• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What is steak, pardon my poor English

woodpelletsmoker

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I can google and find picture of a cattle, and I can find names of different part.
But I am not sure what steak stands for

Technically, steak is any cut of meat that is sliced from a larger cut of meat, that has no bones in it. Typically, this meat comes from what is called a primal cut.

so...this is a sirloin primal
images

this is a sirloin steak
images

Beef tenderloin primal
images

beef tenderloin steak
images

I would add generally no bone. Porterhouse/t-bone both have bones and both are called steaks.

That is a excellent question. The way I take your question is you would like to understand the origin of the term. My thoughts have been a slab of meat cooked on a stick so I did a dictionary search and I am correct
"
Origin:
1400–50; late Middle English steike < Old Norse steik meat roasted on a stick

Don't worry about the English. Most of us here abuse it daily myself included:mrgreen:

Last edited:
Porterhouse, rib-eyes, sirloin and t-bone are my personal faves

A steak is any cut of meat cut off a larger piece. It can be any type of meat, but it mostly is referred to with beef. You can have a pork steak, or even a tuna steak, but if someone invites you to their favorite 'steakhouse', expect it to be beef.

Tenderloin (Short loin) 牛柳。 / niu2 liu3
Porterhouse(Short loin) 里脊,外脊/li3 ji, wai4 ji.
T Bone ... (Short loin) 丁字骨牛排/ ding1 zi4 gu3 niu2 pai2
Strip loin (Short loin) 嫩腰/ nen4 yao1
Rib eye ......... (Rib) 上脑、 腰眼/ shang4 nao3, yao1 yan3
Top Sirloin . (Sirloin) 米龙/ mi3 long2
Tir-tip ..... (Sirloin) 三岔肉/ san1 cha4 rou4
Hanger ........ (Flank) 牛腩 / niu2 nan2
Flank, Skirt .. (Flank) 腰窝 / yao1 wo1
Rump ......... (Round) 后腿, 臀尖/hou4 tui3, tun2 jian1
Sirloin tip .. (Round) 牛外脊/ niu2 wai4 ji.
Eye round .... (Round) 榔头肉/ lang2 tou rou4
Top Round .... (Round)后腿,底板肉 / hou4 tui3, di3 ban3 rou4
Bottom Round . (Round)黄瓜肉,腱子肉/ huang2 gua1 rou4, jian4 zi rou4
Blade .... (Chuck eye)上脑,前烧 ./ shang4 nao3, qian2 shao1.
7 Bone ....... (Chuck) 牛肩肉 / niu2 jian1 rou4
Shouder ...... (Chuck) 前烧,牛肩肉/ qian2 shao1, niu2 jian1 rou4
Shank ... 肘子,蹄胖,牛腱子 / zhou3 zi, ti2 pang, niu2 jian4 zi
Plate ... 牛筋肉,牛腩/ niu2 jin1 rou, niu2 nan2
Brisket . 胸口肉/ xiong1 kou3 rou4
new_lion_20062211704387172926_1.jpg

1牛颈肉/ niu2 jing3 rou4
2肩肉/ jian1 rou4
3.上脑肉/ shang4 nao3 rou4
4.胸肉/ xiong1 rou4
5.眼肉/ yan3 rou4
6.外脊/ wai4 ji rou4
7.里脊/ li3 ji rou4
8.臀肉/ tun2 rou4
9.腹肉/ fu3 rou4
10.腱子肉/ jian4 zi rou4

Although fairly new to the Brethren, I would like to commend everyone with the help and advice that everyone is willing to give to those with questions. It is very refreshing to know that in the fast pace world that we live in, there are those that are willing to help others. Once again, thank you

Although fairly new to the Brethren, I would like to commend everyone with the help and advice that everyone is willing to give to those with questions. It is very refreshing to know that in the fast pace world that we live in, there are those that are willing to help others. Once again, thank you
If only the truth was so noble. Some of us ignore our fast paced lives all day and hang around this forum and talk meat all day. :becky:

Hang on. He sells woodpelletsmokers and doesn't know what a steak is. 謝謝 Grand Poobs for clearing this up!

Look at it this way, in the picture here on the left is Steaks and on the right is Fillets. The same section of the same fish just cut differently. It is the same with meat. I hope this helps some.

Just don't pay attention to the cooking suggestions in that illustration above.. "Brisket, simmer in water" arg!

Just don't pay attention to the cooking suggestions in that illustration above.. "Brisket, simmer in water" arg!

I noticed that too. I've apparantly been doing it wrong.........:biggrin:

Back