MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 06-28-2018, 05:50 PM   #1
mproost
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Matthew
Default Best BBQ in Kansas City/Overland Park, KS?

What are the best BBQ restaurants in Overland Park/Olathe KS Area?

I am going to be in the area for the weekend and our hotel frowned on me bringing my own cooker......
mproost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-2018, 06:05 PM   #2
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Q39 is my favorite, their brisket and burnt ends are best I've had in a restaurant. I frequent Joe's KC and Jack Stack as well, all basically in Overland Park. Lots of other options if you venture out of O.P. but you cant go wrong with Q39 IMO.
Old 06-28-2018, 06:28 PM   #3
abracc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
Q39 is my favorite, their brisket and burnt ends are best I've had in a restaurant. I frequent Joe's KC and Jack Stack as well, all basically in Overland Park. Lots of other options if you venture out of O.P. but you cant go wrong with Q39 IMO.

Agree...get there as early as you can. Got there right after they opened and in 15 minutes it was packed and people waiting to get in the door.
abracc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 06-28-2018, 07:12 PM   #4
BBQ Freak
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : BBQ Mojo

Joe's KC but the one in the gas station .

Luke's Firepits / Grill

Lone Star Grillz Mini Insulated Cabinet Smoker
BBQ Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:16 PM   #5
RemoGaggi
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RemoGaggi

I just did a KC trip a few weeks. Joe's BBQ (gas station) and Q39 were tops for us. The ribs and burnt ends at both places were great and really made me rethink how I can step my game up to try to produce food like that. If you are there on a Saturday, go to Joes around 10:30 to beat the line for the burnt ends. You will not be disappointed.

We went to Jackstacks, and I was very disappointed. We sampled the a plate with the big beef rib, pork ribs, and burnt ends. I thought the beef had a steamed quality to it and the pork ribs should never had made it onto a plate - it was that bad. To me, JS is an wanna be high end restaurant masquerading as a BBQ restaurant.

We went to Slap's BBQ and tried the sampler plate with pork ribs and burnt ends. While I thought the texture on both were perfect, the rub/sauce they use there is too sweet for my liking. If you like sweet, you'll like this place. If you don't like sweet, don't bother.

And, we had to try Arthur Bryants, mainly for the historical significance. It's a cool joint. The burnt ends were not very good. Tasted like stew meat mixed with sauce. I thought the pork ribs were good, not great. I did, however, like their sauce. It's a different type of sauce, and I liked it. You'll either really like it or hate it. I don't believe there's much in between.

If you get a chance, be sure to stop by the Kansas City BBQ Store. They've got ALL the best rubs and sauces. And you can sample pretty much every rub. We spent over an hour there sampling, checking out the gear, and talking with them. Super nice people there and we ended up buying so much rub to take home, our bags got the special treatment at the airport on the way home.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:17 PM   #6
TLQ

Name/Nickname : Tony

If you venture a little north, SLAPS.
TLQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 07:17 PM   #7
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Non-native, and still have a lot of places to hit, but Q39 rocks. I think you will also need to check out Joes KC BBQ, BB's Lawnside BBQ
Old 06-28-2018, 10:24 PM   #8
Lomey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I will add The Woodyard to the list. Not OP, but very close.
Lomey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 10:31 PM   #9
sudsandswine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemoGaggi View Post
We went to Jackstacks, and I was very disappointed. We sampled the a plate with the big beef rib, pork ribs, and burnt ends. I thought the beef had a steamed quality to it and the pork ribs should never had made it onto a plate - it was that bad. To me, JS is an wanna be high end restaurant masquerading as a BBQ restaurant.
Did you go to the one in Overland Park? I've had a couple bad meals from there but have probably eaten there 30 or 40 times and it's almost always good (though not on the level of Q39 etc) - it's a different style. Unfortunate that you had a bad experience, though.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:20 AM   #10
RemoGaggi
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : RemoGaggi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
Did you go to the one in Overland Park? I've had a couple bad meals from there but have probably eaten there 30 or 40 times and it's almost always good (though not on the level of Q39 etc) - it's a different style. Unfortunate that you had a bad experience, though.
I should have been more specific. I went to the Freight House one.
Old 06-29-2018, 07:39 AM   #11
Porcine Perfection
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : ...

LCs is a dive and a bit of a drive from Overland Park, but the best BBQ in KC (next to mine ) in my opinion.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:06 AM   #12
mproost

Name/Nickname : Matthew

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I will definitely stop by the Joe's KC gas station and q39. I've been to Jack Stack's and it wasn't my preference either, but it also could have been affected by the dozen 10 year old soccer players I was there with;)

I am definitely going to try to make it to the KC BBQ store, that sounds awesome!
mproost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:08 PM   #13
MoKanMeathead
is One Chatty Farker

Smoking Guns in North Kansas City is worth the trip!
MoKanMeathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 10:03 PM   #14
sudsandswine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoKanMeathead View Post
Smoking Guns in North Kansas City is worth the trip!
I still need to try that place out, I frequently use their rub by proxy Us south of the river people don't venture north of the river very often and feel very out of place when we do, though.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:16 PM   #15
cowboyupbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Eric

I go to Joes in Olathe so I can go to KC BBQ Store,across the parking lot. Slap is really good too. Maybe I’m lucky Ive never had a bad meal at Jack Stack, and the crown beef rib is very good.