MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-27-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
Wrench_H
is One Chatty Farker

Default Waring Pro Slicer

I got a Waring Pro meat slicer for Christmas, and I was hoping to get some opinions or reviews from anyone that might have one of these or has used one. I was planning to buy one, so I'm thinking about taking this one back and putting another 1-2 hundred(total of $2-300) into a nicer one if neccessary. Basically I will use it to cut pastrami, steaks, turkey, and any deli sausage I might make. My main concern is that it works and can slice thinly and secondarily, how easy is it to clean. I realize that cleaning something like this isn't going to be really simple, but I don't want to spend 2 hours cleaning everytime I use it. If you reccommend I take it back, any recommendations on good ones in the above mentioned price range. As always thanks for any help.

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero[/URL] Member

Try the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]Throwdowns[/URL] - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2010, 10:55 AM   #2
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have one, and it slices thin enough to keep me from plunking down the cash on a better one, but I do wish it could slice thinner. It's not a problem for me though, it's thin enough to work, in my opinion. You will not get deli-shaved thin out of that slicer, no way. As for cleaning, I think it's pretty easy cleanup. Just unscrew the blade, wash that, wipe everything else down and sanitize.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-27-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

I have one and it works pretty well. If you slice something that bogs it down or is difficult to slice repeadedly, eventually the plastic gears will strip and you'll have to get the part from Waring. No big deal, less than $2 or free if it is still under warranty. I'm happy enough with it that I wouldn't plunk down the extra $$ for an expensive one. Clean up is not difficult and doesn't take long. It is a decent home slicer.
[B]Superior SS-3[/B] - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburner
[B]Weber[/B] 22.5" WSM
[B]Weber[/B] 26.75" OTG
[B]Weber[/B] Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
[B]Weber[/B] Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #4
Divemaster

I've had one for years and found it works fine. Now I should say that I've never been into the 'Shaved Ham' but for general slicing mine works great. In fact, a couple of weeks ago I had to slice up 25 pounds of cooked brisket and it handled it just fine.

I do like to clean it more than 'just wiping it down' so on that note, it's kind of a pain and that determines if I'm going to use it or just a knife.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2010, 11:30 AM   #5
Jorge

Investing in something a little more sturdy, and the additional 1-200 dollars would do that, may not be a bad idea.

Cabela's has some slicers that are larger, will slice thinner, and have a blade that is easier to sharpen. The latter is important. We have a small slicer that I use for summer sausage and cheese, because it's convenient. After a couple of years the blade is becoming dull, and that impacts the convenience factor. Cleaning can be a pain, but not much more difficult than what you will face with the current slicer. Storage is the biggest issue that comes along with a larger slicer. Do you have room for it?

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #6
bobaftt
is one Smokin' Farker

I got one of these as well. How difficult is it to sharpen the blade?
bobaftt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #7
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

I have one, use it all the time for everything from meat to cheese to bread. I like the size, portability and it fits snugly on the shelf in the pantry.
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!

Last edited by aquablue22; 12-27-2010 at 04:52 PM..
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2010, 01:27 PM   #8
Jorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobaftt View Post
I got one of these as well. How difficult is it to sharpen the blade?
I can hone it with a steel, and I've taken various small slicer blades to folks to sharpen. At the end of the day, a larger slicer with a sharpening attachment is easier to deal with and can pay for itself in terms of time and money.

I've got both, and use both of them for different purposes.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2010, 01:38 PM   #9
Judi
Found some matches.

I have a similar slicer and I like it very much. It's fairly easy to clean and I use it for lots more than slicing meat, too.

It's great if you're making a lot of sauerkraut or even slaw. I can buy a whole boneless ham and have the whole thing sliced to our liking and sealed in no time.
Judi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
Wrench_H
is One Chatty Farker

Everything I'm hearing here echos the reviews I've read elsewhere except that it probably isn't as hard to clean as some of the reviews I've read say. It sounds like it will work for most everything except deli thin slices. Unfortunatly this is one of the things I want to do with it. I guess my next question is will anything under $300 do this? If not, I might just keep what I have and buy another one later in life when I can justify spending more on it or keep hoping I find one on craigslist. Thanks to all for the answers.

CharGriller Smokin Pro, King Kooker Cast Propane Smoker, Smokey Joe Silver, Blue Mosaic Kamado, Traeger 075(Somehow I now have 2 of these), Weber Performer, BW Fatboy, Char Griller Akorn

Multiple Time [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero[/URL] Member

Try the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"]Throwdowns[/URL] - MMMMM...tastes like liquid crystal
Wrench_H is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2010, 07:11 PM   #11
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

I have the WPS200PC model. Purchased from COTSCO about 3 years ago. We use it mainly to slice Eye-Of-Round for beef jerky.

When I slice the meat, it is almost frozen state. It puts a burden on the machine, but works well. I found that I need to wipe the blade and other parts with oil (cooking) to keep it from binding up.

Relatively easy to clean-up, not too heavy and easy to store. It hasn't made me look for a replacement yet.

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2010, 09:45 PM   #12
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

I had one, and gave it away. I think it is the biggest piece of crap ever sold, and I refuse to ever buy anything branded "Waring Pro" again. I also refuse to buy anything from a website that only had positive reviews for this POS. Please read the Amazon reviews, one of which is mine, before you decide to keep it, but the short version is that the motor is pathetic and really loud, the blade is scallopped, the carriage is too small, and the whole thing is impossible to clean safely. I never found a suitable replacement in that price range, but if you wanna cut bread, buy a $20 bread knife. Cheese, use the bread knife or buy a $20 cheese knife. If you wanna slice meat with this thing, good luck. Buy a slicer knife, a mandolin, or save your pennies.

dmp

(In case you couldn't tell, I have really strong feelings about this product, and the company for continuing to market it.)

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2010, 10:30 PM   #13
Pyle's BBQ
Babbling Farker

If you are in an area that has a decent CL, do a search for slicers. See what you can buy for a commercial slicer. Look for other brands beside Hobart, like Berkel and Globe. Also look for older smaller models, these would serve what you are looking for in a slicer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yoder YS640; Good-One "Trail Boss" 60T; Weber Kettle rotisserie ring; Big A$$ Rotisserie; New Braunfels offset smoker; Weber Smokey Mountain; Backyard Bombers BBQ HJM

Μολν λαβέ
Pyle's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #14
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Do you have a restaurant supply store (not like restaurant depot) in your area? A lot of times those places sell used equipment.

On the slicers I think you really get what you pay for. I think you answered the question of what are you going to use it for. Not sure how you plan to use it for steaks. I have a $50 or so cooks slicer and I hate the cheap plastic thing that you use to push the meat into the slicer. I wish it was fixed with a threaded rod of some type. It does great on deli meat but you got to keep it even when cutting. On some items they recommend you refrigerate to firm up the item for slicing.

I do like the bigger Hobert type slicers. They seem to be firm when slicing and don't move around.

Old 12-27-2010, 11:35 PM   #15
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Buster, do you not like Restaurant Depot? Ours locally have some used and/or refurbished equipment. Just asking bro.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote