Butt's on a new MES 40, little help Please..

Joetown Parrothead

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Going to cook a couple of 7.5lb butt's on a new MES 40 for new years eve... 1st time, any help would be grateful? Have them rubbed down in cooler right now...

Thanks,
BR

IMG_2788.jpg

IMG_2790.jpg

IMG_2792.jpg

What time are you serving? How many pounds are each? More details would be helpful. I'm sure you will get plenty of help...just give us as many details as possible...

Have fun and happy new year.

Sorry... They are 7.5lb's ea.. Would like to have them ready around 7pm..
I was thinking 90min per pound?? I have always used a Brinkman offset barrell smoker and this is the 1st time for butts with this one...

Thanks for any help..

I have no experience with that smoker, but in general figure 90 minutes per pound at a cook temp of 225 - 250. Allow plenty of time. If they are done early just wrap them in a couple of layers of foil and put them in a dry, preheated cooler with towels or newspaper for insulation. They will stay very hot for a few hours (maybe longer). I try to get at least two hours of cooler time for butts as a rule. I think it helps the juices circulate.

I doubt it would hurt anything. You're going to extend the overall cooking time, of course. What time tonight? They could be done extremely early if you put them on too soon.

Thats probably OK. You'll want to kick up the temp in the morning since you're probably looking at 2 hours per pound at 200 degrees.

Thank You Ron for the help, I will get more active around here as we go.. I have 2 Brinkman Cookers and I am just learning on this new Electric one.. Found this board and really like it so far... Even think I am going to roll a fatty for tomorrow night..

+ 1 on rolling a fatty! :biggrin1:

What temp are you runnng the cooker Parrot?

Running at 275 right now, gonna drop it to 250 in 3 hours.. It is 30 outside with some serious wind so getting her heated up good..

Ok after 4 hours, rotated & turned. Sprayed down with Apple Juice. Smoker running at 267, brought down to 250... Meat Probe running 154.. SHould I do anything else??

IMG_2794.jpg

IMG_2795.jpg

Yeah... Stop looking :-D

They look good! What is the last picture? It looks like the butt has been sliced?

Yeah... Stop looking :-D

They look good! What is the last picture? It looks like the butt has been sliced?

The back one was fat side down and when I turned it the little bit of bark it had on it stuck to the grill... Now I will leave them alone untill 2pm then spray them and turn them again????

That's up to you. I don't flip or spray. The heat source on my pit is at the bottom so I cook fat down the whole time.

Since you have a remote probe in there just start checking to see if they are done at about 190 degrees. Some butts will be probe tender at 190, others not until 200. It depends on how much internal fat and connective tissue there is.

BTW, the butts are about to enter the stall, where all of the magic happens. Don't be surprised if they hang in that temp range for a couple of hours. Once they come out of the stall the temps will start to climb more rapidly.

Thank you Ron.. Now I have got all the stuff to make my first fatty.. Gonna stuff it with Green & Red Peppers, Red Onions, Pepper Jack Cheese... Should I cook the Peppers & Onions first??

I would cook them until they start to soften. They won't cook much inside the fatty.

I hope that you are doing a naked fatty along with that stuffed one! :-D

Back