MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:40 AM   #1
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default My lesson Learned in BBQ Rubs Home made vs Commercially made

I know we all discuss rub recipes and discuss which is best from time to time. Here is my newest lesson I have learned.

I used to make my own rubs using a commercial mixer, but found inconsistencies in the spice products ordered from distributors. I found that because I did not have a laboratory to test the incoming products, I was at the peril of my suppliers and what they shipped to me in bulk form was not consistent. I had made rubs for over 10 years never reaching the apex I was looking for. I used the best and freshest products available, but there was always something lacking in the balance of flavors.

5 years ago I decided to go to a commercially prepared rub which I could pick up locally in large bulk packaging. This was the key to my consistency. This worked well and I was happy without reservation. We are all familiar with the saying "Why fix what is not broken?"

However my son is going into the military and we had planned a surprise party to congratulate him on his choices in life and wish him well as he departs us to serve his country. I tried the Oakridge Competition Rub on the ribs and on the pork butts. Simply put Oakrige hit the ball out of the park. My hats off to them with a GREAT product, I'm sorry I didn't try it sooner, clearly it was my loss.

At first I was not crazy with the idea of trying something new. I think we get locked into this same frame of mind. When the opportunity allows, I think we should all let our guard down and try something new from time to time. My only opposition now is that many rubs are not available in bulk.

I urge those who are new to BBQ to try some of the commercial rubs available in the small packaging. I wish I had tried some of these when my cooks were smaller, it would have helped me in so many other ways.

I will probably have some opposition here, but in the end I think it is best to leave the rubs to the professional suppliers. They buy in extreme bulk at discounts, they have professional mixing and measuring equipment. In the end they have the quality control labs to provide you with a consistent product that will not change from cook to cook. It will save you a lot of work, effort, and some money in the interim, and there are so many choices out there.

I look forward to expanding my horizons on smaller family cooks in the future as I try some of the many other choices that await me as I experiment.

Last edited by IamMadMan; 11-11-2016 at 04:36 AM..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

5 members found this post helpful.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:48 AM   #2
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Hmm...interesting.
I've not been smoking very long, but have used commercial rubs so far. The main reason, is that I lack the appropriate spices in the quantities needed for rubbing a couple butts.

I've been wanting to buy the bulk spices since day one, but haven't "gotten there yet".

That being said, I have wanted to try the SM rub you mentioned, just because of the shear amount of recommendations I've heard here. Maybe I'll not worry so much about making my own.

Good thread.
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

0 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #3
tyotrain
is one Smokin' Farker

I love SMR they are great rubs. 👍

Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP

Old 03-06-2013, 07:56 AM   #4
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
Hmm...interesting.
I've not been smoking very long, but have used commercial rubs so far. The main reason, is that I lack the appropriate spices in the quantities needed for rubbing a couple butts.

I've been wanting to buy the bulk spices since day one, but haven't "gotten there yet".

That being said, I have wanted to try the SM rub you mentioned, just because of the shear amount of recommendations I've heard here. Maybe I'll not worry so much about making my own.

Good thread.
From my experience, by the time you buy in bulk, take the time to weigh and mix the spices, test it, and vac-pac to keep it fresh....

You really don't save money by doing it yourself.. Add the cost of the spices, the time required to process them (time is money), and you have saved nothing. Yes it is a fun experiment and the outcome can be good. I have tried over 100 recipes and even varied them from time to time, but never anything outstanding.

Try a rub in the commercial market and if you like it buy it in 5 lb packs for the best price. If you grow larger you can even buy 25 lb boxes from some vendors.. Not sure if SM offers these large sizes though.

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

0 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 03-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #5
Big slick
is one Smokin' Farker

I only use simply marvelous rubs. They are just perfect!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:04 AM   #6
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

I have come to the same conclusion about making sausage.

Unless its a simple recipe, I perfer to buy pre mixed spices.
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 08:08 AM   #7
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Ok, I'm good with that, but the question that begs to be asked......
"WHY" are they better?
What makes them better than ours? Is it a secret ingredient, is it the "perfect" combination of spices?
We can buy quality product, just like they can, so I'm not buying the theory that they're getting better stuff. Not by much anyway.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #8
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

I recommend making rubs in small test batches.
Or you can end up with large batches of really bad rub.
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #9
Puckstopper
On the road to being a farker

I always made my own rubs which usually come out pretty good but not perfect but still I felt that if i didnt make the rub or injection than it really wasnt my bbq but a few weeks ago i ordered a sample pack from dizzy pig and liked them better than my own so i went went ahead and placed an order for some other rubs from other vendors.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #10
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

How about the rub used by the # 1 Team in the nation. 3 Eyz Rub. Says something when you can use what the best are using.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #11
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
"WHY" are they better?
What makes them better than ours? Is it a secret ingredient, is it the "perfect" combination of spices?
We can buy quality product, just like they can, so I'm not buying the theory that they're getting better stuff. Not by much anyway.
In my case, I think one reason is they use fresher and more consistent ingredients.

I find that I may make a certain rub to try, and have to buy some off the wall spice I have no other use for.

So, if I am not crazy about that rub, the spice just sits there unused, getting stale and old.

I may pull it out later and use it on something else, it might be good or it might not.

Its just a lot of expense to try something new I may or may not like, and have some oddball spices left over if I dont like it.

I have some now that I should probably throw out and make room for others

I have some basic rubs that use common ingredients that I make all the time, for those it makes sense.
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #12
Motley Q
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
"WHY" are they better?
Why are they better?

They're not

It's a crapshoot...just like BBq Comp contests are.

What you might like.........another person doesn't.

It's the same for everything......cars. clothes, cities, food, weather, etc

Quality doesn't always mean why ppl buy or like something........look at all
the low end crap that is purchased every day

Freshness?......I just bought some rub that has an exp date of June 2016.

It's just a matter of individual tastes.

No need to over analyze this one.

See ya at the dolla store...cuz that "great" rub will be there someday.

Last edited by Motley Q; 03-06-2013 at 08:56 AM..
Motley Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-06-2013, 08:47 AM   #13
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
In my case, I think one reason is they use fresher and more consistent ingredients.
Ahhh...good point. I didn't think about the freshness aspect. Good point.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #14
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motley Q View Post
Why are they better?

They're not......What you might like.........another person doesn't..
You know what, you're right. That's a good point I forgot about.
I shouldn't have made such a blanket statement.

Old 03-06-2013, 08:49 AM   #15
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

I have tried a handful of commercially made rubs and have tried a few from the books (Myron's, Gibson, Wicked Good BBQ, etc) ... and found a few I do like. However I still make my own for the special cooks.

I grow a lot of my own spices and hot peppers so I am pretty good with consistency and tweaking to get the flavor I want.

With that said though - commercial mixes are awesome (not all) but a few that I like. They save time and allow me to conserve my personal rubs for events I want them for.

Pork Pulling Plowboys
Simply Marvelous
Slappy Your Daddy (chicken)
and a few others...