MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-02-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
Emil
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Moink Balls Questions

I plan on making some Moink Balls using my UDS. Plan on using meatballs from the store. I'm sure you can do them several different ways.

Thinking about using Big Rons rub on them. Anyone put rub on both bacon and meatballs? Over kill?
Since meatballs are already cooked(I think) they just need some smoke and heat. Should you partially cook the bacon ahead of time?
What's a good BBQ sauce to brush on before you pull them off?

Thanks
Emil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
stiffy
Full Fledged Farker

Good Luck with the MOINK balls!!!!

I just made some yest. after the bacon was wrapped around meatball then I sprinkled w/ the rub.

225* for an hour and then 325* for a half hour to crisp the bacon. Search function at the bottom works.

My MOINK balls Yesterday
stiffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

I've had a little experience with this subject...

Meatball (all beef)
1/2 slice of bacon wrapped around meatball and secured with toothpick
Rub with your favorite Rub.

On smoker for 70 minutes at 225 degrees. Sauce (whatever sauce you desire) and return to smoker for 20 to 30 minutes to set the sauce.

Serve...

This is how my MOINK Ball rolls...

(Please note the proper capitalization of the word MOINK)

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
Phesant
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post

Meatball (all beef)

On smoker for 70 minutes at 225 degrees. Sauce (whatever sauce you desire) and return to smoker for 20 to 30 minutes to set the sauce.

Serve...

Larry Are You Sure

Great explaination.....

Now if only it's done that way

WSM
Char-Griller Super Pro w/SFB
Grill Sargent
Turkey / Fish Fryer
Weber Ranch Kettle "Lucky Girl" (A Stamp, 1979), [COLOR=darkorange][B]ORANGE THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Proud member of the Zero's :thumb:[/COLOR]
Phesant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
Emil

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ Grail View Post

Meatball (all beef)

Serve...

Thanks for the info. Mea culpa on the spelling. You learn something everyday.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil View Post
Since meatballs are already cooked(I think) they just need some smoke and heat. Should you partially cook the bacon ahead of time?
What's a good BBQ sauce to brush on before you pull them off?
I am not as experienced as Larry in all things MOINK, but since I was party of the founding fathers of IMBAS I guess I can chime in

You certainly could par-cook the bacon to speed up the process, but part of the goodness of MOINK Balls is the fat from the bacon getting into the meat balls.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
Emil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I am not as experienced as Larry in all things MOINK, but since I was party of the founding fathers of IMBAS I guess I can chime in

You certainly could par-cook the bacon to speed up the process, but part of the goodness of MOINK Balls is the fat from the bacon getting into the meat balls.

The reason I was asking about par-cooking the bacon was I was worried about the meatball being on the smoker too long especially if they are already cooked. I thought they might dry out too much. Making my own meatball I wouldn't have that concern. I guess the fat from the bacon would prevent that from happening plus I'd be putting some sort of sauce on them towards the end of the cook. Thanks.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
"Sparky"
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emil View Post
The reason I was asking about par-cooking the bacon was I was worried about the meatball being on the smoker too long especially if they are already cooked. I thought they might dry out too much. Making my own meatball I wouldn't have that concern. I guess the fat from the bacon would prevent that from happening plus I'd be putting some sort of sauce on them towards the end of the cook. Thanks.
I've only made them once but I used(still frozen)meatballs.Not sure if that's the "right way",but it worked for me

"Sparky" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #9
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Newbie here, but long time cook and registered Fat Boy. Is it proper to make your own meatballs and then wrap with bacon to smoke? I was thinking about some nice seasoned ground chuck, mixed with oinions and green peppers wrapped in bacon and then seasoned with rub. Smoked on the (I have to build one) UDS, sauced and then consumed. Sound right
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2010, 07:56 PM   #10
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
Newbie here, but long time cook and registered Fat Boy. Is it proper to make your own meatballs and then wrap with bacon to smoke? I was thinking about some nice seasoned ground chuck, mixed with oinions and green peppers wrapped in bacon and then seasoned with rub. Smoked on the (I have to build one) UDS, sauced and then consumed. Sound right

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...36&postcount=1

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.

Old 01-02-2010, 08:22 PM   #11
1_T_Scot
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman View Post
Naww Save them Good Meat balls for Something Worthy of a good Recipe. Like meatball sandwhich or spagetti etc...

The cheapo premade meat balls are what most people use Unless they are not available.

Supporting Disabled Veterans. Link Removed. Diveheart .org

Large Big Green Egg - Fathers Day 2009
1_T_Scot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2010, 08:28 PM   #12
BBQ Grail

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_T_Scot View Post
Naww Save them Good Meat balls for Something Worthy of a good Recipe. Like meatball sandwhich or spagetti etc...

The cheapo premade meat balls are what most people use Unless they are not available.

It's 2010 and the new warm, fuzzy BBQ Grail has taken over. So I will just thank you for your opinion, as ill-informed and mean-spirited, as it is.

Email me for details.

Old 01-02-2010, 09:19 PM   #13
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Bought the stuff for my MOINK balls and a Fattie. Wood is soaking and I am getting up early to start my smoker and prepare the goods. I will post pics of the process. This board is GREAT I am one happy Farker.

Bluesman
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2010, 09:22 PM   #14
MOS95B
is one Smokin' Farker

ccording to the rules I had to follow to get MOINK certified, pre-made meatballs are a requirement. Exceptions have been made in cases where pre-made meatballs were not commercially avaiable.
MOS95B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-03-2010, 12:58 AM   #15
NorthwestBBQ

I sprinkle the rub on the side of the bacon.

NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote