MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:38 AM   #16
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I'd say go for it if it's a good deal. I've got a Kettle, and a W.S.M. and I definitely am looking at one of the Kamado type cookers. I'm leaning towards the Big Steel Keg, but if I ran across a great deal on a ceramic type cooker I'd go that route in a heartbeat. If I'm buying new, it'd be the Keg. Mooooobility!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-04-2013, 07:13 AM   #17
Zippylip
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbill View Post
w/o boring you w/my history, i'm currently all weber. imo-there is nothing the ceramics can do that a weber can't.
That's certainly incorrect. When brought to temp, ceramic cookers exactly mimic a brick over cooking environment giving excellent stability and radiant baking qualities that don't exist with metal cookers. Can you bend and twist and 'cook' all the same things in a Weber, of course you can, but not with the same ease ceramic inherently gives right out of the box.

I'm a huge Weber fan, probably more than half my outdoor cooking is accomplished on one of them. Why, because there are many tasks for which they simply outperform ceramic. But not all. I will give you one specific example of something that cannot be done realistically on a Weber. Frequently I do low & slow followed at the end with a few pies so that I can serve bbq & pizza at the same time. I can load an egg with lump, throw a brisket on at the appropriate temp for, lets say 8 hours, pull & wrap it, toss the pizza stone on & open up the bottom vent about 2 inches & bring the 275 degree egg to 650 degrees, bake a few pies, & by the time they are pulled, the brisket is ready to slice & I can serve it all at the same time. All on one cooker with no additional fuel & no reconfiguration necessary (except to slide the pizza stone in). This kind of versatility is hard if not impossible to match on an un-insulated metal cooker.

As for the original poster's question, without being redundant, any cooker you add to your collection will enhance your abilities, versatility and overall enjoyment - I frequently say the same thing to people stuck on the misguided belief that ceramic is the 'only' cooker they need. Can you live with one variety of cooker, of course, is it more fun to have different ones, indeed.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #18
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal View Post
Let me rephrase. How do I convince the wife we can't live without it..
Tell her that you can do stuff like baking bread and pizza's in the kamado. That will differentiate the kamado from the kettle!

Old 11-04-2013, 08:11 AM   #19
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

No. But then, my a$$ is clumsy. A ceramic would have a short life at my house, most likely...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #20
veryolddog
On the road to being a farker

This is more of a philosophical question than a question of whether or not you want to purchase a different grill.

Having been under duress for 23 years in the military, I find that I very rarely deny my self anything that I really want especially now that I am 71 years old.

Yes, there are a lot of regrets, but, you may find that if you fulfill your small requests, and this is a small request, you may feel better about yourself. There are too many things in life, we do not get experience, so don't deny your self some small ones.

If you rationalize that this inappropriate, that is ok as well. But, the important thing is, you have made the decision.

Whatever you decide to do, more power to you.

Ed
veryolddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #21
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you want it and have the money buy it.
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2013, 10:51 AM   #22
Thespanishgrill
On the road to being a farker

I would but only a jumbo xl for me otherwise I don't feel that I would have enough space for what I would use it for.
Thespanishgrill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #23
Bigjohnb20
Knows what a fatty is.

Didn't see your location but one thing a kamado can do that a weber cant is smoke consistently in lots of different weather conditions. I picked up a Akorn Jr. and the main reason I convinced myself I needed it after just picking up a OTG was that I will be able to use it her in MN over the winter to do longer smokes.

Another related benifit I've noticed with the kamado is how efficient it is with charcoal. I can get just about as far on the Akorn Jr. with a single 8# bag of lump as I can with closer to 40# of KBB on the OTG.
Bigjohnb20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2013, 12:18 PM   #24
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I have all three (sorta, I have an OTS not a performer but whatever) and the simple answer is yes.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #25
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

I do all my outdoor cooking on metal Webers. I've cooked on BGEs and had food cooked on them by others and the food was great, but I'm happy with what I've got. Don't get me wrong, I would take one if you gave it to me (I'm in Marietta, GA near Roswell, GA and can give excellent directions).

Old 11-04-2013, 08:02 PM   #26
uncblue
Full Fledged Farker

I have to say I love having both. The Kamado is extremely versatile at many different cooks but it can't get much easier to smoke on @ low & slow cooks; love the high temp cooks for steaks, breads, & pizzas. I will say though that I use my Weber performer 85% of the time & my poor Weber Summit is used for holding foods and the occasional rotisserie items (albeit I usually smoke them for a while before hitting the gasser)

Old 11-04-2013, 08:15 PM   #27
jbuntingsr
Full Fledged Farker

Buy it, you can always sell it.
jbuntingsr is offline   Reply With Quote