Pork Butt Injection help!

T

tmarksinc

I am going to cook a pork butt this weekend & I have never injected one, anyone have a great injection recipe you know is da bomb for pork butts? Thanks!

I would imagine you're gonna get a lot of different answers here...my advice is to think "apples" and go from there...a simple injection of apple juice or apple cider mixed with a little of your favorite butt rub works wonders. Good luck...and have fun! :biggrin:

I did one yesterday with apple juice and Plowboys Yardbird and it was great

Or, try coca-cola with your favorite rub. Take a food processor, grind down your favorite rub to a fine powder, de-fizz your coke, add seasoning to coke and inject. Tastes great.

I would imagine you're gonna get a lot of different answers here...my advice is to think "apples" and go from there...a simple injection of apple juice or apple cider mixed with a little of your favorite butt rub works wonders. Good luck...and have fun! :biggrin:

Ditto.

I use a shot of jim beam, a shot of apple juice, a squirt of Worcestershire, a squirt of Tabasco, and some bbq rub. If it tastes good over ice it will be good inside the pig.
jon

I just pump it up with apple juice then give it a rubdown with my pork rub. Works for me.

Apple Juice for flavor and moisture
White Vinegar for tenderness
Rub for flavor

I use a shot of jim beam, a shot of apple juice, a squirt of Worcestershire, a squirt of Tabasco, and some bbq rub. If it tastes good over ice it will be good inside the pig.
jon

Interesting.

I use a modified Chris Lillys.

I helped a team 2 years ago that had Chris Lillys injection ready to go. They came to me and I did a quick salt formulation and gave them a suggestion on how much of my pork injection to ad to it and they did. They won 3rd place at that comp.

thanks for the help, is there a method anyone has found that works best on injecting? Any other tips on injecting would be helpful, not skilled with injecting used to using only dry methods

Inject into the middle of the butt, all over. Put in as much as you can. Here is a very good recipe...

Chris Lilly's Six-time World Championship Pork Shoulder

Recipe By : Chris Lilly of Big Bob Gibson's
Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
-------- ------------ --------------------------------
For the pork shoulder rub
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup paprika
1/3 cup garlic salt
1/3 cup kosher salt
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon oregano leaves
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon black pepper
-----------
Pork injection
3/4 cup apple juice
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup salt
2 tablespoons Worcestershire
------------
1 whole pork shoulder (approximately 16 pounds)
1 bottle Big Bob Gibson Championship Red Sauce (or substitute your favorite BBQ sauce)

Inject pork shoulder evenly with injection solution. Apply a generous amount of rub onto meat. Pat so the rub will adhere. Place in a smoker and cook with indirect heat for 16 hours on 225˚F. Serve with sauce on the side or paint shoulder with sauce the last 20 minutes of cooking. When done, the pork should pull off the bones easily. The internal temperature of the pork should reach 195˚F.

Man I was just gonna do a brisket this weekend but after reading this I think I may need to try a pork butt and inject it for the first time ever too.

Back