MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-16-2013, 06:55 AM   #16
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Good looking bacon! Thanks for the comparison between cooking temps.

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-16-2013, 07:09 AM   #17
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
I'm kinda surpised the hotter cooked/higher IT bacon came out better. I'm glad it did though, 'cause that's how I do it.
Me too! I was real surprised with the amount of fat that rendered out we I fried it. So good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
Nice comparison.I would have bet a dollar that the cold smoked would have left the others in the dust. Guess ya never know til ya try em all.
Surprised the heck out of me too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
Question......????? Your post shows the shrinkage from hot,to med,to cold. Left to right.I understand the hot smoked slab being smaller,than the medium, then the cold smoked remaining full sized.However the cooked pics are opposite of that,it shows the hot smoked slices much bigger than the cold smoked piece if they are in fact in the same position after smoking?Please explain.Maybe the cold smoked rendered that much more,just wondering. I am guessing the cold smoked is on the left and the hot smoked is on the right in the sliced pic.???
The smaller and darker piece(on left) is the hot smoked. It did not shrink as much as pictured, it was trimmed up a bit before smoking. Also, I was able to slice up the hot smoked slab whole, but had to cut the med and cold smoked slabs in half to slice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHB View Post
I do not understand. I always dry cure in refrigerator but you are suggesting 10days at around 140f. From my limited experience in long term cooking sous vide it would be cooked 5 times over in the curing process!!! Definitely confuses me.
OOPS! Thanks for catching that. It was 38°-41°F for ten days.
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 07:17 AM   #18
Norm
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Private

Looks awesome!

Thanks for the tip on temps. I just got done with a batch of berkshire bacon and cold smoked it. Next time I'm going try the other way.
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 07:40 AM   #19
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

I have only made bacon once and it was BBB

The recipe I used said to hot smoke it to 150f which I did. took about 8 hours using hickory

they stated that hot smoking it would give it a more intense bacon flavor.

It tasted fine, reminded me more of candian bacon though. Might have been because I was using butt.

I have 8 lbs of belly curing right now for smoking this weekend, I was going to try cold smoking it, but now I am not so sure
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 07:56 AM   #20
Garyclaw
Babbling Farker

Thanks Blue! You're Awesome!

Big BarBChef built in to the Outdoor Kitchen, 2 Weber kettles, 1 UDS, Little Chief Electric, 2 Propane Fish Cookers/Turkey Fryers,
a swinging grate over my [COLOR=red]Fire pit,[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Big Pig Cooker, SJS, Big Easy Oil Less. Blackstone Pizza Oven[/COLOR]

"Nice talkin' to ya" :yo:
Garyclaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 09:27 AM   #21
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Great post Bluey! I've wondered the same thing and guess I've been waiting for a post like this! Thanks!
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 10:21 AM   #22
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks good dude...that is one great taste test

Old 01-16-2013, 10:25 AM   #23
sdbbq1234
is One Chatty Farker

Yes, thanks very much for the work on this.

wallace

- Life Is Good But BBQ Is Better
- BWS - Fat Boy
- WSM 22.5
- A bunch on other outdoor cooking stuff.
- KCBS CBJ# 58657
- MABA Member

"Take luck!"
sdbbq1234 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 03:42 PM   #24
MStoney72
Full Fledged Farker

I'm thinking about starting some Bacon this weekend and I just wanted to know if it would be alright to cure in the fridge? The reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking my fridge might be a little cooler than what you had mentioned, or I guess, is it that critical for curing temps to be where you had them. Thank you very much for creating thiz thread, your timing couldn't be more convenient. I hope you understand my ?

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
1971 22 1/2 Weber Bar b Que kettle
Weber genesis silver c (gasser)
Weber Q
Mini WSM (gold)
Fastest of the fast Thermapen's (digital camo with U. S. A flag)
MStoney72 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #25
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStoney72 View Post
I'm thinking about starting some Bacon this weekend and I just wanted to know if it would be alright to cure in the fridge? The reason I'm asking is because I'm thinking my fridge might be a little cooler than what you had mentioned, or I guess, is it that critical for curing temps to be where you had them. Thank you very much for creating thiz thread, your timing couldn't be more convenient. I hope you understand my ?

I made a drying locker out of a small commercial freezer using an inline voltage regulator with a digital control. I can set it where I want. Before I had that tho, all my curing was done in the fridge, next to the beer n' such. I never had any problems. As I understand it, ideal curing temps are 36°F to 40°F. Below 36°, the curing process will slow down, and possibly stop.
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #26
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MStoney72 View Post

I always use my basement fridge

contents-

beer.

nightcrawlers.

meat.
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #27
plowin-fire
Full Fledged Farker

I cure mine in the beer fridge for eight to ten days. Then hot smoke at 200 for about 4 hours.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:35 PM   #28
MStoney72
Full Fledged Farker

Thank you for the quick replies, I am going to have to use my fridge, at least this time anyways. I think I am going to adjust the temp back to try and get the higher desired temps. It's my garage fridge and all we really use it for is beverages anyway. Thank you again for all the help

1971 22 1/2 Weber Bar b Que kettle
Weber genesis silver c (gasser)
Weber Q
Mini WSM (gold)
Fastest of the fast Thermapen's (digital camo with U. S. A flag)
MStoney72 is offline   Reply With Quote