cherry chipoltle bbq sauce

Ponty56

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on cold smoking Cherry's for BBQ sauce to help mild down the sweet and tart and implant some smokeyness for a sauce.

I made a quick small batch a couple of weeks ago but didn't have time to pit cherrys. So I had to resort to canned pie filling it was good but I want to make it great!

never did cherries but have smoked some blue berries with a little grape juice. it worked well however I would only smoke fruit for about 30min or so other wise I think it gets to smoky. and next time I do it I will do more of a cold smoke say 120ish. I did mine hot so that also might make a difference.

This will be my first cold smoke so I was going to get a cold smoke maze and use some cherry saw dust any other suggestions?

I made a habenaro glaze a while back with some smoked cherries and peach on some grilled prawns with a little sesame seed. I did not write anything down but I really liked it and will try to reproduce again for sure.

My thoughts turn to fire roasting, perhaps on a frog mat or grill pan.
Would they turn more sweet and smoky similar to fire roasting peppers?
...Wheels turning... If I can find some decent looking ones (pretty early here) I'll take a run at it.
Until then thoughts?

So I'm back at trying to perfect this sauce, what do you think about the idea of ageing it in a wine barrel that had cherry wine in it?

Anyone ever use the a-maze smoker to cold smoke?

I have the A-Maze-N pellet smoker. Pellets are more readily available than sawdust (as well as cheaper). Traeger will also ship pellets for free if you order two 20 lb bags..

So I'm back at trying to perfect this sauce, what do you think about the idea of ageing it in a wine barrel that had cherry wine in it?

Why not add the wine to the sauce?

I have the A-Maze-N pellet smoker. Pellets are more readily available than sawdust (as well as cheaper). Traeger will also ship pellets for free if you order two 20 lb bags..

Why not add the wine to the sauce?

Wouldn't barrel ageing add other flavors other than the wine?

Wouldn't barrel ageing add other flavors other than the wine?

Maybe, but as a food product I wouldn't barrel age BBQ sauce.

My idea would be to keep it free of bacteria, after I process sauce I put into sterile jars and pressure can for long term storage.

I guess you could age for a short time, then bring to pasteurization temperatures again before bottling. I personally would be reluctant, but that doesn't meat it wouldn't work.

I got sick from food once in the military, very unpleasant with weeks of recovery. I now always stay on the side of caution.

Back