MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:45 AM   #16
chriscw81
is One Chatty Farker

A really nice UDS could be made for under 250 even if you went the more expensive route and got the drum kit from bigpoppasmokers.com. it's a little more than you're price range but the chargriller Akorn is a good option that you can set and forget, I do it all the time. I'm not trying to talk you out of electric or gas but you'd be surprised how many charcoal smokers can hold the same temp for hours, even better than gas or electric. For what's it's worth, I had the vertical gas/charcoal master forge smoker from Lowe's(under $200) and returned it. I Hope this helps.

Chris

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

[B][SIZE=1][COLOR=black]UDS | [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] Weber Performer Platinum | Chargriller Akorn | 22.5 Weber OTG | WSJ Gold | Mini WSM | Maverick ET-73 | [COLOR=blue]Blue [/COLOR][COLOR=black]Thermapen | Maverick PT-100 |[/COLOR] Gasser(charcoal chimney starter)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/B]
chriscw81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 01:03 PM   #17
javahog2002
is one Smokin' Farker

My WSM Mini will run for 5-6 hours on a very small amount of charcoal. Pop it in the oven for the rest of the time for set and forget. ECBs ( Brinkman Electric) do work. However, mine don't get much use since I built the WSM mini. The WSM mini is perfect for a pork butt. The small size seems to make it really hold a steady temp with no spikes.

Old 12-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #18
neuyawk
is one Smokin' Farker

More important question. Why can't anyone invent something that will let me sit outside during the winter to smoke my cigar?

Old 12-05-2012, 02:10 PM   #19
shirknwrk
is one Smokin' Farker

Oven + Smoking Gun

shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 02:55 PM   #20
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by J'ville Grill View Post
What don't you like about Kingsford charcoal? It's what many of us use in our WSM's and Cajun Bandits.
Just not a fan of it. I'm a stubb's convert. Kingsford IMO makes too much ash and just doesn't burn as well as the stubb's. That said though, I also use Royal Oak lump too. Unfortunately, Lowe's and Wal-Mart both phase out the RO and Stubb's because I'm apparently the only one that buys it during the winter. So before Thanksgiving I usually stock up. This year I didn't because I wanted to spend the money to try out electric and/or gas.

To those saying I should build a UDS, I mostly certainly could and might, but that again would require me to have the stock pile of charcoal for the winter. If I build one, it wouldn't be until next year depending upon how the electric/gas experiment goes.

Thanks for all the responses!

Old 12-05-2012, 03:08 PM   #21
flyingbassman5
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
Mind you, I dont live in MO (snow & all), but I dont have to babysit too much, even though I use an offset. I'm thinking you may be doing a few other things less-than-stellar that may be hampering your efforts.
Its not so much that I'm not turning out good Q or having trouble keeping temps with any of my cookers. Its quite the opposite really. My Coleman will keep 225-250 for 2 or 3 hours without any adjustments on the intake. If i keep adjusting the intake as the fire burns at that temp, I can cook for 8-10 hours on one load of Stubb's. But still, that takes supervision.

I'm mostly just experimenting so the oven isn't out of the picture either.

Old 12-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #22
aawa
Babbling Farker

You can get stubb's off amazon $18 for 15lbs. Royal Oak $7.90 for 16lbs. If you have a prime account you get free 2 day shipping to your door step.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #23
Mattlsmith
On the road to being a farker

I own a Traeger and love it. While you wont get as much smoke the baby makes bbq'ing easy. For example I recently had a party where I needed to smoke 4 butts by 11am. I threw them on the Traeger at 9 pm filled my hopper and went to bed. It's important to note that I also live in a cold climate with snow and the traeger powered through all night. I woke up with my butts almost done and ready to eat. They came out amazing and the fact I didn't have to wake up at 3 am is worth any amount of money.
Mattlsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #24
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

One thing to consider if the gas your talking about using is Propane. The tank pressure will drop in the tank in cold weather. May have to swap out for a fresh one and let the other warm up again.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2012, 05:19 PM   #25
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toast View Post
One thing to consider if the gas your talking about using is Propane. The tank pressure will drop in the tank in cold weather. May have to swap out for a fresh one and let the other warm up again.
Unless you sit the propane tank on the grill...

Old 12-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #26
rcbaughn
Full Fledged Farker

I use a Brinkmann electric when I don't want to do anything but stick some wood in there and fill up a water pan. I think it runs pretty consistently and has provided me with a few good Boston butts, but it has always done poorly on ribs although I think that might have to do with my technique and me leaving then unfoiled too long and on the smoker too long overall.

They are cheap too, like around $70 plus tax. It's nice to have when I don't want to fire up the Mini WSM, although I will say that the set and forget electric is almost as much work to set up as the Mini WSM I have, it just doesn't have to be tended on the temp and it gets going a lot faster as well. The smoke flavor that I get on the electric seems to be almost the same as well, albeit a little less of that "charcoal" fire flavor.

Maybe someone else can chime in on the Brinkmann and if they have had good luck with one.

Old 12-06-2012, 01:41 AM   #27
westy
is one Smokin' Farker

Got one of the Masterbuilt cookers myself. Its the 30 electric. Done alot of cooking in that and its been reliable. Piece of advice if you pick one up, take off the control package on the top and take it inside. They are sensitive. Also keep it covered, or better yet inside a shed or garage.
westy is offline   Reply With Quote