Opinion on brisket cooking method

smokingj

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Ok folks, need an opinion here. First of, this is NOT my method, but looking to see what others feel of this.
I came across someone who is doing a full size packer at 225 for 10 hours fat side down. It reaches 195-205 in that time period, but seems rather dry and bland tasting to me. No wrapping the brisket until it is removed from the smoker and rested for about 30 minutes.
Is this a normal technique? Thoughts and opinions please.
I'm a pork person myself so trying to see what the beef boys say.

I cook 1200 lbs of brisket EXACTLY like that every week.
If you know how to cook it properly, you dont need all that other chit.

YMMV.

This is a normal process for many people but you really can't say it will take 10 hours for sure. It is done when it is done. It will probe like "butta" when done.

I personally wrap mine in foil with a special mixture when the color is right, usually about 165 degrees or so. Then I begin to probe when it hits about 190 to check for doneness. Once it probes to my liking I wrap with more foil, then some towels, and rest it in a cooler for at least an hour.

Cook by feel and IT, not time.....but yes in general that is the correct way to smoke a brisket.

I have had briskys take 10 hours, and I have had them take 14 hours or more.

Variances in pit temp, type of pits, and even the particular brisky can change cooking time, so always probe for feel, and look for IT of 190-200.

There are many ways to cook a brisket, none of them are particularly wrong. The end result is what matters to the cook. I also cook w/out foiling but I recently discovered wrapping in butcher paper after about 4 hours gives me a nice bark, which I feel can be a food group by itself! :crazy:

It all depends on your cooker and your brisket, each one of them is different and will behave so. Sometimes a brisket is just a dry SOB.. ain't nuthin' gonna change it w/out injecting or some other wild scheme.

I have cooked briskets low and slow. Injected most of the time and i usually foil around the 165-170 mark. Just about every brisket I've done low and slow was dry. Had good flavor but dry. So the last two cooks I did it hot and fast. Again foiled at 165. Pulled when the probe slid in like butter, which was about 5.5 hrs. Let it rest for an hour in a cooler wrapped in a towel. It was very tender and moist, good flavor. Best one i've done. haven't been able to get a good tender and moist brisket at low temps.
The last brisket was about 12 lbs.

My only concern with what you stated is only a 30 minute rest. That seems short to me. I like to go at least an hour. I could be wrong, though...

Back