MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #1
gregor
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default cooking for my first large group

So i've volunteered to cook for a fund raising dinner for 30-50 people. I'll have a better idea of numbers closer to the event. My thoughts are:

1. a full brisket
2. a few butts
3. maybe some ribs (leaning away from this, but we'll see as i get closer to event)

Sides:
corn bread
cole slaw
baked beans

My question is based on cooking. The dinner is for a group of guys i work with. Our school district has a club that raises funds for a scholarship we give every year. Basically it's 30-50 teachers i work with. The event is after work on a friday. so there really is no way for me to cook the day of the event. Even if i took off work the day of to cook, it might be tough to get to the location, set up, cook and have stuff done for a 6PM feeding time, especially for a full brisket.

So i'm thinking the weekend before i'll cook, maybe brisket one day, and butts the next.

I'm wondering what the best way to cook/freeze/reheat would be. I can probably get access to a foodsaver.

I'm thinking cook, pull the pork, slice the brisket. Add some reserved liquid to each bag and then freeze. That sound ok? Is the foodsaver really that important if i'm only freezing for 5-7 days?

As for reheating, it seems like many just drop the foodsavers into simmering water. This gonna be served in aluminum pans over sterno, so would it be a bad idea to defrost the food saver bags, dump into the aluminum pans along with some apple juice, foil up and reheat for a few hours at 200 degrees? Guess it doesn't matter, and if i use the food savers in the boiling water i have the oven for doing cornbread/beans.

How about the beans? Can I cook the beans in the smoker when i cook the meat, and then freeze them in their own containers and just reheat the day of?

Any help would be appreciated.
gregor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #2
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

I would do 2-3 Briskets and 3-4 Butts with sides. With 1 Brisket and 30-50 people I would hope that I was toward the front of the line.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:50 AM   #3
Jetmek
Found some matches.

I am also curious about the best way to freeze and reheat. I am cooking for 80 people for my daughter's wedding reception. I was planning on cooking a couple of weeks before the wedding and freezing until the wedding. I just want the food to be as fresh tasting as possible.
Jetmek is offline   Reply With Quote