MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
Indymule
Got Wood.

Default New Guy with the BEST wife!

Brethren, it is with great joy and adoration that I am able to join you.
I have talked about buying a smoker for some time now. My DW gave me a original Oklahoma Joe vertical smoker (Bandera) for Valentines day. (See why I say the BEST wife)

I will post some pics as soon as I am able. I found it locally on CL at a fair price. The seller and I had a great chat about smoking and he even through in some hickory and cherry. It is in excellent shape and is jugging away as I type this with some ribs and chicken.

I have done a little smoking in the past but have decided to learn from the Masters here to improve my Que.

I'm a butt, brisket and Jack Daniels man
Jay
Indymule is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 02-14-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jon

Now cook that good women some great Q
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Kitchen stove
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Fanfarkingtastic!

I'm guessing yer gonna have a great day...and night!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indymule View Post
Brethren, it is with great joy and adoration that I am able to join you.
I have talked about buying a smoker for some time now. My DW gave me a original Oklahoma Joe vertical smoker (Bandera) for Valentines day. (See why I say the BEST wife)

I will post some pics as soon as I am able. I found it locally on CL at a fair price. The seller and I had a great chat about smoking and he even through in some hickory and cherry. It is in excellent shape and is jugging away as I type this with some ribs and chicken.

I have done a little smoking in the past but have decided to learn from the Masters here to improve my Que.
Here is a link ref; Bandera. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=42718

It is located at the top of Q-Talk section!

"I wish my mind could forget what my eyes have seen. :shocked:"

"Heavily medicated for your protection. :doh:"

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker :mrgreen::clap:[URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/"][/URL]
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #5
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Welcome!

You are in for a treat... with your smoker and the new friends you will make here... and with your wifey all over again when she realizes what a smart move it was to get you a smoker (for her benefit!).
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2013, 06:38 PM   #6
harris92
Full Fledged Farker

Default Congrats

You have an Oklahoma Joe's Vertical Roasting Oven. It was the forerunner to the Bandera. The Roasting Oven was built much better than the Bandera. I also picked one up off Craigslist about three weeks ago. I searched for about a year. I did the first smoke last week and it worked great.

Last edited by harris92; 05-01-2013 at 11:09 AM..
harris92 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #7
Indymule
Got Wood.

Harris,

That's it. I got one just like it. It is in great shape. The grates are all in good shape and he still had the coal rake.

I am very happy. Picked it up last night and started cooking this afternoon. We just finished having some chicken that was juicy and delicious. My daughter and her fiance are coming over tomorrow for dinner so I did some ribs also. I will just finish them off tomorrow on the grill.

We are having ribs, baked beans, red skin potato salad and bread & butter pickles. I would post some pictures but I don't think my account is verified yet, it will not let me upload photos (It did with the avatar though?)

Jay

Old 02-14-2013, 08:11 PM   #8
Indymule
Got Wood.

Thanks everyone. I'll post some pics when my account is verified.
I can't upload any photos yet.

Jay

Old 02-14-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
Indymule
Got Wood.

Cooks great!

Jay

Last edited by Indymule; 02-14-2013 at 08:15 PM.. Reason: Duplicate post

Old 02-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #10
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Glad you're here Jay. Cool cooker too!

Old 02-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #11
MossyMO
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Marty Owens

Glad you joined us Jay and a big congrats on the OJ Bandera, nice score for you!
MossyMO is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2013, 09:49 PM   #12
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Congrats on the latest addition... welcome to the BBQ madness!

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2013, 10:45 PM   #13
BobM
Babbling Farker

Very nice!
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2013, 11:59 PM   #14
Subzerogriller
Full Fledged Farker

Welcome, Jay! Great looking rig you've got there! Gotta love a wife who understands (or at least supports) our delicious addiction...
[COLOR=Blue][B]Proud to be supporting our troops: Limited Edition Supahfast Thermapen with US Flag[/B][/COLOR]
[FONT=Century Gothic]Joined my first TD, and dove headfirst into the [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zero's Club.[/URL]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=Red]Come [/COLOR][SIZE=2][COLOR=Red]to the Dark Side![/COLOR] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][SIZE=2]Join a Throwdown![/SIZE][/URL][/SIZE][/SIZE][/B]
[/FONT][/SIZE]
Subzerogriller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 06:47 AM   #15
harris92
Full Fledged Farker

Looking forward to seeing pics Jay. You have a keeper!!!