MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:51 PM   #46
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

How many of the board members actively compete? Are Mike Lake and Gene Goycochea are the only two? Do either (or any of the others) compete more than 4-5 times a year?

I'm wondering if the majority of the board even realizes how big of change the chicken suggestions are - or not having set turn in times.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2010, 01:11 PM   #47
BBQ_Mayor
is One Chatty Farker

Why add Propane? There is no purpose to it. Can you image these 10k cookers bringing their kitchen and Amana Ranges. Put the apron on Julia, where making a freaking cake!.

As for Ford. No reason to dis us upright charcoal cookers. It's a little harsh calling us small upright cooker cooks, idiots and drunks and I represent that comment.
WSM, Whole Hog Lousianna pellet Smoker
IPT pellet Smoker and Gateway Drum
CBJ #4643
BBQ_Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-04-2010, 01:15 PM   #48
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ_Mayor View Post
Why add Propane? There is no purpose to it. Can you image these 10k cookers bringing their kitchen and Amana Ranges. Put the apron on Julia, where making a freaking cake!.

As for Ford. No reason to dis us upright charcoal cookers. It's a little harsh calling us small upright cooker cooks, idiots and drunks and I represent that comment.
I second that!!!!!!!

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #49
Lakeside Smoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Chicken – ¾ of the people present requested a change to both white and dark meat be a requirement. Motion if we can come to a recommendation.

Can someone please tell me how many people 3/4 of the people present is?

Thanks
-Mike

In polite society, we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions hobbies. - Stephen King
Lakeside Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #50
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
The one that caught my attention was:

Change to Rule 11
Judging typically starts at Noon on Saturday, but could vary at any contest.
Turn-in times will be announced at the Cooks Meeting.

Does this mean I can't be sure when the turn in times are until I attend a cooks meeting? Does this give the organizers an opporunity to change the turn in times at the last minute? I would rather the turn-in times be "in stone" at time of sanctioning.
I have a real problem with this one. I now understand why the BOD wants to change it but don't agree with their wording. I hope they rethink the wording. Sugggest you write them. I'm thinking this one may pass as of now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty3777 View Post
Who cares if it's cooked with a stick burner or propane? Once it gets drowned in Blueshog, who's going to know the difference? (tongue only slightly in cheek)
Good thing I don't use Blues Hog and still win. But you're right.

Last edited by Ford; 02-04-2010 at 03:20 PM..
Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 01:55 PM   #51
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ_Mayor View Post

My apologies. Not meant to slander all but only the few idiots that get drunk and try to play with fire. This relates back to an early post about drunks and propane. I think propane is safer than drunks with open fires that can be knocked over. People who get falling down drunk should stay away from the fire during the night no matter what the fuel source.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:04 PM   #52
Diva
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeside Smoker View Post
Chicken – ¾ of the people present requested a change to both white and dark meat be a requirement. Motion if we can come to a recommendation.

Can someone please tell me how many people 3/4 of the people present is?

Thanks
-Mike
It wasn't 3/4's....

If they only had 207 people that attended the banquet, I'd find it hard to say there were more than 70 people there.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:15 PM   #53
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
How many cooks were at the rules meeting and was it a fair representation of the KCBS cooks from across the nation?
Oh HELL NO!!! In fact, I'd guess the room was 70% judges, reps and organizers and 30% cooks anyway. Once again, non-cooks making rules for cooks is bullchit!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:17 PM   #54
Jeff_in_KC
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
It wasn't 3/4's....

If they only had 207 people that attended the banquet, I'd find it hard to say there were more than 70 people there.
And of those 70 or so, most were organizers, reps and judges. If we get this crap shoved down our throats, it will be one of the biggest farces KCBS has come up with yet!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:36 PM   #55
goodsmokebbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_in_KC View Post
And of those 70 or so, most were organizers, reps and judges. If we get this crap shoved down our throats, it will be one of the biggest farces KCBS has come up with yet!

Yep, only a handful of cooks...
goodsmokebbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 03:53 PM   #56
Lakeside Smoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for the insight.
Where did this whole chicken thing come from? I stay on top of all the hot topics and discussions on comp BBQ and this is the first time I'm hearing ANYTHING on this issue. Cook any part of the chicken you want (whole or not) and turn in 6 pieces. What's so difficult about that?

-Mike

In polite society, we have an unspoken agreement to call our obsessions hobbies. - Stephen King
Lakeside Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:04 PM   #57
Pig Headed
Babbling Farker

I was at the rules meeting in Philly and I remember the chicken change being proposed by Paul Kirk. Paul said "We don't have a chicken category, we have a thigh category" He went on to say that dark and white meat should be submitted and if someone wanted to submit 6 thighs, then they would have to cook 3 whole chickens to get them. The vast majority voted this down, as others stood up and said in their part of the country, legs do fine and in others, wings hold their own.

The elimination of garnish was supported by the majority, as many said it's wasteful to throw away all that parsley and lettuce.

When the propane issue was brought up, it too was voted down.

I don't understand the complete opposite being proposed to the board.

Pigheaded BBQ Team
www.pigheadedbbq.com
KCBS CBJ

Stumps Stretch (Raquel) Eagles Green.
1 -22" Weber WSM, 1 - 18"Weber WSM's
2 - 22" kettles
6x12 Haulmark Trailer
Pig Headed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:10 PM   #58
crd26a
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pig Headed View Post
I was at the rules meeting in Philly and I remember the chicken change proposed by Paul Kirk being rebuffed by the vast majority as well as the porposed propane. The elimination of garnish was supported by the majority. I don't understand the complete opposite being proposed to the board.
Paul outline the reasons for this in his report
Old 02-04-2010, 04:48 PM   #59
Bride of Roo(BQ'n)
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ique View Post
The one that caught my attention was:

Change to Rule 11
Judging typically starts at Noon on Saturday, but could vary at any contest.
Turn-in times will be announced at the Cooks Meeting.

Does this mean I can't be sure when the turn in times are until I attend a cooks meeting? Does this give the organizers an opporunity to change the turn in times at the last minute? I would rather the turn-in times be "in stone" at time of sanctioning.

At the time of sanctioning is a bit extreme. Deposits have to be made by Dec 1 of the prior year for that years contest for sanctioning. Our contest is in September. While the turn in times have never been anything other than typical, we havent even met yet to decide ancillary categories etc....

Corduroy Pillows are Making Headlines

Operation BBQ for our Troops- Midwest Division
www.operationbbqmw.org
Bride of Roo(BQ'n) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #60
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

Are all those recommendations REALLY the opposite of what the crowd in the Rules Meeting raised their hands for?
(Granted, it was a small sliver of the whole Society, but the BoD knows that... whether they are in Philly, KC, Nashville, or anywhere else the Annual Rules meeting is held.)

...having a Philly moment... would that be 'documentation without representation' ...
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote