UDS heat diffuser

BRBBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Last week I decided to put some kind of heat diffuser between the charcoal basket and the food in my UDS. Basically what happened was, I removed the lid on the UDs, the lump coal kicked into high and I got burnt food:becky: let's say I was unhappy, my fault because I didn't watch it. I seen a post by Alien BBQ about the heat diffuser in an UDS, so I made a make shift plate, and put it to use today, I'm happy with the results. I assume all the juices and mopping every 2 hrs dripped on the plate causing a moist environment keeping food tender and juicy, the diffuser also kept a mess from the coals.:thumb: I used RO Lump during todays test run, temps were easy to control and steady, the food was tender and juicy. I didn't use any foil while cooking the rack of ribs, I was surprised how the meat pulled back on the bone, that's never happened, (could of been mopping every 2 hrs:becky:). Also, everyone liked the chicken, but I thought it was just ok. I deboned thighs and scraped fat off the skin, what a pain, I might try muffin pans:becky:, either way I need to cook more chicken.. :focus: Anyway Main reason for diffuser was in hope of stopping combustion air from getting to Lump so fast, or slow it down once lid was removed, I'm happy. Sorry No pic of my diffuser,, but similar to Alien BBQ's in attachment. OK I guess his attatchment won't show. If ?'s let me know.

Attachments

• ribs 192.jpg
    ribs 192.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 1,007
  • ribs 195 (2).jpg
    ribs 195 (2).jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 989
  • untitled.bmp
    434.2 KB · Views: 1,096
Wow looks great, nice shrinkage on the ribs. I use a 16 inch steel bowl as a water bath and a defuser. Love my UDS"s!

I use a "grilling wok" that I got at Menards for less than $10.
I'll look into one. Are you filling it up with water? My intent during yesterdays cook was to slow down combustion air to Lump, I didn't like the run away fire:mad2::becky:

I use the big brinkman charcoal pan that most people use in the WSM as a water pan. I use it as a water pan as well in the UDS.

Nice looking food you got there. Diffuser plates are the way to go IMHO with these drums.

Mine is a 30 gallon cover with a bunch of "scientifically determined" holes drilled in it. I have drilled more since this picture was taken.

P1130261.jpg

Question for you: Do you notice a bit more fuel consumption with your diffuser in place?

I've made a diffuser by covering the lower rack with HD foil and using the top rack to smoke. I've found that I can keep the temp a little lower when I'm smoking fish by doing that and I like the way the fish comes out better than directly over the fire.

Nice looking food you got there. Diffuser plates are the way to go IMHO with these drums.

Mine is a 30 gallon cover with a bunch of "scientifically determined" holes drilled in it. I have drilled more since this picture was taken.

P1130261.jpg

Question for you: Do you notice a bit more fuel consumption with your diffuser in place?
I like your idea, my attachment above is some thing I would like to try also, I just have to find some thing big enough. My make shift diffuser was tin foil. I will say I used no water and like the results. More testing to come. To answer your question about fuel consumption, hardly any was used, below is a pic I took of the unburned Lump. I started drum fire at 10:45 am, once smoker reached 210F I threw the ribs on. They/it cooked at a temp of 210- 230F, I did see a 250 once but closed a vent and I was back at 230F until done, which was around 5-5:30pm. After ribs were done I opened all vents and threw the chicken on, they cooked at 325F for another 40 mins. I then moved them to the gas grill since I was cooking other things. Overall not much Lump was used, I'm suprised.

Attachments

• coal 001.jpg
    coal 001.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 892
  • coal 002.jpg
    coal 002.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 893
I have been using a pizza stone covered in foil. So far so good for me, noticed a little less char flavor but the wifey loves it.

I use a "grilling wok" that I got at Menards for less than $10.

I'll look into one. Are you filling it up with water? My intent during yesterdays cook was to slow down combustion air to Lump, I didn't like the run away fire:mad2::becky:

Here's a pic of one style, they also make a round one. The heat gets spread out more evenly while still allowing the fats & juices to drip down onto the coals, giving you that "over the camp fire" flavor :thumb:. Also, here's a helpfull hint: Close your air intakes for a few minutes before you open the lid (voice of experiance mod).

MG1zVzAGVpk7vcp1fwNUWrIxRvD2zLFWN6WsQEr22XG6MOLeGZNhQ9zS4MWgI7ub5CvdDYwBZ66shWljv8mRbQiKi3awA0C16Ij1UMUlgBtCVZjuFm7Px83TODkmtdsihcwl72D6wq7YcGPV2nQD-cMtWr5pvFGc-6EhdLxk8huCkhpaLrS_wg

Here's a pic of one style, they also make a round one. The heat gets spread out more evenly while still allowing the fats & juices to drip down onto the coals, giving you that "over the camp fire" flavor :thumb:. Also, here's a helpfull hint: Close your air intakes for a few minutes before you open the lid (voice of experiance mod).

MG1zVzAGVpk7vcp1fwNUWrIxRvD2zLFWN6WsQEr22XG6MOLeGZNhQ9zS4MWgI7ub5CvdDYwBZ66shWljv8mRbQiKi3awA0C16Ij1UMUlgBtCVZjuFm7Px83TODkmtdsihcwl72D6wq7YcGPV2nQD-cMtWr5pvFGc-6EhdLxk8huCkhpaLrS_wg
I have seen those, glad you showed me what one looked like.

I've been working on one for a few months, here's my latest revision, one more to go;

diffuserrev2.jpg

Back