BBQ Brethren "Pulled" Throwdown!

Official Entry.

Scarlett is being extra patient with me so no time to say much more than.

Here is the cook thread.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146889

Here the money shot.

Q3.jpg

Thanks for looking

I forsee someone playing the snow crutch :thumb:

It stopped snowing so I'll have to use the hurricane crutch. Phase 1 and 2 in this cook are done which included a 14 hour overnight pork shoulder smoke. I'm baking Phase 3 in the oven instead of outside on the smoker. Just finished pulling that 14# shoulder and my back is done but there is still a fair bit to do. Good vibes to my rural internet working to post tonight. My heart goes out to those who got and are getting the worst of Sandy's temper, we'll get a reduced share tomorrow. Our winds have been picking up throughout the day with neverending rain -- strangely they're still coming from the north with an Arctic chill.

I decided to leave the cover off my kamado smoker and BBQ to create less wind resistance. What do you guys do with your equipment in high winds? We're expecting 90 to 120 km/hr winds tomorrow (56 to 74 mph).

It stopped snowing so I'll have to use the hurricane crutch. Phase 1 and 2 in this cook are done which included a 14 hour overnight pork shoulder smoke. I'm baking Phase 3 in the oven instead of outside on the smoker. Just finished pulling that 14# shoulder and my back is done but there is still a fair bit to do. Good vibes to my rural internet working to post tonight. My heart goes out to those who got and are getting the worst of Sandy's temper, we'll get a reduced share tomorrow. Our winds have been picking up throughout the day with neverending rain -- strangely they're still coming from the north with an Arctic chill.

I decided to leave the cover off my kamado smoker and BBQ to create less wind resistance. What do you guys do with your equipment in high winds? We're expecting 90 to 120 km/hr winds tomorrow (56 to 74 mph).

Really, Prepare for power outage and get a lot of ICE and water. Don't count on the thing we all take for granted such as electricity, water and Heat. Plan for about one week at the minimum of doing without.

I say this to anyone who will listen. Clean and fill a bathtub with water and add one drop of bleach per 10 gallons of water. It's about water and ice for at least 3 days.

I was busy making dinner for much of the day and preparing for some silly hurricane, so I didn't have much time to prepare the entry. Essentially, it was just made from some leftovers we had the other night. Luckily, I could work on my entry at the same time as I made dinner. Dinner was nothing too original, except I had a particular craving. There was a restaurant I used to go to that made a thick, medium-rare, oblong hamburger served in something like a kaiser roll with thousand island dressing. Do they even make thousand island dressing anymore? Anyway, that is more or less what I wanted, ... except we didn't have rolls, ... or hamburger ..., but I could make up some thousand island dressing, so this is my take on that "hamburger."

I began with some chuck and made some pepper stout beef -- :roll:

IMG_6076.jpg

I seasoned with simple salt and pepper. After two hours collecting smoke, I sliced up some onions, peppers, and added a bottle of chocolate stout, yeah, the good stuff from my basement.

IMG_6077.jpg

I added the chuckies on top, and covered.

IMG_6081.jpg

After a few more hours, I could remove that and let sit. Eventually, I had dinner

IMG_6086.jpg

yeah, that is on a tortilla, ... and the taste? ... just like what I remember from that burger :roll: -- and that dressing is homemade thousand island dressing except I used ranch dressing instead of mayo. Mmmmmmmm!

So, getting back to my entry that was prepared from some leftover roast chickens my wife made. Oh, now those were good!

IMG_6091.jpg

I think the next one probably fits the category best (this next pic, Biggie).

IMG_6093.jpg

I'm thinking if that wish works out, school is going to be cancelled on Wednesday too. :thumb:

Last edited:
Amazingly enough, I cooked food that was relevant to a TD, so I figured I'd enter and see if I could get a vote this time.

My youngest kid's school has an annual Halloween carnival and beginning last year I started slinging BBQ to raise money for the PTA. I sell pulled pork sammiches which come with slaw (Guerry's slaw), MOINKs, and beans (Kevin's) are available either as a side or by the bowl.

I started off with 100# of butts. I followed Chris Lily's shoulder recipe - made the rub and injected 'em (used 1/2 of the salt called for in the recipe). Last year it was 12 butts, this year it was 16.

photo-102.jpg

I cooked 12 in the offset and 4 in the Backwoods Chubby I won from abang's last raffle.

photo-103.jpg

photo-104.jpg

Pulled 'em off as they became ready

photo-105.jpg

Let 'em rest a couple hours then pulled

photo-106.jpg

It worked out to around 50#, maybe a little less pulled.

I did all this on Monday for the even which was yesterday (Saturday). I vac sealed in 3# increments and did the last 5# in 1# bags. I froze the one pounders and a couple 3 pounders to use to keep the other pacs cold in the cooler.

I set up my area, and just boiled and cut bags all day while cooking MOINKs as well.

Photo1-74.jpg

Photo1-75.jpg

Event went OK this year, but not as good as last year - it was pretty hot and people weren't eating as much. There weren't as many people at the event this year either - the other booths also had less folks and it was pretty dang hot, so drinks were moving more than the food. Last year I sold out and raised a lot of money. I raised a good amount this year, but had some left over - but it's all good - I have food for the Webelos camp out next week. :thumb:

It's a hell of a lot of work, but it really is fun. My lovely wife, my folks, and a good friend helped out. There were some displaced Southerners there who were appreciative of getting a BBQ sammich, and folks were happy to have an alternative to burgers, hot dogs, and pizza.

Anyway, please use this for the money shot.

photo-106.jpg

Thanks for looking!

My official "I think I pulled something" TD entry. I was at Costco when I pulled these out of the cooler.

butts.jpg

I needed to pull out some heat.

someheat.jpg

I decided I would season the butts and put them on the WSM.

Q-

Sorry no picks of them on the WSM, I tried to pull them onto the grill but just couldn't do it without burning myself.:tsk:

After a few minutes on the grill I pulled them off to rest in the cambro.

pans.jpg

While they were resting I pulled the string thingy on my weed eater until it started and did some honey-do's.

Once they were done I pulled the bones out.

bones.jpg

I figured I've gone this far and pulled the rest of it too.

pulled.jpg

While no one was looking I pulled a fast one and pulled these out of the cupboard.

massa.jpg

to make myself a sandwich.

munyons.jpg

Thanks for looking. :thumb:

073-1.jpg

That right there is the best "Kid Crutch" I've ever seen. Good Post FamilyMan!

Thanks! "Kid Crutch" or no...

...nothing happens around here without at least one of the kids involved.

Max has become my newest smoking buddy. We do work while his older siblings are off at highschool and/or the homeschool network classrooms with Mrs FamillyMan.

My Official Entry into the "Pulled" TD

Please accept this official entry into the "Pulled" TD titled "Pulled Pork and Coleslaw Pie"

Whole pork shoulder below -- 9 kg so about 19#.

SIMG0004-1.jpg

SIMG0013.jpg

The first rub was leftover rib rub I made up (in fridge photot), the second layer was made from the ingredients in the other photo. I really liked the flavour of celery seed in the finished pulled pork.

SIMG0019.jpg

SIMG0015.jpg

Got to work on the slaw. Used Guerry's dressing recipe 'cept the hot sauce 'cause my other half is a wuss. Used a technique from Learning Querve that used salt and time sitting to pull water out of the vegetables. Especially important I thought for using in a pie.

SIMG0024.jpg

SIMG0032.jpg

Look at this shoulder after 14 hours! About a quarter of the coal was mesquite, tasted great.

SIMG0027.jpg

SIMG0030.jpg

The afternoon snow made me crave something hot and delicious. Then again, I was out tending the smoker as usual in my bare feet, etc.. This drink was absolutely delicious and went down fast leaving a fuzzy warmth. Normally I have the utmost respect for single malt scotch but I quite disliked this one --the Rolo picked it right up!

SIMG0038-1.jpg

Now to make a gluten free pie crust for two pies.

SIMG0045.jpg

SIMG0047.jpg

In the food processor.

SIMG0050.jpg

Put the dough balls in the fridge and got the shoulder out to start pulling.

SIMG0055.jpg

SIMG0056.jpg

Got some help from my canine son who was well rewarded throughout the pull.

SIMG0058.jpg

SIMG0059.jpg

Took a picture outside in the rain because I wanted a good chance to get true colours for the pull. The smoke ring was so red and beautiful. Too bad they didn't turn out truer.

PLEASE USE THE PHOTO BELOW FOR VOTING.

SIMG0065.jpg

Pulling took quite a while and my dough balls had to warm up a bit before they would budge.

SIMG0071.jpg

SIMG0074.jpg

Making a version of Guerry's slaw dressing -- with less sugar for this savoury pie and of course no hot sauce. :mad:

SIMG0081.jpg

Pies with a layer of pulled pork in the bottom.

SIMG0078.jpg

Now a layer of coleslaw!

SIMG0082.jpg

SIMG0085.jpg

Made a silicone ring from a baking mat to protect pie edges but it wasn't needed this time.

SIMG0088.jpg

Here's dinner.

SIMG0090.jpg

SIMG0094.jpg

I have to say this pie was absolutely delicious! I plan to make many more. When I get better at it I'll post a new pie cook in Qtalk with the gluten free pastry recipe. I encourage anyone who loves meat pies like I do and who loves slaw on a pulled pork sammy to try making a pie, it's fantastic. The cabbage gives it amazing flavour and the tangy slaw dressing worked well with the pork seasonings. The mesquite flavour was lovely, too.

Thanks for looking.

If a wishbone isn't a rib, then what the fark is it? :confused:

You are close... If you would have said what the furcula is it, you would have been spot on:

The furcula ("little fork" in Latin) or wishbone is a forked bone found in birds and some other animals, and is formed by the fusion of the two clavicles. In birds, its primary function is in the strengthening of the thoracic skeleton to withstand the rigors of flight. The furcula works as a strut between a bird's shoulders, and articulates to each of the bird's scapulae. In conjunction with the coracoid and the scapula, it forms a unique structure called the triosseal canal, which houses a strong tendon that connects the supracoracoideus muscles to the humerus. This system is responsible for lifting the wings during the recovery stroke. As the thorax is compressed by the flight muscles during up- and downstroke, the upper ends of the furcula spread apart, expanding by as much as 50% of its resting width, and then contracts. X-ray films of starlings in flight have shown that in addition to strengthening the thorax, the furcula acts like a spring in the pectoral girdle during flight. It expands when the wings are pulled downward and snaps back as they are raised. Acting like a spring, the furcula is able to store some of the energy generated by contraction in the breast muscles, expanding the shoulders laterally, and then releasing the energy during upstroke as the furcula snaps back to the normal position. This, in turn, draws the shoulders toward the midline of the body. In birds, the furcula also may aid in respiration by helping to pump air through the air sacs (heh, heh, heh... It said sack :heh:).

:becky:

Back