MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:32 PM   #1
Soulman1282
On the road to being a farker

Default Rotisserie turkey talk

I know there are threads about this, and I read some. But what I want to know is:

At what temp should I try and hold my CG, with the rotisserie going? And, how long per pound do you all think I should shoot for at that temp?

P.S.-I already know all about checking the internal temp of the thigh for 180*, I'm just looking for a ballpark figure on how long its going to take cause I'm kinda new with the rotisserie.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:56 AM   #2
rowdycowboy
Full Fledged Farker

I run a ABS at 225 degrees and I usually do 12lb turkey in 6 to 7 hours.
rowdycowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2011, 03:51 PM   #3
mbshop
Babbling Farker

i assume cg is chargriller. i use my cg almost strictly for rotissering. i put my coals on the hinge side and just kinda let it go. i'm not to picky about temp. then i just look once in a while till done. yes, its that simple.

Old 11-20-2011, 07:00 PM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I cook turkeys at 325. I don't like the skin on birds cooked at lower temps. At 325 I figure about 25 minutes/pound in the Egg. I'm not sure if a rotisserie would affect the cook time or not.

BTW, the latest recommendation for turkey 165, not 180.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
Jonny Rotisserie
Full Fledged Farker

Default Rotisserie Turkey w pRon

I tend to do about a 14-lb turkey around 6 hours over a mix of wood and charcoal (both natural lump and some briquettes).

BTW I recommend putting rub/herbs plus a multi-punctured lemon or lime and/or an apple in the cavity and run the spit through them. It keeps the bird from bouncing around and you get all that extra flavor and humidity working for you.

Here's the 16.5 lb one I cooked on Saturday in Albuquerque that took about 7 hours over an open fire pit over a mix of peach, red oak and mixed charcoal:

It was the first time on the outside I had used a Cajun rub and nothing else. No brining, no oil, no nothing. It was surprising how far the (delicious) flavor carried into it as it really didn't need any salt. Nice and moist, too, despite the fact a few spots popped open from the heat.

Happy turkey cooking everyone!

--Jonny Rotisserie

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 11-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
Soulman1282

Thanx, looks great! Mine is almost 16lbs. and I have it in a brine right now. I'm actually going to employ some asian technique and hang the bird in my mini fridge for a day or so, to dry out the skin so i have a nice brown and crispy skin. can't wait!

Old 11-22-2011, 10:05 PM   #7
Jonny Rotisserie
Full Fledged Farker

Wow, that is full on! You are brining first and then applying the aged beef technique for birds? Never heard of that. Is that meant to offset some effects of the brining or is it simply to take everything up one more level and could be done independently?

I have found that the skin gets pretty crispy by doing nothing, so I would be interested to know how yours turns out with those extra preparations. Peking duck-type skin is definitely a higher level of crispiness than what I usually cook.

I am curious, so if you think about it, please shoot me a PM to let me know how it turns out in case I miss the post.

For what it is worth, another skin-crisping technique I use if I am not feeling lazy (which is rare) is Sprite or butter followed by some high heat as you get close to the finish line.

--Jonny Rotisserie

Old 11-23-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
Soulman1282

It could be done independently. I just find that sometimes brined birds have flabby skin that doesn't crisp up that well so i thought I'd give the peking duck skin drying a try! I can't quite figure out how to post pictures that aren't from a website though. It asks for a URL. How do i upload a pic from my computer? I wanna post some Turkey Pron!!

Old 11-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #9
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulman1282 View Post
It could be done independently. I just find that sometimes brined birds have flabby skin that doesn't crisp up that well so i thought I'd give the peking duck skin drying a try! I can't quite figure out how to post pictures that aren't from a website though. It asks for a URL. How do i upload a pic from my computer? I wanna post some Turkey Pron!!

Last edited by NorthwestBBQ; 11-24-2011 at 01:52 AM..
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-23-2011, 10:08 PM   #10
Soulman1282

Here is the turkey hanging in the mini fridge to help crisp the skin. I guess I'll call it "Peking Turkey''
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Turkey drying.jpg (85.7 KB, 86 views)

Old 11-23-2011, 11:15 PM   #11
tish
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Wow! It works! Thanks, NorthwestBBQ! Oops! Sorry Soulman... didn't mean to steal the thread. Love the Peking Turkey!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bacon.jpg (35.8 KB, 80 views)
Bubba Keg, Weber Genesis E-310 NG
Mini WSM, Shhh!!! Michael's surprise
Cornflower Blue Thermapen Might not be the fastest, but it sure is the prettiest!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Proud recipient of a certifiably uncertified limited edition MOINK ball certificate!!
tish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2011, 12:42 AM   #12
NorthwestBBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tish View Post
Wow! It works! Thanks, NorthwestBBQ! Oops! Sorry Soulman... didn't mean to steal the thread. Love the Peking Turkey!
We aim to please.

Last edited by NorthwestBBQ; 11-24-2011 at 01:16 AM..
NorthwestBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote