MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:43 AM   #1
Babyboomerboy
is one Smokin' Farker

Default What do you use the electric for at a comp, and how much do you need?

We are in the process of figuring out how much electricity to supply for the cookers at our comp this summer. An electrician has been giving us a lesson on how much amperage a light blub uses, an electric knife, a fan etc. What do you use the electric that is supplied at comp’s for? Have you experienced any black outs because of not having enough electricity? Do you try to hook up your RV’s with the electricity that is supplied? How have some of you coordinators handled the electric situation for the cookers and how much have you supplied for each one? Do they use every bit of what you supply them, for instance, all 15 AMP’s? Thank you
Babyboomerboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2008, 09:09 AM   #2
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

I'll bet your gonna get 2 set of answers here.

Those that that use a few amps for lights and those that suck every amp they can get.

I fall into the second category, so i always travel with a Honda 3000 so Im not blowing circuits and shutting off gurus.

My comp trailer has a full fridge(rated 6-8 amps), electric water heater(rated 10-12), AC(rated 14), and then all the other stuff such as lighting, TV, computers. If im running everything, unless the comp can supply stable 30 amp service, I run off the generator. If its 15, I cant use it. 20 amp, I Ok. Low volts/amps wreck havoc on compressors and can kill the fridge as well as farking with peoples electronics.

I never depend on contest power anymore since loading up on stuff. When i ran just lighting and few other things it were ok.

I have been to contests where power kept tripping, everytime due to rain.

If your doing a contest with shakey power, its best to let teams know that power will be for lighting only and teams that draw heavy amps will need to supplement.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2008, 09:23 AM   #3
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

We're in the first category. We draw for two fluorescent lights, and our biggest power-suck is the fan. We got a little power brick to run the Stokers, and before the Jack we bought a little Honda genny.

We don't have the problem of cookers that depend on electricity, thank goodness, but the first time we were at a comp with iffy power, we thought "Man, I'd hate to be in that boat".

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2008, 09:25 AM   #4
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaHerself View Post
We're in the first category. We draw for two fluorescent lights, and our biggest power-suck is the fan. We got a little power brick to run the Stokers, and before the Jack we bought a little Honda genny.

We don't have the problem of cookers that depend on electricity, thank goodness, but the first time we were at a comp with iffy power, we thought "Man, I'd hate to be in that boat".
A car battery?
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2008, 09:59 AM   #5
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

I just need it to light my canopies. I have a Guru but I only use that for a Grill Temp right now. Some day I hope to be in a position to where I need a generator for a trailer
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2008, 10:04 AM   #6
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
I'll bet your gonna get 2 set of answers here.

Those that that use a few amps for lights and those that suck every amp they can get.
First camp. We use electricity exactly for:
  1. Running the ipod charger and radio speakers.
  2. Intermittently (rarely) Running the 35 cup coffee maker (hot water heater)
  3. When we are inclined, and remember, and are sober enough to string them, we may put up a strand or two of rope lights.
We bring a really heavy duty extension cord with a three receptacle outlet on the end. It is all we need.

Even still, unreliable electric is an annoyance.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2008, 10:10 AM   #7
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

If they have 20 amp I am good to go in my RV... I also have alarms if the power gets low though... I also have my onboard Onan, but I don't like how it makes my RV feel like a vibrating bed... I just got a new Honda 6500, which I carry around for any power needs I may have and also have the Honda 3000 in reserves... I need to have my AC....

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2008, 10:26 AM   #8
ique
is Blowin Smoke!

2 lightbulbs and 1 electric knife.
ique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2008, 10:27 AM   #9
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

In Waterloo this year the power box was so overloaded it was like Clark Griswald in Christmas Vacation. The other thing that sucks is if someone unplugs or trips over your cord by accident.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:39 AM   #10
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post
A car battery?
It looks almost like one, with a handle. It's a 600 watt rechargeable powerpack. Unfortunately, VQ now thinks that "rechargeable" means that it is a permanent decorative addition to the living room.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2008, 11:00 AM   #11
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

We usually have a few strings of some very low power lighting as well as at least one bright light when needed. We typically have a fan as well. We might charge a cell phone or two and will have a big coffee pot going in the morning. Pretty small load as far as we have been concerned, but I have seen some heavy duty power usage at comps including portable AC and such.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2008, 11:10 AM   #12
Vince RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaHerself View Post
It looks almost like one, with a handle. It's a 600 watt rechargeable powerpack. Unfortunately, VQ now thinks that "rechargeable" means that it is a permanent decorative addition to the living room.

I've always had a flair for decorative style!
Vince RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2008, 12:09 PM   #13
Sidw
On the road to being a farker

We are amps hogs. We can get by on 20 amps - 30 amps is nice - 50 amps and we won't leave. We have an onboard generator, but would rather not use due to noise & cost.

Old 12-12-2008, 01:55 PM   #14
tonto1117
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidw View Post
We are amps hogs. We can get by on 20 amps - 30 amps is nice - 50 amps and we won't leave. We have an onboard generator, but would rather not use due to noise & cost.
Lol.....same for us :)

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
WSM
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL

CBJ

Bacon & eggs - Hens are involved but pigs are commited.
tonto1117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2008, 02:16 PM   #15
Paola Greg
Full Fledged Farker

We prefer at least 20 amps especially in July and August when we want to run the a/c. If adequate power is not available, we've got a couple Honda 2000's we use.