MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #1
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Default Smokey Fred's in SoCal

Going to make a trip Friday with my work buds....

...unless someone waves me off.....

Is Fred a brer?

http://smokeyfredsbbq.com/Home.php

Old 02-04-2014, 01:55 PM   #2
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

Never heard of them.

If in orange, definetly check out Smoqued BBQ.

It's the real deal. Tell the pitmaster Bubba sent ya!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-04-2014, 02:30 PM   #3
gtr

I'm not familiar with them. Let us know how it goes!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #4
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

Never heard of them. Have you ever been to Blake's Place in Anaheim before? I thought they were pretty good

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 07:51 AM   #5
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBBAGA View Post
Never heard of them. Have you ever been to Blake's Place in Anaheim before? I thought they were pretty good
I've been to Blake's (a relative of the owner is a friend of mine) several times, and it's gotten much better over the years. It has weathered the test of time, as at least two other BBQ places (both 1 mile up the road from Smokey Fred's) have come and gone.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:53 AM   #6
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bbq Bubba View Post
Never heard of them.

If in orange, definetly check out Smoqued BBQ.

It's the real deal. Tell the pitmaster Bubba sent ya!

Smoqued is about 2 miles south of this place.

I keep telling myself I'm going to go. My neighbor raves about the place, and I know he's (the owner) a brer. The only problem is getting back on time. Maybe I'll wait for the boss to take a day off, then go. heh heh heh
Old 02-07-2014, 03:03 PM   #7
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

So I went in two days ago, because I couldn't wait.

The Rib Tips were off the chain! Bit through and ate the cartilage. Not many places can say that.

He was out of mac and cheese that day....

But I took some friends with me today.

He opens at 10am, but he is out of brisket. Ran out last night. Steeeerike one...
He is out of Mac and Cheese and Potato salad.......Steeeeerike two....
We sampled (paid for) polska kielbasa, hot links and pulled pork....Foul tip

Verdict:

Not impressed. We might call ahead to see if he has brisket before driving down. BUt then again, we may just keep on driving down to Smoqued, where if they run out of brisket at night, they pull another one out of the cooler and start it up.

Note to CRocke: A number of people were there commenting on BBQ places that are here and that went away (Scotty's, Tulsa Rib, Blake's, Famous Dave's, Smoqued, Big B's, Burrell's) Two different people mentioned Rancho and wanted to know where you went. You have fans! Maybe I need to get some cards from you so I can pass them out when I am out tasting Q....
Old 02-07-2014, 03:16 PM   #8
gtr

Thanks for the update. I just went to Swingin' Door in North Hollywood. We got tri tip, baby backs, and hot links (they said the brisket wasn't ready). I liked the hot links. As for the rest...nope.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-07-2014, 05:07 PM   #9
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

I will be taking that one off my list. You really have to try Smoqued - it is a "fancied up" BBQ restaurant, but they take their food and beer seriously. I am obsessed with their 420 Mac and Cheese
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUBBAGA View Post
Everything was delicious, especially my 420 Mac... look at that pile of cheesy goodness

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 02-07-2014, 05:37 PM   #10
Big Ace
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJohn View Post
Note to CRocke: A number of people were there commenting on BBQ places that are here and that went away (Scotty's, Tulsa Rib, Blake's, Famous Dave's, Smoqued, Big B's, Burrell's) Two different people mentioned Rancho and wanted to know where you went. You have fans! Maybe I need to get some cards from you so I can pass them out when I am out tasting Q....
Burrells is still open. http://www.burrellsbbq.com/

CRocke is still around, but I think its catering only, no store front. http://www.ranchotogobbq.com/
Old 02-08-2014, 11:01 PM   #11
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ace View Post
Burrells is still open. http://www.burrellsbbq.com/

CRocke is still around, but I think its catering only, no store front. http://www.ranchotogobbq.com/
Please don't get me started on Burrell's......

ETA:

For the record, here are the known BBQ places within a 20 mile radius of my job:

Dickey's (the probe slid in to the thickest part of the flat)
Lucille's
Big B's
Blake's
Famous Dave's
Smoqued
Smokey Fred's
Tulsa Rib Company
Tustin Roadhouse
Burrell's
Johnny Reb's (yeah, yeah I know, but they claim they smoke their food)
Wood Ranch (same thing)

I have not, as yet, visited Tulsa Rib or Smoqued.

I did sample Rancho to go's pulled pork one time. Mrs SJ never lets anyone eat in her car, but an exception was made for the pulled pork.
Tul

Last edited by SmokinJohn; 02-08-2014 at 11:10 PM.. Reason: Removed the tape for a second
SmokinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 06:01 PM   #12
Big Ace
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJohn View Post
So I went in two days ago, because I couldn't wait.

The Rib Tips were off the chain! Bit through and ate the cartilage. Not many places can say that.

He was out of mac and cheese that day....

But I took some friends with me today.

He opens at 10am, but he is out of brisket. Ran out last night. Steeeerike one...
He is out of Mac and Cheese and Potato salad.......Steeeeerike two....
We sampled (paid for) polska kielbasa, hot links and pulled pork....Foul tip

Verdict:

Not impressed. We might call ahead to see if he has brisket before driving down. BUt then again, we may just keep on driving down to Smoqued, where if they run out of brisket at night, they pull another one out of the cooler and start it up.

Had the day off today and was in the neighborhood to get some wood at the wood shed and decided to check out Freds with my 6 YO son. Turned out this place is in the old Scotties location. Freds uses what appeared to be a gravity fed smoker(looked like a Viking, which I think is a rebranded Stumps)

Anyways, I ordered the Lexington PP sammich for myself and was going to order 1lb brisket for my son to nibble on and then bring the rest back to my wife. But same situation as you, out of brisket, this time at 12:30, but he did say he would have some ready in "2 hours". So ordered a 1/2 rack of spares instead.

Spares were great, PP sammich was good, my only critique would be sammy needed more coleslaw and the PP was a little mushy. Didn't request any sides, but overheard him rattling off a list of sides seemed they only had 4 sides available at that time.

Tags
bbq, opening, socal