Pulled Beef Question

grillnputt

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I want to make a pulled beef sort of like pulled pork. I don't want to use brisket because the point is too small. :( Has anyone ever made it with flank steak? That's how we made it in a slow cooker in the house one winter. :D If you have, how would I slow cook it since the steaks are kind of small. Ron

Flank steak in a slow cooker and flank steak in a smoker will come out differently. Flank, if you took a good look at it, is very lean. The slow cooker is a very moist environment - the smoker isn't.

I'd recommend a chuck roast - plenty of fat and such to render out as the meat cooks.

Re: RE: Pulled Beef Question

chad said:
Flank steak in a slow cooker and flank steak in a smoker will come out differently. Flank, if you took a good look at it, is very lean. The slow cooker is a very moist environment - the smoker isn't.

I'd recommend a chuck roast - plenty of fat and such to render out as the meat cooks.

Second the motion. Chuck is the best way to go for pulled beef, in my opinion. Chuck will cook in smoker very much like a pork butt.

I do it with whole briskets all the time. It is best when you foil it and continue to cook on low heat for a whole lot of hours. I usually cook the things on the pit for about 8 hours then overnight the things in a roaster with a pint of added water. I know that a brisket purist would say it is over cooked but when I slice it in 6 inch chunks and take a couple of bear claws to it it turns out wonderful. Also do not remove any of the juice that worked up when it was cooked in the roaster. I like mine dripping juice on a big bun. The wife likes it with sauce but for me it is just meat and bread (saturated with juice).

Chuck Roll buddy.....Its perhaps the Kosher pork... Chuck roll will cook exactly like a pork butt will.. its from the same area in the pig just from a cow....im sure it doesnt taste exactly the same...but they say its pretty close.....they come at 20 #ers.....cook exactly the same way you would the butt and shred the same way as well...good luck...

I will second some of these sentimanets, an I can not recommend BONE IN chuck roast enough for this application. Find a nice thick one and cook it low and slow.

I agree with G$, bone in if at all possible. I think I posted this somewhere else, but I usually get my meat guy to cut me a double thick roast from the cross-rib or 7-bone section for the smoker.

qman said:
I usually get my meat guy to cut me a double thick roast from the cross-rib or 7-bone section for the smoker.

Exactly. a Double thick 7 bone is great.

I often use a nice Arizona chile powder based rub and pull the roast when done. Use the meat just as you would use machaca:

• With eggs and tortilla in the morning
    With cabbage,pickled onions, cotija cheese and tortilla for tacos at lunch
    In enchiladas with beans for dinner
Leftovers go in to a nice red chile. Mmmm.

RE: Re: RE: Pulled Beef Question

Pulled beef also makes excellent sandwiches on hamburger buns--Doctor up your favorite bbq sauce with a good dose of Chipotles in Adobo sauce, moisten the meat with this, and enjoy. :D

RE: Re: RE: Pulled Beef Question

I think I detect a new tamale filling to try!

Kevin

Well, this is twice I gotta agree with Wayne :lol:

Chuck makes really great pulled beef. Brisket does also.

I have a neighbor family who pays me cost for all the beef I want to cook. And, they want it pulled.
Started with Chuck, then changed to Brisket because of the full rich beef flavor I get from Brisket. That is all they want now :lol:

I cook Brisket for comp practice and slice the flat. After I am done "playing", I put it in foil and into the oven (slices and all) with some AJ--300 degrees for about 2 hours.
Pull it out and shread it.
Nice long shreads that I cut into 3 inch long peices or so. Then pull them on down to finish the "pulling" process. Makes a killer sammich or pile on a plate.
Either Chuck or Brisket will pull just fine--just whatever taste you want.
And, for us, Brisket is 1/2 the price of Chuck. :lol: Makes it a no-brainer here :lol:

FWIW.

TIM

Brisket it half the price of chuck.. wow...ok ill shock you guys....i can get a brisket flat for $12 a pound...and point for $7. if i buy it whole i can get it for $4.99 a pound..

chuck i can get for $4 a pound....ya.. tell me about it...Kosher meat...

Mords said:
Brisket it half the price of chuck.. wow...ok ill shock you guys....i can get a brisket flat for $12 a pound...and point for $7. if i buy it whole i can get it for $4.99 a pound..

DAMN--I would just shoot myself at those prices--let the wifey BBQ my bones :lol: :lol:
Here in FL Panhandle--Brisket from Wally World (Select and Choice packers mixed), $1.28. Chuck roast, Mid $2 range any store. Close to $3.50 at Winn Dixie (but their beef is "special") :twisted:

Don't think I will move to save $$ on meat :wink: :wink:

TIM

I get chuck under 2 bucks per pound at club outlets, whole brisket about 1.30-1.50, flats are more than chuck.
Of course I did not shop our Kosher market :shock: I have a hunch that would be more, as I pay close to $4 per pound for kosher chicken.

qman said:
I get chuck under 2 bucks per pound at club outlets, whole brisket about 1.30-1.50, flats are more than chuck.
Of course I did not shop our Kosher market :shock: I have a hunch that would be more, as I pay close to $4 per pound for kosher chicken.

Ya its kinda expensive! Everytime i go into a regular supermarket i look at the prices in aaaww.....

qman next time you are in the area.. go into the kosher butcher and ask about the prices....youll appriciete wally world much more....

see thats why i really cant smoke as much as i would like to....a packer can easily cost me over $100 and a chuck roll even more....kinda crzy i konw...neways.. enjoy your "cheap" meat...

qman said:
I agree with G$, bone in if at all possible. I think I posted this somewhere else, but I usually get my meat guy to cut me a double thick roast from the cross-rib or 7-bone section for the smoker.

Is that the same as a clod roast? THat's what I used, the last tiem I pulled beef.

Mords said:

I'd have to become a vegan at those prices! Where in the h e double hockey sticks do you live?

Bigmista said:
qman said:

Is that the same as a clod roast? THat's what I used, the last tiem I pulled beef.
I think the cross-rib roast is what they sell as clod roast in some part of the country.

Back