MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:43 AM   #1
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Default Best way to ungunk a daisy wheel

When starting the fire on my Egg, there is always the initial burnoff before smoke is totally clear. During this period, a small amount of creosote starts forming on the bottom of my daisy wheel.

Using the daisy wheel when I am cooking is no problem....but after the Egg cools, the gunk hardens on the daisy wheel, making it stick.

Any ideas how to easily clean the gunk from the daisy wheel?
tortaboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2012, 11:44 AM   #2
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Simple green, Remove it and soak it in naptha then clean it in simple green reinstall. Remove it and blast it with your weed burner( if you don't have one it's a good excuse to get one) then wire brush it. Trade it in for a stick burner.

Old 11-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
fingerlickin'
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I have the same problem and I'm fresh outta naptha.

"I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's a$$, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it". - [I]Tommy Callahan III[/I][/COLOR][/COLOR]
[B][SIZE=2][COLOR=DarkGreen][SIZE=3][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Backwoods Ext. Party,[/COLOR][/SIZE][/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE][COLOR=DarkGreen] [COLOR=Black]Vision Kamado,[/COLOR][/COLOR][/B][B][COLOR=DarkGreen][COLOR=DarkGreen][B][COLOR=Black] 22" WSM[/COLOR][/B],[/COLOR] 22.5 Weber OTS, [/COLOR][/B][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]Mini WSM, [/B][COLOR=Red][B] UDS "No.8"[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Teal] [COLOR=Black][B][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Napkin Killers BBQ[/COLOR]
[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR]
fingerlickin' is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
milehigh
is One Chatty Farker

I always throw it on the grill and let her go wide open for a short time before i cap it off. Keeps it from building up.

Paul

Old 11-23-2012, 12:18 PM   #5
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Heat it up, take it apart and hit with a cup brush on the rechargeable drill.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #6
deepsouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehigh View Post
I always throw it on the grill and let her go wide open for a short time before i cap it off. Keeps it from building up.

Paul

this

Old 11-23-2012, 01:45 PM   #7
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Simple green, Remove it and soak it in naptha then clean it in simple green reinstall. Remove it and blast it with your weed burner( if you don't have one it's a good excuse to get one) then wire brush it. Trade it in for a stick burner.
Had a stick burner....prefer the Kamado.

Food comes out juicier, and I like sleep.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehigh View Post

Paul
I often put it on the grill at the end of the cook, but that is when I'm snuffing out the fire with the ceramic top. Still warm inside. I'll have to try this when ramping it up to see if the additional heat melts the crud.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
Heat it up, take it apart and hit with a cup brush on the rechargeable drill.
What is a Cup brush?

Old 11-23-2012, 04:10 PM   #10
swamprb

Are you using the rain cap to snuff the fire when you are done cooking?

Stick the DMFT on the grill to burn off the gunk.
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2012, 04:25 PM   #11
tortaboy
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
Are you using the rain cap to snuff the fire when you are done cooking?

Stick the DMFT on the grill to burn off the gunk.

Yes. I am using the rain cap to snuff out the fire.

Putting the Daisy wheel on the grill has not done a good job at cleaning off the gunk so far....but, I usually put it on at the very end of the cook when I have the rain cap on. Even though the fire is going out, the egg is still hot for awhile.

I may have to put it on at higher heat, and/or at least put it on the grill as the Egg is coming UP to temp. Will be curious to see if this helps.

Is this a non issue for some of you Kamado owners?

Old 11-23-2012, 05:10 PM   #12
cookingdude555
Full Fledged Farker

Mine is only used for low and slow, all other cook temps are handled with the lower vent only. So it's not much of an issue. Throw it in the coals during a hot cook, that will clean it.

Too many cookers ...
cookingdude555 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #13
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

When mine gets bad I just throw it in the lump after a cook and open up the vents.
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote