• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Almost Turkey Time - UDS or Deep Fried Turkey?

Williefb

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I told my mother that I would furnish the turkey for Thanksgiving.

Which one?

Smoked turkey on the UDS or a Deep Fried Turkey?

Do both... smofried!!

I'm going to be pressed for time this year, so deep fried only for me this year.

I smoked one last night, I prefer it over fried. I hit it at 180 for three hours, then 275 to finish. Very VERY good.
turkey2.jpg

Might as well practice. I brined, slathered with mayonaise, rub and it always turns out fantastic. You know you never want to do something on a first try, for a group....so a fella needs to practice a little. Delicious, delicious practice.

Might as well practice. I brined, slathered with mayonaise, rub and it always turns out fantastic. You know you never want to do something on a first try, for a group....so a fella needs to practice a little. Delicious, delicious practice.

I'd agree with that. Turkey is cheap. Give it a good practice run, and you'll regardless have great sandwich meat for awhile. Since I've found smoke, i honestly don't like chicken any other way but smoked. But i've done a few turkeys and as impressive as the dark meat is, My white meat is always ho hum. Like another brethren pointed out last week, its almost more work than its worth. But I've had a couple deep fried, and its very easy and delicious. We bought one of those butterball deepfryers, for inside, and they are pretty easy.

I am actually planning on trying this. My neighbor is frying his so I asked him if I could fry mine after I take it out of the smoker for about 3 minutes I am guessing to crisp up the skin.

Interesting...

The problem with most people when they cook turkey is that their internal temp is too high when they take it out.

Take the bird out when it is 150 in the breast and you will have a juicer bird.

When it rests it will rise and be perfect.

If you take it out at 160 it may get dry after resting.

I'm going to deep fry a 20 pound turkey in my new XL Butterball/Masterbuilt Indoor Electric Turkey Fryer.

These pics are of a 13 pound bird in my smaller unit:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Back