MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:46 AM   #1
brickie
Full Fledged Farker

Default Chicago Bears UDS Build Tons of Pron!!!!!

Well got recruited to build a smoker for a gift for my brother in law for xmas.So here we go. I followed the basic design of a drum smoker pretty closely. Changed a few things from the design I use, but not much. Had to make sure it would work fine since it will be traveling to Virginia before it can be fired up for use.

It started life as a barrel with some type of oil in it.Place where I bought it from acid washed it for me and all the good stuff and then I brought it home and cut the top open(it was closed head,no liner) and easy offed it and then washed it at car wash. Then proceeded to spend the rest of the day grinding it out.Maybe not necessary since no liner but did it anyway. Also used a HF weed burner on it to torch the inside. Got it pretty hot but, did not burn "all" the paint off the outside.

That HF weed burner by the way is killer!! A great buy indeed. I used HF step bits to make my holes,and once again they worked like a charm.I don't like all their tools but some of them are a damn good buy.I pretty much used stainless hardware exclusively, but I will say that soaking zinc plated bolts or whatever in some muratic acid will remove the plating in a hurry!!!!!! If I would do this again i'd probably get a welder,but bolts will work and there are other options beside stainless.

Hope this isn't too long winded as they say but trying to cover most of the bases..Top is from a weber kettle that was in pretty good shape. Just really roughed it up, and primed and painted it.Did use soem JB weld to even out some spots in the Weber lid.overall turned out great. Everything was painted with spray paint,NON high temp stuff. I personally do not believe that high temp is necessary. Basket is weber grill grate and expanded metal from HD. I don't like to reuse the cooking surfaces so bought 2 new ones. Used a piece of old one to make handle on basket. Handle for kettle top was redone and painted.Ended up building a paint room in the basement to spray everything since it's too cold in garage now. Worked damn good.

Well I guess let's get the pics started..

Unfortunately didn't have a pressure washer to use for handle donation so i had to fabricate one out of 3/4 " conduit. Worked great and looks good!
hopefully I covered everything.

brickie
brickie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2011, 12:56 AM   #2
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Nice job on the build. Especially the paint job.
tortaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2011, 01:02 AM   #3
brickie
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks!! It's essentially the twin to mine..Actually since I'm not a Bears fan(Let's go Patriots) it pained me to build it. LOL

Old 12-21-2011, 01:12 AM   #4
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Fantastic paint job! Another beautiful UDS!
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2011, 01:21 AM   #5
Forrestbro
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Forrest

Wow! Great job! I'm planning something very similar this week with my uds. I just got my Bears decals in the mail Monday. How much of yours is painted and how much is decal, if you don't mind my asking? Nice touch with the NFL logo, too.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:26 AM   #6
brickie
Full Fledged Farker

Everything is 100 % painted. I've always been too scared to use decals thinking they won't hold up to the heat. Thought about going magnet route but paint is cheaper!

brickie

Old 12-21-2011, 02:01 AM   #7
Forrestbro
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Forrest

You've got some serious artistic talent there! I'm having second thoughts about the decals too. My wife suggested I use them just to trace.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:48 AM   #8
N8man
Babbling Farker

Nice!!!!!!

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2011, 02:48 AM   #9
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickie View Post
Everything is 100 % painted. I've always been too scared to use decals thinking they won't hold up to the heat. Thought about going magnet route but paint is cheaper!

brickie
I Don't have the ambient temp you do I'm sure, but I've had my UDS over 450 with decals and no damage done. Was playing around with my new stoker and had it around 450 over and hr and both my decals were just fine. Just sharing info :)

Nice looking drum but the bears... c'mon man really ;-)

pwa
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-21-2011, 02:52 AM   #10
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Nice, I only wish the Bears were playing as nice as that Drum looks. Love the Bulls Drum too.