• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ not for type a personality

big blue bbq

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Wow,

Another comp, another shut out. This was a backyard event with only twelve teams.

I have cooked the best I ever have two times this year and not a call. First comp I could understand with Learn2Q, jacks old south and a lot of other big names, but a back yard.

I know we are supposed to be having fun, but when you put a prize there I have to be best and it spoils the fun:mad:.

I am going to keep doing it because it is fun:p, but I don't know if I can take the frustration of knowing my stuff is better than any restaurant I have ever been too:mad:, not my opinion.

I will start planning on catering to hopefully make money instead of losing it.:?:

Just wanted to rant. Next step judging class to see what they are actually looking for, then try to cook to it. If I can't do that:mad:, cooking class to learn to Q:!:.

At least even as a "loser", I cooked the best leftovers I ever tasted.

Show us your boxes, lets see if we can get you some input...or share some scores, where are the low numbers? being a CBJ will help you immensely..

Larry, everybody wants to win by cooking the best they can. Maybe your food was outstanding but the other guys was just a little better. I tried the winning pork at a contest last year and my whole team thought ours was better. The judges didnt agree. You will get that walk, if you keep on trying.

Hey Larry... don't worry... once you figure it all out, you'll have some fun for awhile before it all goes away and you have to figure it out all over again. We had "figured" it out enough to get plenty of calls and even a reserve. We were close. Then apparently either we forgot it or "it" changed on us. Yes, it's frustrating and yes, judges pizz you off (I got a couple of 3's in taste in brisket, which is BAD on the new system and I've never cooked a BAD brisket in my life) but you have to look for positives. I've enjoyed Friday evening dinners with friends more and have relaxed a bit rather than getting uptight over it all. I find shaving chicken to be very therapeutic! :lol:

A judging class is a good step. You'll get there. Just have fun and don't worry about it.

A judging class does hel and so does being a judge. I look at it if I improve my scores and have fun then it was a success

Don't give up Larry. We had the pleasure of cooking with you last year in Lebanon, and I know you have what it takes. Some days are Diamonds, and some days are coal....just keep at it and most important...remember to have fun along the way!!:wink: Do what I do...just blame it on the judges or Walt.....he does not need to be present for the second option...:tongue::biggrin:

Having had the pleasure of working with you at the Amazin' Blanzin' last year, I know you have a passion for this crazy "sport". Our experience with back yard events is very, very spotty. As Tonto said earlier, "Blame it on the judges"!!!

I am not cooking in smyrna. I may come by to visit a cousin that has a team there. I will be in Dickson in two weeks. I tried to sign up for the judging class there but was too late. There are no more on the list near me according to the kcbs sheet.

what do you feel are your strong points and weak points?

Usually my chicken and brisket are pretty strong. I used to get calls on them. My appearance scores are much better after watching Tonto spend two hours on each box one night. I thought she was nuts:rolleyes:, but apparently she knows what she is doing on that one.

Most people say I have a juicy butt :eek: (Oops, here comes the editors), but I have never been in the top half with that one.

Ribs have been my worst score overall. Last year I could not get them anywhere near good. One contest I did not get them done in time,(not tender), the next one I overcompensated and had bones falling out while trying to take them off the smoker.
I went to one of the teams that is in the area one day when they were cooking in a grocery store parking lot and talked to them some. I asked if they were using their contest stuff and they said everything but their finishing rub. I paid them $17.00 and went home to try them. I quickly learned I did not know how to cook. I have practiced a lot on these and the last two times have been the best I ever did. I am not going to change them for the next comp just to see if it was the judges. They did not give score sheets out so I don't know what the scores were.

I will not quite, maybe not compete as much for a bit and concentrate on getting some catering gigs. I just wish I was not strung (not hung) like a chihuahua :p. I would have a little more fun if I did not have to be the best.

Larry, keep your chin up. sometimes it comes down to the judges and a lot of times I find that if they are new they will be brutal. We had a great year last year and I did the same thing at our first contest this year and it did not turn out well. But I had a good time. I know it frustrating, you get no sleep and then not to get that adrenaline rush just flat out sucks no other way to put it.

Judge some comps that is really the best way to see what the winning stuff does AND you see some really bad BBQ that makes you feel that much better.

Then what was all that at the GAB?

Chit, bro, I thought I had "it" back at the GAB! :lol: Turns out I was wrroong (Ron White mod). Hey, I'm cool with it. We're not very good this year, even though we're cooking food that is better (to us) than last year.

Besides, I wasn't stressed at the GAB. I was on cloud 9 after the last turn-in while cleaning up. 'course part of that was the six to eight beers and a shot or two of Woodford Reserve I had between brisket turn-in and the awards ceremony. 8)

Wow,

Another comp, another shut out. This was a backyard event with only twelve teams.

I have cooked the best I ever have two times this year and not a call. First comp I could understand with Learn2Q, jacks old south and a lot of other big names, but a back yard.

I know we are supposed to be having fun, but when you put a prize there I have to be best and it spoils the fun:mad:.

I am going to keep doing it because it is fun:p, but I don't know if I can take the frustration of knowing my stuff is better than any restaurant I have ever been too:mad:, not my opinion.

I will start planning on catering to hopefully make money instead of losing it.:?:

Just wanted to rant. Next step judging class to see what they are actually looking for, then try to cook to it. If I can't do that:mad:, cooking class to learn to Q:!:.

At least even as a "loser", I cooked the best leftovers I ever tasted.
take a judging class and try judging a couple comps..you may still think your stuff is better but you will at least get a better idea of whats being turned in as well as other judges reaction vs your own

Back