MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-16-2009, 10:53 AM   #211
Thawley
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thawley View Post
Sunday's brisket was rubbed with only two things: Lawry's & Monterey steak seasoning.
Whoops – almost forgot – I also covered the top of the brisket with four fresh onions worth of slices. Think that idea came from another thread.
Thawley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2009, 04:52 PM   #212
millsy
is One Chatty Farker

Was this moved into roadmaps?

Old 04-18-2009, 12:32 PM   #213
QDoc
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
What I take away from this is that competition BBQ is schizophrenic.

Here goes... BBQ has an initial accepted, conservative definition. The envelope is then pushed by some who refuse to be defined by convention (Prince), which is received with great acceptance, except for the purists (Industry).

Here's where I get confused...Does the new guard (Prince) become the old guard (Prince 2.0) by going back to the original convention once proving that the new convention worked? Or once the envelope bursts because of unskilled cooks seeking glory instead of purity (Prince Thieves) polluting the air with continual over tweaking, the purist (Ray Charles) is back in vogue? Or is it both. I was kind of lost on the innovation of Prince and then the stripping away all of the new innovations to take it back.

If either are true, then the only relevant standard in BBQ is what tickles the tongue "Right Now". If the old school "sound" is what is hip, then that is what you roll with. When that sound becomes passe, then you better start innovating (tweaking). At some point the tweaking also becomes passe and what was old is now new again.

Looking back through the history of KCBS comp BBQ (the only history I'm really versed in) there are many signs o the times (Did you see what I did there?) that had their day, but were more a flash in the pan.

Here's what I think... for what it is worth. Good is good. Complex and simple can both be good and work at a competition. You catch the timing right with either direction and you could walk away a hero. It is like an artist who was either ahead of their time... or behind. A strong foundation of your craft is key whether you are a pitmaster or a funkmaster. I'll be doing a S&P brisket soon to exercise my skills and bring it back.
I must confess my knowledge of Funk is limited and I've always considered my self a traditionalist and growing up in the 50's and 60's tradition to me is rhythm and blues and rock and roll. That being said I have kept every tie I've ever owned and some of the old ones I have recently worn. However, I never kept my leisure suits and bell bottoms.
Enjoyed this thread immencely.
QDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2009, 12:49 PM   #214
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by QDoc View Post
I must confess my knowledge of Funk is limited and I've always considered my self a traditionalist and growing up in the 50's and 60's tradition to me is rhythm and blues and rock and roll. That being said I have kept every tie I've ever owned and some of the old ones I have recently worn. However, I never kept my leisure suits and bell bottoms.
Enjoyed this thread immencely.
As a child I wore those polyester suits but at about 36 (YEAR 2000?) I bought a vintage one to wear as a salesman to compete with another salesman (who was 80 and wore these suits everyday) He was a top seller with his polyester sunburst paisley suits. Sold circles around me... I was forever the number 2 salesperson because of him.

These suits are HOT to wear. My God they don't breathe! I wore a PINE green double breasted one with Shamrock Buttons.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:58 PM   #215
Thawley
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
I wore a PINE green double breasted one with Shamrock Buttons.
Photos?
Thawley is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2009, 01:05 PM   #216
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

I wish... Plus... somebody threw it away when I took it off and left it there... or stole it LOL

I was out of 15 bucks

Old 08-25-2010, 11:26 AM   #217
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

Lordy lordy how I love to read this thread every so often!
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-2010, 11:39 AM   #218
leanza
Babbling Farker

Classic, for sure.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:33 PM   #219
gtsum
Babbling Farker

good read and I know my brisket has improved a good bit since using the basic tri level rub
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2010, 09:46 PM   #220
High Q
is one Smokin' Farker

I read this thread a year or so ago. Haven't been satisfied with my cooking of late - my friends like it but I was feeling like an angry Joe Ely banging out "Gallo del Cielo" for the thousandth time. Found this thread again while searching the brethren for "Walter Jetton". Getting back to my roots and away from techniques.
"Houston is a wretched little town composed of about twenty shops, and a hundred huts, dispersed here and there, among trunks of felled trees. It is infested with methodists and ants." -Emmanuel Domenech, Catholic Missionary, 1848
High Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-07-2010, 10:27 PM   #221
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

You know I live In Dickinson/Friendswood right?

Old 02-24-2013, 04:55 PM   #222
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

at least five of these are worth roadmapping.

The Taboo of Simmering - Jetton and Legends of Texas BBQ (6 Pages) barbefunkoramaque

The Legendary Texas Crutch - Foil ( 1 2)

The Clock and the Temperature Probe ( 1 2 3 4 5)
barbefunkoramaque

Brisket - Night Train in a Dark Closet - for the Funky Only ( HUGE) barbefunkoramaque

The Official Popdaddy's Ingredient List ( 4 Pages) barbefunkoramaque

VIDEO VERSION - Popdaddy's Legends Code 2.0 ( 2 Pages) barbefunkoramaque

Hot RIBS - ǝɔuǝıɹǝdxǝ ǝʇɐɯıʇln ǝɥʇ - RIBS Fast ( 4 Pages)
barbefunkoramaque

German Preference - Damn That Sucker ist Hot!!! ( 1 2)
barbefunkoramaque

Poll: BBQ Priorities POll #1 - What do we Learn to Cook For First? ( 1 2) barbefunkoramaque

Poll: Polling Priorities #2- What Traits do we Conquer First? ( 1 2)
barbefunkoramaque

Poll: Polling Priorities #3 - What Traits do we conquer Second?
barbefunkoramaque

Poll: Polling Priorities #4 - What Challenges/Challenged you Most?
barbefunkoramaque

Poll: Favored Brisket Temp range ( 1 2 3) barbefunkoramaque

Ignorance and what is and is not BBQ ( 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Last Page)
barbefunkoramaque

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2013, 09:49 PM   #223
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Re: Brisket and your Rub (For the Funky Only)

OMG...I just revisited this thread...lol! I couldn't cook a brisket to save my life back then! :p. Now...thanks to Donnie, Wayne, and a chitload of burned meat I can actually say..."nailed it"...thanks brothers! :)

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #224
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
OMG...I just revisited this thread...lol! I couldn't cook a brisket to save my life back then! :p. Now...thanks to Donnie, Wayne, and a chitload of burned meat I can actually say..."nailed it"...thanks brothers! :)

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Ure Welcome... HD is coming soon.

Edict.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:16 AM   #225
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Edict.

Tags
rub salt popdaddy