' Farker

Seems to me like they would be way better off using the IMPS Item Numbers, rather than the names.