MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

Default 4 and 20 MOINK Balls...

Having wasted several other good ideas for the 2010 MOINK Ball Challenge by posting them in advance of the contest post it was time to get serious and come up with yet another MOINK Ball dish worthy of entering.

I couldn't use the MOINK Calzone (later to be properly identified as a MOINK Stromboli)...

And I couldn't use the MOINK Fondue...

And I couldn't use the Swedish MOINK Balls (too bad, they were real good)...

And there was no way I was going to enter anything from the Great Dim Sum Disaster...

So for inspiration I turned to a recent trip to Scotland where we were served Steak and Ale Pie and decided to mess with that tradition by cooking MOINK and Ale Pie. This is a savory dish following in the tradition of a satisfying meaty pie stuffed with a puffed pastry top.

And yes, there were Four and Twenty MOINK Balls baked in this pie…

MOINK & Ale Pie
Ingredients
  • 24 MOINK Balls
  • 4 medium roasting potatoes (gold, white, or red potatoes)
  • 3-4 slices bacon, chopped
  • 8 oz. fresh mushrooms, chopped
  • 2 medium onions, chopped
  • 1 heaping tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 16 oz. dark ale or beer
  • 1 cup beef stock
  • 2 tablespoons of flour mixed well in 1/4 cup cold water
  • 1 package puffed pastry dough (2 sheets)
  • Egg wash (1 medium egg and egg white from 1 medium egg)
  • Salt and pepper to taste
Directions

Prepare MOINK Balls per International MOINK Ball Appreciation Society guidelines. For this cook, I went with a rub consisting of Cajun seasoning mix, granulated garlic, and some crushed dried parsley and basil.

Do not add glaze or sauce at the end of the cook, and remove when bacon is done but before it is crisp (about 90 minutes on a smoker at 225°F should be sufficient). Roast the potatoes on your smoker while the MOINK is cooking; remove when cooked thoroughly but still firm.

Chop the bacon into small pieces and add to a skillet over high heat. Add in the butter and onions. Cook at high heat and stir regularly until the onions are caramelized.

Now add the garlic and mushrooms and stir thoroughly. Slowly pour in the ale or beer, giving it a chance to reduce a bit before adding the beef stock. Bring to low boil and stir in the flour and water mixture. Reduce heat, cover, and let simmer for 45 minutes to an hour. When finished, the mushrooms will be nice and soft and the liquid a nice golden brown color.

To prepare the pie, lightly grease or oil a cast iron skillet, large pie pan, or casserole dish. Dice the potatoes into 1/2 inch chunks and line the bottom of the pan. Cover this layer with the MOINK Balls.

Now cover evenly by spooning the onion/mushroom mixture over the top. When finished, the middle of the mixture should be above the upper lip of the skillet/pan/baking dish.

Brush some of the egg wash onto the edge of the pan to help the pastry dough stick. Roll two of the puff pastry sheets together carefully then place over the top of the pie. Trim off the excess pastry dough, leaving about 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch around the outside of the pan. Crimp the edges of the dough with your thumbs and fingers to form a seal and stop the pastry shrinking during cooking. Brush the top of the dough with the remaining egg wash, then cut a few slits in the top with a sharp knife to allow steam to escape.

Cook for 25-30 minutes in a 400°F oven (or until pastry is golden brown).

Remove from oven, cut into wedges, serve and enjoy!

If you liked what you saw here, jump on over to Larry's 2010 Challenge Results post and leave some comments on my entry. Think of this as an extended throwdown without the fancy poll at the top. And yes, this is an unabashed begging for your vote; don't think that it isn't.

And if you don’t like what you saw here, go over there anyway and leave some comments on one of the other entries. Remember, be nice…
MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient[/COLOR][/B]
[SIZE=2]Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and [URL="http://noexcusesbbq.com/archives/2987"]the CrockaQue[/URL][/SIZE]
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #2
SmokeJumper
is One Chatty Farker

Awesome Paul!! That looks amazing and you obviously nailed the pastry.

I simply couldn't find the block time to put together my entry idea that might trump my last MOINK cook attempt. Baby Tessa needs tending every 10 minutes or so...

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-12-2010, 11:14 AM   #3
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

Great entry Paul!

If you'd like to give Paul a vote for the contest just pop over to his link above and leave a positive comment...

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeJumper View Post
Awesome Paul!! That looks amazing and you obviously nailed the pastry.

I simply couldn't find the block time to put together my entry idea that might trump my last MOINK cook attempt. Baby Tessa needs tending every 10 minutes or so...
Thank Baby Tessa for me. I'm not sure I could have stood up to anything that topped that monster you cooked; it was the bar I was trying to top when I made all these.
[SIZE=2]Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and [URL="http://noexcusesbbq.com/archives/2987"]the CrockaQue[/URL][/SIZE]

Old 09-12-2010, 11:17 AM   #5
Phubar

I love it all Zyd!!!

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2010, 11:29 AM   #6
bluetang

Name/Nickname : Mike

I'd hit that in a heartbeat
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest [COLOR=purple]Purple[/COLOR] Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2010, 11:33 AM   #7
Vince B
is one Smokin' Farker

Wow that looks really good! Is Larry the moink ball Nazi or what? Some of those dishes looked fabulous. I'm guessing they were not prepared per the rules of the contest. Sorry Larry I just had to say it!

Old 09-12-2010, 11:35 AM   #8
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince B View Post
Wow that looks really good! Is Larry the moink ball Nazi or what? Some of those dishes looked fabulous. I'm guessing they were not prepared per the rules of the contest. Sorry Larry I just had to say it!
First of all, I take great offense to having the word Nazi used in conjunction with my name...

Second...yes, all the MOINK Balls were made according to the rules. If you had taken the time to read all the entry posts you would have noticed that all were made by the rules.

Third...why be so farking negative...

Fourth...Adding a stupid smiley doesn't make it better...

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2010, 11:37 AM   #9
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince B View Post
It was Larry's contest and the rules clearly stated that no pictures/blog posts/etc. could go up in advance of the contest voting post. I had several different things I wanted to try, so I went ahead and knowingly violated the rules for the first several cooks thinking I could do better and not wanting to waste perfectly good material for blog posts. The Great Dim Sum Disaster was supposed to be the entry, but it turned out horribly wrong.

Oh, and before Larry says it, it's MOINK.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #10
Old Smoke
is one Smokin' Farker

Great looking pie

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]"Brown it's cookin', black it's done"....................Dad. [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Guess that is why he was truck driver, not a chef......:shocked:[/FONT]
Old Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2010, 12:09 PM   #11
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Nice job zydecopaws, very inspirational. I think I'll start working on a MOINK Shepherd's Pie. Not for competition, just for good eats.

What a great canvas MOINKs are for culinary creativity! Larry, I'm sure you're very proud!
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2010, 12:12 PM   #12
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

By the way, in case it wasn't clear in the first post, there is a contest going on here. With prizes. Please take a minute to go over to the contest entry and VOTE BY LEAVING A COMMENT.

And yes, that was a shameless plug for your vote. I would really like to win the plaque that goes with this contest.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #13
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by zydecopaws View Post
By the way, in case it wasn't clear in the first post, there is a contest going on here. With prizes. Please take a minute to go over to the contest entry and VOTE BY LEAVING A COMMENT.

And yes, that was a shameless plug for your vote. I would really like to win the plaque that goes with this contest.
You got my vote, good luck!
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-12-2010, 12:19 PM   #14
Vince B
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post
Fourth...Adding a stupid smiley doesn't make it better...
JFWY!

Old 09-12-2010, 08:01 PM   #15
SmokinAussie

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill

Yours looks the best of the 3, no doubt about it...

Beef, Bacon, Beer and Pastry... I'd say that covers my idea of a really good dinner!

Cheers!

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote