MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
cynfulsmokersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Default What are you charging for Brisket?

Just curious what others are charging for brisket at vending events and caterings? I usually cater using a pre-set per plate price that depends on the number of meats and sides ordered.

Are you raising prices, lowering the amount served on a bun? Changing nothing at all?

I'm not seeing a lot of profit in Brisket right now, and I'm afraid it is due to get worse.
cynfulsmokersbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
jbrink01
is Blowin Smoke!

$12 / #, assumes 4 servings per#.
[CENTER][B][I][B]KCBS #13207[/B][/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]2013 Insane Can Posse [/I][I]Tour [/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][I]Sponsored By: [/I][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Gateway BBQ Store[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Blues Hog BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][I]Plowboys BBQ Company[/I][/B][/CENTER]
jbrink01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
HandsomeSwede
Full Fledged Farker

Unless you're in Texas you'll never make enough money on your brisket. Cost is too high and the yield from whole packers is too much of a crapshoot in terms of yield to apply any normal pricing formula.

$12/lb. is giving it away - you're a saint jbrink1! I have been doing $16/lb. and I still have days where it doesn't work out on the profit side as I would like.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
bosshawgs
Knows what a fatty is.

i sell brisket on a roll with some cold slaw for 7 bucks.i slice brisket real thin makes a nice sandwich
bosshawgs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2012, 06:22 PM   #5
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

I'm getting $6 a sammie, don't have many that want it by the lb. I am not feeling like there is much profit in brisket or ribs in my area.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2012, 07:03 PM   #6
bosshawgs
Knows what a fatty is.

how much are you guys paying for your brisket
bosshawgs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2012, 07:28 PM   #7
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshawgs View Post
how much are you guys paying for your brisket

That's what I'm trying to figure out? At $3.19/lb for CAB Choice, a 10 lber cost me $31.90. At a 40% loss due to moisture, I get about a 6 lb yield of meat. That means that at $12/lb, you have $72 - the $32 for the raw product = $40 roughly. Take away another 20% for incidentals like fuel, rub and such and you're still left with $32. A pretty decent (about 75% by my calculations) profit IMO not counting your time. Or did I miss some thing? These are strictly rough #'s BTW. Just throwing it out there.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB
CarolinaQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #8
HandsomeSwede
Full Fledged Farker

If you're not counting your time you're not doing yourself justice. And fuel to get there and back, and charcoal, smoke wood, utensils, napkins, sauce, foil, utility costs for refrigeration and hot holding, venue or organizer costs, sales tax and ...

Old 09-19-2012, 04:13 AM   #9
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

It's about doing quantity at that point though, isn't it? Are you going to make much profit off of one? Not likely, but you will off of several. If you charged an hourly rate just for the time it takes you to cook a brisket, no one would be able to afford it. The general rule of 3 X's your total cost for a gig should leave plenty of margin for profit. If it's a fair or other public type event, you have to charge per plate or lb and hope you sell it all to make your money back and then some.

[COLOR=darkred]“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.”[/COLOR] - Mark Twain

- Beautiful family
- Home made trailer mounted reverse flow offset w/ vertical chamber, Weber OTG and an ECB

Old 09-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #10
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post
That's what I'm trying to figure out? At $3.19/lb for CAB Choice, a 10 lber cost me $31.90. At a 40% loss due to moisture, I get about a 6 lb yield of meat. That means that at $12/lb, you have $72 - the $32 for the raw product = $40 roughly. Take away another 20% for incidentals like fuel, rub and such and you're still left with $32. A pretty decent (about 75% by my calculations) profit IMO not counting your time. Or did I miss some thing? These are strictly rough #'s BTW. Just throwing it out there.
The part in red is all of that other stuff you were refering.

A couple of questions though...Are we talking about a catered, private event or a public event like a fair or such? Two different events that require two different price lists. Are you charging enough comparatively based on your expenses and what are you're expectations of a "fair" price for all of the factors involved? Are you looking at this from an hourly rate stand point or an over all price for product stand point?

- Beautiful family

Old 09-19-2012, 07:03 AM   #11
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaQue View Post

You are probbly right if you are in a area that you will sell a lot of brisket. Here in Virginia I will sell 24 butts to 1 brisket. My cost in a cooked lb is $5.72 if I use the cost X3 that has me selling at about $17.25lb.

I guess what I was saying in my first comment is that about the only big seller I have that I can do cost X 3 is pork because I sure can't do it with brisket and ribs.
HBMTN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #12
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBMTN View Post
You are probbly right if you are in a area that you will sell a lot of brisket. Here in Virginia I will sell 24 butts to 1 brisket. My cost in a cooked lb is $5.72 if I use the cost X3 that has me selling at about $17.25lb.

I guess what I was saying in my first comment is that about the only big seller I have that I can do cost X 3 is pork because I sure can't do it with brisket and ribs.
I agree with you. I lived in Virginia before being transfered in Maine and I fully understand that pork is king there. I'm not saying that the end all be all formula is the X 3 approach and thing will have to be adjusted according to your market. However, $10 a lb is not out of the question and still gives you almost a %100 profit not counting your time, which is subjective to how you view it.

I personally don't look at the time it takes me to cook as an hourly rate approach. I look at it as an over all cost of raw product and charge accordingly and accept that it's not a short process and it's just part of the reality of choosing to take on a gig. I think that if we charged for every hour of time, it would be a very unreasonable and unrealistic expectation.

They way I see it, if it costs $500 in raw product (no matter what the protein), that's every thing included...food, plates, foil, cutlery, all incidentals including gas and taxes, charging $1500 for the event is what's paying for my time. And many events that have 100 people, it takes 3 or so days between purchasing all said incidentals, setting up, cooking and cleaning every thing up. Unless you have help and then you have to weigh the help to pay out ratio that cut's into your profit.

So, in reality, if you do a gig your self, that hypothetical $1,000 is split by 3 or however many days it takes to complete the full cycle. I'd say $330 a day, hypothetically, isn't all that shaby.

Granted, selling per/lb or per rack is different, and you may have to cut into that profit of that specific meat a little to satisfy clientel for the sake of keeping a positive light on you just by making it available. Kind of the "you have to spend money to make money" saying goes. It may be a smaller profit margin looking at it in black and white, but it may be benificial in the big picture by bringing in more customers.

- Beautiful family

Old 09-19-2012, 07:47 AM   #13
big514
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Wow that sounds expencive but then again I am just starting out and not to sure what to charge I have done some catering and have had good feed back I was charging around 12 dollars a plate and that included sides Now that I think about it I guess that there is quite abit to take in and charge for. Just like you all were talking about.
big514 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #14
CarolinaQue
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big514 View Post
Wow that sounds expencive but then again I am just starting out and not to sure what to charge I have done some catering and have had good feed back I was charging around 12 dollars a plate and that included sides

How many and what types of meats and sides is this $12 plate? What is the cost to you per plate for raw product? You may be right in the ball park?

- Beautiful family

Old 09-19-2012, 08:18 AM   #15
HandsomeSwede
Full Fledged Farker

"They way I see it, if it costs $500 in raw product (no matter what the protein), that's every thing included...food, plates, foil, cutlery, all incidentals including gas and taxes, charging $1500 for the event is what's paying for my time."

Pretty arbritrary number, and to just make a sweeping statement that this is "all incidentals" doesn't really give an accurate picture. All sorts of things to consider: did you buy from Sam's or Rest Depot, if you did you're paying for a membership, equipment depreciation, travel costs (very few people, especially in the Northeast will have consistent business selling in their backyard every week or have events right around the corner), gas money spent driving to purchase product, insurance, water for washing, propane or whatever you use to heat water to wash; and again no one has even talked about Sales Tax - and the accountant you'll hire to do those taxes, and your LLC formation, routine trailer or truck maintenance, etc.

You're leaving too much out.

"you may have to cut into that profit of that specific meat a little to satisfy clientel for the sake of keeping a positive light on you just by making it available. Kind of the "you have to spend money to make money" saying goes. It may be a smaller profit margin looking at it in black and white, but it may be benificial in the big picture by bringing in more customers."

Already your formula starts to break down then if you're giving larger portions to please customers; but you're right - try charging somebody $6 for a 3-4 oz. portion of sliced brisket and see what kind of reaction you get, not that impressive on a plate.

So if you're giving larger portions to make it look good and bring in more people now you have to buy more raw product to feed those people and the initial numbers you cite are shot.