MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
Frog
Got Wood.

Default Question about batterys for making your smoker portable..

I have a question.. i have a GMG and want to take it camping with me, only problem is when i bring my truck i tend to use it to dock/undock the boat or jet skis, go to store etc. so i wouldn't be able to leave my truck stationed for Long periods of time. I already bought a 700Watt inverter, People say buy a Deep cycle battery, now my main question is is there a certain size i need or does any deep cycle work? should i look for a bigger size/smaller size etc. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

I also have one of these http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...0-p#fragment-1 Will it work for long periods of time? im just trying to cover my basics for memorial day weekend since ill be doing alot of cooking :)
Frog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
ckelly
Full Fledged Farker

Reccommend you disconnect the hot rod so it doesn't drain the battery and ignite the unit manually instead. The units themselves require very little power to operate once the igntition sequence is complete.
ckelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #3
Arlin_MacRae
somebody shut me the fark up.

I ran a Google search and there's a thread on the pelletheads forum that's probably got your answer. ;)

Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition, Pit Boss NASCAR Tailgater
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Certified KCBS Master BBQ Judge
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
tyotrain
is one Smokin' Farker

golf cart battery's would be best..

Old 05-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly View Post
Reccommend you disconnect the hot rod so it doesn't drain the battery and ignite the unit manually instead. The units themselves require very little power to operate once the igntition sequence is complete.
The igniter on most pellet grill/smokers are only on for 5 minutes and draw 400W. That's almost nothing since it's on for such a short time.

To frog, there are several threads on here discussing this.

There is a Google search near the bottom of the page that you can use. Search for inverter or something similar and you'll find those threads.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #6
Frog
Got Wood.

I used the search but i couldn't find the Size/type of battery beside it just saying "deep cycle". Im trying to figure out what is best battery, there are multiple options such as motorcycle,atv,lawn and garden, car etc.. all are different sizes im assuming each would only do so many hours of cooking before its dead. So what would be the best option be?

Old 05-15-2013, 05:04 PM   #7
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

deep cycle.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 05:29 PM   #8
Frog
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiesnap View Post
deep cycle.
LMAO

Old 05-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #9
bigdogphin
is one Smokin' Farker

Rv/marine deep cycle battery they look bigger than a regular battery and a made for trudging along.... You can go to any auto parts store and get one

"Xquelibur" Black badazz Yoder Cimarron

Custom Yoder Frontiersman II and YS1500
Reverse FEC 100 & Right Handed FEC 100
1 UDS
Desert Thermapen W/ American flag
Green Thermapen
KCBS & PNWBA CBJ
bigdogphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
I used the search but i couldn't find the Size/type of battery beside it just saying "deep cycle". Im trying to figure out what is best battery, there are multiple options such as motorcycle,atv,lawn and garden, car etc.. all are different sizes im assuming each would only do so many hours of cooking before its dead. So what would be the best option be?
The biggest you can buy?

I use a group 31 deep cycle, which is 105 amp hours. But, most batteries drop below a usable voltage at about 75% of capacity, so make that approx. 78AH.

Now... What does that mean?

Most pellet cookers use about 50W when running without the ignitor on. At 110V that's .45 amps, so that's what the cooker will draw from the output of the inverter. But, the input of the inverter is what we care about to figure battery life. at 13.8V (normal battery output) that's 3.6A. Plus, the inverter isn't 100% efficient, so add 10% as a fudge factor, so call it just under 4A.

The ignitor uses 400W, or approx 30A at 13.8V, but it's only on for 5 minutes, to that's 2.4AH, so it really doesn't reduce you run time by much.

Now, back to our battery. Is can supply 75AH of power before needing a recharge, so at 4A, that's 75/4 = 18.75 hours, - the 2.4AH that the ignitor used, so you can run for approx. 16.35 hours.

YMMV.

Also, anything else like a guru running off of the inverter or directly off of the battery will reduce that.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

2 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 05-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #11
Frog
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdogphin View Post
Rv/marine deep cycle battery they look bigger than a regular battery and a made for trudging along.... You can go to any auto parts store and get one
by chance do you know if size/CCAs matter? ive found sizes U1 and sizes 24 thru 31.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #12
G'pa Herb
Found some matches.

A Yoder YS640 draws about 240 watts during ignition and about 30 watts constant after that, but, the inverters fan, when it cycles on and off, also draws wattage. In my case, the wattage draw jumps to about 50 watts everytime the fan cycles on and off.

Deep-cycle batteries are rated by Reserve Capacity (RC). The larger the battery, normally the larger the RC. The Sams Club Group 27 deep-cycle battery I bought is rated at 180 RC. Put 2 of these together in parallel and you get 360 RC. Google for the math once you figure out what your cooker draws for wattage/amperage, and you should be able to estimate an approximate runtime for your setup. I can tell you that in my case, with one battery, doing long cooks for 3 days, the battery I have won't do it.
G'pa Herb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #13
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

For what it's worth, I run my Traeger Lil' Tex on a group 27 & a 400W Inverter with no problems. I've never run it long enough to see how long it will go but it's handled all my needs... I do let it light itself as well. I've seen where others disconnect the igniter and light it manually to save the battery. YMMV.

Old 05-16-2013, 12:12 PM   #14
Dan - 3eyzbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Dan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
approx. 16.35 hours.

Love the "approx." and then a number like .35. Made me laugh.

You have more patience then me. I just bought a generator instead.

Thanks to our sponsors: The BBQ Guru, The Grill Center, Grizzly Coolers, Make it Meaty and Natures Own Charcoal
Dan - 3eyzbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2013, 12:18 PM   #15
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan - 3eyzbbq View Post
Love the "approx." and then a number like .35. Made me laugh.

You have more patience then me. I just bought a generator instead.
Well... I guess that's the engineer in me :-)

I have a generator as well, but it's a bit of a pain to refuel. The Honda EU3000 Handi runs about 7 hours on a tank, so having a battery and an inverter with a built in auto transfer switch allows me to run off of comp power and automatically switch to the battery if power drops.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/