pork cheek *fail*

Hmmm, all the guanciale I have had was made from jowls, not cheeks. The pork cheeks I have had were leaner than guanciale.

while i could not find anything definitive in charts via google on a quick search. i think, they are in fact the same thing. i'll ask the butcher next i see them.

From Wikipedia.

"Guanciale (Italian pronunciation: [ɡwanˈtʃaːle]) is most often an unsmoked Italian bacon prepared with pig's jowl or cheeks. Its name is derived from guancia, Italian for cheek. Guanciale is similar to the jowl bacon of the United States.

Pork cheek is rubbed with salt, sugar, and spices (typically ground black pepper or red pepper and thyme or fennel and sometimes garlic) and cured for three weeks. Its flavor is stronger than other pork products, such as pancetta, and its texture is more delicate.

Guanciale is traditionally used in dishes like pasta all'amatriciana and spaghetti alla carbonara. It is a delicacy of central Italy, particularly Umbria and Lazio.
Pancetta, a cured Italian bacon which is normally not smoked, can be used as a substitute when guanciale is not available."

so to follow up, my wife cooked the other two confit. i think in extra virgin olive oil and salted them HEAVILY.

the result was delicious nuggets of salty pork goodness. pork flavor really came out with the salting and the extra cooking time really broke them down nice. not pulled pork tender, but a different great texture.

i can see why these are highly revered.

I can tell you, that from my previous experience going around and around with meat counter persons, the concept that cheek and jowl are different was difficult to have understood. But, if you look at the two cuts of meat, and some guanciale (which is one of my favorite ways to season up a dish) you will see that it has to be jowl. The cheek is just too meaty and lacking fat.

pork.jpg

Raw Pork Jowl

DSCF6199.JPG

Raw Pork cheeks

these were certainly cheek, not jowl, looking at the pic of jowl.

i can see where confusion may occur, but these aren't meat counter guys, they carved the meat right off the heads in front of me. pretty cool BTW.

begs the question, those raving about cheek really maybe have had jowl?

i'll inquire further next time i go and maybe get a bit of both and have it.

Back