2 chuck roast questions

E

ewile

1) What's the desired internal temp for pulled beef?

2)Anyone ever mop their chuckie w/ anything during the cook? I'd be interested to know. I'm only a few minutes in so I could easily throw something together.

Thanks.

Chuckies are a lil more stubborn than pork,i've had em go as high as 225*, go by feel, not time!
I've done mine on the drum so no mopping or spritzing but it can't hurt, keep us updated and don't forget pic's!!

I usually take mine to 200 - 205, but as Bubba said, go by feel. Start checking for doneness at 190 or so just in case. I don't mop, but you could mop with any kind of juice or thinned sauce or broth.

Chuckies seem to take 200 ++ to tender up.
And, YUP---It is the buttery feel, not the temp.
Followed by a couple of hours in a cooler to equalize.
I do not mop or spritz anything.

Great stuff!

TIM

I too agree that the poke/probe test is better than trying to go with a set temperature. I generally do a foil or braise finish once the internal is above 160° or so and find that the internal temps will run 200° plus. Sometimes I do a pepper beef type of braise (with pepperoncini) and other times I will add some potatoes, veggies and broth then cover.

DSC03944a.jpg

I have no problems with using a mop. One I make for lamb seems to work well for beef too. You do want to wait several hours before mopping, or your bark & color will not form evenly.

Sheep Dip

1 – Beer
½ cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup water
1/3 cup apple juice
1/3 cup canola oil
1 diced onion
3 cloves of garlic – minced
1 tablespoon Wooster
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon cayenne

Heat until dissolved

foil time...

added a few unlit coals and off we go for part II.

Back