• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

**Kingsford Competition Briquets-First Impressions**

swamprb

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I decided to try out the new Kingsford 100% Natural Competition Briquets on the WSM and the BBQ Guru Digi-Q II and cook 2 racks of trimmed spares and the tips.

I attached the WSM/Guru fan adapter and instead of using the tape to cover the two open vents, I plugged them with 3/4" chrome plugs from Lowes.

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

IMG_0049.jpg

Filled the WSM with 1 1/2 Weber chimney of the Comp K and fired it up with the torch.

IMG_0051.jpg

IMG_0052.jpg

Set the Guru to 225* and let it do its thing.

I attached a pair of magnets to the base of the Digi Q Universal mount and it isn't going anywhere!

IMG_0053.jpg

IMG_0055.jpg

IMG_0056.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

While the ribs were cooking, I seasoned up 2 Choice Tri-Tips with Bigmista's Brisket rub and the other with a Santa Maria style rub, and fired up a chimney of the new K and banked the coals on one end of the Performer.

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0062.jpg

Seared them on both sides and moved to the opposite end of the grill to smoke. I added @ a dozen unlit briqs and a few Oak wine barrel chunks.

IMG_0064.jpg

The new K got hot very fast and my bottom vents were barely open, the dome temps were @450-500*

Ribs were done just as the Tri-Tips were pulled and resting (wish I had that timing down every cook!)

IMG_0067.jpg

IMG_0066.jpg

I shut the cookers down and after dinner I checked the coals and was kind of amazed how much was leftover. The briqs are still solid and didn't crumble like the Rancher does. I'm curious to see how much will be usable for another cook (probably for grilling)? Not a lot of ash, it seemed about normal. No funny smells like the regular K and the WSM held steady for 6 hours and there is a lot leftover, the Performer has quite a bit leftover, and I expected it to burn faster-it definitely was hotter than my normal cooks. $8.97 for 12lbs, and I used less than a bag this outing. They jacked the price of the dual 21lb bags of regular Kingsford up to $15.97 at Home Depot

WSM
IMG_0069.jpg

Performer
IMG_0068.jpg

I bought 4 bags of it, but I'm waiting for Lowes to stock the Stubb's briqs in 15lb bags for $8.47 and try a showdown with the two.

Respectfully submitted for your approval!

I tried it out yesuday in the Stumps and I like it. I started a whole chimney and then dropped in the rest of the bag to see how long it would last.
Smoked 2 butts and 9 slabs of BB's. Last night around 20 hours it was done.
More ash than the RO lump, but no weird flavor or smell like reg. K
A 10# bag of RO at wally world is 6 something and the comp at home depot is 8 something for 12#.
I think I will be using the new briquettes.

Ken

Sounds like many other reviews. Can't wait to try mine. I've ahd it for a couple weeks now!:lol:

Here is a comparison between the Comp K and Blue bag K. Pretty informative.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/compkingsford.html

THat was pretty informative...
A couple of "I wonder"s to ponder...
They state that the comp's are made in the USA...where are the blue bag brickettes made?
Why decrease the ingredients if there isn't something in there that you wouldn't want in there in the first place?

If I sound pessimistic, that cause I was recently told by someone in the industry that the K is now made in China and not controlled like it was here in the US...that could be scary.

This same person told me...always make sure you know where your base materials come from...he knew a guy who was told by a land owner he could cut down an oak tree for smoking wood. He did and used it only to get poison ivy inside his mouth/throat...along with everyone else he cooked for. Apparently, the tree he cut down had poison ivy growing on it the year before and the owner had sprayed and killed it, but the oil was still in the bark/wood.

Just throwing out there what I've heard recently...

I'm lookin' forward to trying some of it in my UDS...good post bro. Nice pics btw...new camera works great! :p

Im looking forward to trying it out too, need to see if its in stock yet, couldnt find any a few weeks ago

If I sound pessimistic, that cause I was recently told by someone in the industry that the K is now made in China and not controlled like it was here in the US...that could be scary.

Just sent Kingsford a question via email asking which products are made in the USA. I should have my answer in 48 hours. I'll post their reply back to this thread.

Here's the response from Kingsford:

Dear Mr. Clark,
Thank you for contacting us about your Kingsford Regular Charcoal. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

The majority of our charcoal briquets are made in the U.S.A.. However, we do have plants in Argentina as well, that primarily produces our Kingsford Charwood. The bags are marked either on the side or towards the bottom on the back. I hope this helps you.
Again, thank you for contacting us.
Sincerely,
PCOOPERblank.bmp

Patti Copper
Consumer Response Representative
Consumer Services

THat was pretty informative...
A couple of "I wonder"s to ponder...
They state that the comp's are made in the USA...where are the blue bag
Just throwing out there what I've heard recently...

I work at the Kingsford plant in Springfield Oregon. We make the Blue bag, Matchlight, BBQ Bag, Hickory, and Mesquite.
Hope this helps.

Back