• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

My first brisket

bmock

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've done butts, ribs and pork loins but this was my first try at a brisket.

I got a 10.5 pound brisket trimmed off the hard fat and rub it with one of Paul kirks sugarless Texas BBQ rub.

On the smoker at 250. Temps were in between 245-285. She was on for about 11 hours.

It's loosely wrapped in foil, soon I will wrap it tight and cooler it till the Bengals game kicks off. Who Dey?!

I will snap a pic when I slice it up. Hope she stays as juicy as it looks and sounds!!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1357401703.885453.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1357401703.885453.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 189
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1357401725.746431.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1357401725.746431.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 188
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1357401736.034089.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1357401736.034089.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 185
Looks great. Go Bengals

Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP

So I was disappointed with how it sliced up. I cooked it till it probed tender all over. About 11 hours. Since it was done this morning and I didn't want to eat it till late afternoon, I let it sit in a dish loosely tented with foil for about 40 minutes then I heavily wrapped it and coolered it till about 430 this afternoon. When i unwrapped it the flat was pretty tough. The point was in decent shape. Parts of it kinda had a pot roasty taste to it.

Any thoughts on where it went wrong? The long hold in the cooler? Cooked to long, not enough?

Thanks!

I'm starting to think I didn't cook it long enough. The flat was probing tender but it had a different feel than the point did. I seemingly could have dropped the probe right through point. Am I on to something!?!?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It certainly looked good, but I've had good looking briskets come out "pot roasty" as well. Lately I've been smoking briskets in the 10-12lb range at 240 for about 12 hours, foil after it gets a mahogany color (about 4-6 hours with pecan or oak smoke), and cooler until about an hour before I'm ready to serve, I'll unwrap it and let it sit on my cutting board to tighten up before slicing. Had good results with that lately.............Oh, and GO TEXANS!! (sorry, had to get that in there, but its out of the frying pan and into the fire for us next week....)

It certainly looked good, but I've had good looking briskets come out "pot roasty" as well. Lately I've been smoking briskets in the 10-12lb range at 240 for about 12 hours, foil after it gets a mahogany color (about 4-6 hours with pecan or oak smoke), and cooler until about an hour before I'm ready to serve, I'll unwrap it and let it sit on my cutting board to tighten up before slicing. Had good results with that lately.............Oh, and GO TEXANS!! (sorry, had to get that in there, but its out of the frying pan and into the fire for us next week....)

The bengals were bad and so was my brisket.... Guess I'll have to buy another and cook it longer. And not cooler it for so long.

The bengals were bad and so was my brisket.... Guess I'll have to buy another and cook it longer. And not cooler it for so long.

you really can't cooler it too long as long as you hold temp pretty well. I've gone 6-7 hours and they were still perfect. I'm guessing it was the origianl cook temp that may have been the issue but these things are finicky. You can cook 2 side by side and they can be totally different. Keep at it and you'll be fine

You should do a few more, your process seems to have been fine.

So I was disappointed with how it sliced up.

I hope it tasted good.

Getting good 'Q is a skill to practice and learn. One of the reasons I keep detailed logs of each smoke is so that I can analyze what I've done and how I can improve the next time. I'm pretty happy with the progress I've made on my cooks and a lot of that results from reviewing my notes before every cook and making a plan to improve.

Don't be disappointed if your first cook does not come out to be everything you had hoped for. The results you will eventually achieve will make the effort you put in now well worth while. (If you learn from each cook that is less than 100% successful.)

Enjoy the journey!

Maybe next time try a larger packer. I think the larger the size of the brisket, the greater the margin for error there is.

Back