MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:34 PM   #376
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola View Post
I was told by the local store manager, and the customer service rep on the telephone that these were and will be available from the stores but they were not going to sell them via the internet any longer. They said there was an issue getting sufficient inventory to keep the store stocked and internet sales covered, so it will be an in store only item from now. Don't know how true this is, but it sounded logical when they told me.

lola
Sounds about right, since on the website it only mentions that you cannot get it from the website. It doesnt mention not being able to get it in stores.
Trumpstylz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2012, 04:01 AM   #377
cropduster
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpstylz View Post
Sounds about right, since on the website it only mentions that you cannot get it from the website. It doesnt mention not being able to get it in stores.
Agreed and also they are still selling the cover for it on the website so that seems to make sense.
cropduster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2012, 06:26 PM   #378
nosbusa
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerpig View Post
I've never seen a BGE in Lowes and I've been in quite a few of them lately.

I haven't either. The closest thing to the BGE I've seen in Lowe's, is the Bayou Classic Cypress for $699. While it's cheaper than the BGE & Primo, I'm concerned about the quality of the product.

I'm thinking about buying a kamado, but not sure which one to buy. The Char-Griller may be the most practical & cheapest option. Think I'll wait a bit before I go out and buy another grill.
nosbusa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2012, 06:42 PM   #379
LostArrow
Full Fledged Farker

Saw a chargriller @ Kroger today.
Has wood shelves but otherwise the same as Lowes. $299
The cast iron grates are thin, not heavy enough to cook seafood or fragile veggies without a basket.
Otherwise a very well built cooker , wish my wife would buy me for my birthday in 3 weeks
LostArrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2012, 08:01 PM   #380
nosbusa
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostArrow View Post
The cast iron grates are thin, not heavy enough to cook seafood or fragile veggies without a basket.
Otherwise a very well built cooker , wish my wife would buy me for my birthday in 3 weeks
If you have a Lowe's card you can get 5% off for just using it. I know 5% isn't much, but every little bit helps. Also, you can get a 10% off moving coupon from Lowe's. I believe the link may be somewhere on this site.

I'm waiting for my 10% coupon to show up in my e-mail. Then I may decide on what I'm going to get. The Bayou Cypress looks pretty cool, but I'm not sure if I want to take a chance with it. Even with Lowe's extended warranty.
nosbusa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2012, 02:52 PM   #381
BigM
Found some matches.

wish i lived over there a chargriller in UK is 634.52$ -850$
BigM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #382
rakerb
Got Wood.

Has anyone been able to buy the “Smokin’ Stone” for the Akorn? (PN 6201)

It isn’t listed on the Char Griller webpage that I can see, just on the Carton at Lowes and in the owner’s Manual.

Brad

Old 03-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #383
tarheelsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakerb View Post
Has anyone been able to buy the “Smokin’ Stone” for the Akorn? (PN 6201)

It isn’t listed on the Char Griller webpage that I can see, just on the Carton at Lowes and in the owner’s Manual.
It will not be available until early April at the earliest. What most people are doing is taking a Weber charcoal grate and setting it where the brackets for the smoking stone are supposed to sit and putting a 16" terra cotta saucer or cast iron pan with the handle removed or a pizza stone. (Brilliant Idea by the OP).

Char Griller makes a pretty good product but their website is not too good.....

--Mike

Old 03-27-2012, 09:04 PM   #384
AZ Smoker
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostArrow View Post

What do you mean the cast iron is too thin to hold seafood? What cast iron?
AZ Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2012, 10:03 PM   #385
GrillinFool
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by lola View Post
I was told by the local store manager, and the customer service rep on the telephone that these were and will be available from the stores but they were not going to sell them via the internet any longer. They said there was an issue getting sufficient inventory to keep the store stocked and internet sales covered, so it will be an in store only item from now. Don't know how true this is, but it sounded logical when they told me.

lola
Lowes donated a couple grills for an event I am doing and I requested this grill as one of them. They said they couldn't because they wouldn't be carrying them much longer at all. I'm not sure why that precludes them donating one, but I couldn't talk them into it. I'd say get it at Lowes quick or find another vendor. Oh, and the Bayou Classic grill is not a longterm item either. Either way, they were extremely generous.
GrillinFool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2012, 07:58 AM   #386
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

I got mine last week and am really happy with it, but I am curious about this. It seems that this new cooker is taking off in popularity and I can't see why they would discontinue it. It just doesn't make sense from a business perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillinFool View Post
Lowes donated a couple grills for an event I am doing and I requested this grill as one of them. They said they couldn't because they wouldn't be carrying them much longer at all. I'm not sure why that precludes them donating one, but I couldn't talk them into it. I'd say get it at Lowes quick or find another vendor. Oh, and the Bayou Classic grill is not a longterm item either. Either way, they were extremely generous.

Old 03-28-2012, 08:08 AM   #387
expatpig
is One Chatty Farker

I spoke to the owner of our local Canadian Tire yesterday, apparently they are going to be selling them, he has 3 coming in. I may just get one.
[B][COLOR=red]Napoleon Apollo[/COLOR][/B]
[COLOR=#ff0000][B]GOSM[/B][/COLOR]

[COLOR=blue][B][I]CSBBQA, KCBS, NOBS(Northern Ontario Barbecue Society)Professional Barbecue Team. USAJFKCENMA.[/I][/B][/COLOR]
expatpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2012, 08:53 AM   #388
GrillinFool
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeyw View Post
I got mine last week and am really happy with it, but I am curious about this. It seems that this new cooker is taking off in popularity and I can't see why they would discontinue it. It just doesn't make sense from a business perspective
No idea. Char-Griller is not discontinuing them, Lowes is just not going to carry them. That may change though. They came out last year, but I hadn't heard of them till this year. I'm guessing the sales were pour last year, but it seems to be taking off meteorically and thus they may change their minds...
GrillinFool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-28-2012, 10:00 AM   #389
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

If they came out last year, the marketing people did a poor job. I go in Lowes all the time and I never saw one in there until recently. Maybe they were just sold under another name by other dealers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrillinFool View Post
No idea. Char-Griller is not discontinuing them, Lowes is just not going to carry them. That may change though. They came out last year, but I hadn't heard of them till this year. I'm guessing the sales were pour last year, but it seems to be taking off meteorically and thus they may change their minds...

Old 03-28-2012, 10:56 PM   #390
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

I asked a manager at my local Lowes today if they were going to be discontinuing the CGK and he told me no and that they were selling very well, so there is conflicting information there somewhere.

Tags
char-griller, chargriller, Kamado