MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:57 AM   #46
ChicagoSizzlin
Full Fledged Farker

Living in Chicago I have access to an insane amount of ethnic grocery stores. These are the places that have a huge variety of peppers. So many in fact that I think it would take me months of trying to make sauce with each one. We have tried the Chipotle Adobo sauce and I think its horrible. It leaves such a tomato paste taste in the sauce no matter how I cook it. I cant stress enough on using the real thing. Such a huge difference and you can really taste it more prominently.

Making sauce is so much fun that I honestly think its a hobby of mine. Much Like ChaCha I love to get my customers involved as well as friends and neighbors. We have customers who request shelf sauce but we always bring our own just for them to taste. 9 times out 10 when they order again they want our sauce over the shelf. Sometimes people play it safe and go with they know but give them a chance to take the risk.

Proud Owner of a UDS & UDG

My UDG - Ugly Drum Grill

Member of the Drumhead Club
ChicagoSizzlin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #47
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

I make my own rubs but for the life of me I can't seem to make a decent sauce other than my Carolina Red Vinegar sauce. I have poured out so many batches of sauce I can't count. I have read every book, tried tons of recipes and still can't get what I like enough to make it myself. I have a few favorite commercial/competition sauces but don't seem to be able to get close to what comes in a bottle. I feel like such a failure and it pisses me off. My wife doesn't understand why it bothers me so much since I can get what I want off the shelf. :(
Old 08-20-2011, 09:45 PM   #48
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pa_BBQ View Post
I have my concession trailer about finished inspector will be here Tuesday to inspect it and pick up the information for the business license.

I am starting off very small, going to start with just pulled pork, chips and drinks. I will offer sauces on the side and there are no BBQ companies around here to ask so will ask you guys about BBQ Sauce.

Do you buy commercial or make your own? I would love to make my own but have no clue where to start. I have a couple Carolina sauces I make and like (mustard based) but for the Stubs type sauce I have been buying it at walmart.

So if you use commercial types, do you leave it in the original bottle or at least make it look like you made it?

Sorry if this has been covered before I did a search and did not find an answer.

Since I do not compete, maybe someone would share a basic sauce to start with and I can tweak it to my liking.
Make sure and check with your HD, if I make my own sauce, everything must be cooked in my vending trailer, unless you have a commissary
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 11:02 AM   #49
ChicagoSizzlin
Full Fledged Farker

Does anyone see any difference when cooking their sauce at a low simmer for longer than 20mins? I have seen some people cook theirs up to 4 hours. I tried it a couple of times and I honestly didn't notice much difference.

My UDG - Ugly Drum Grill

Old 09-18-2011, 02:58 PM   #50
chachahut
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoSizzlin View Post
Does anyone see any difference when cooking their sauce at a low simmer for longer than 20mins? I have seen some people cook theirs up to 4 hours. I tried it a couple of times and I honestly didn't notice much difference.
Two basic reasons for a long simmer...

1. The longer you cook a high sugar sauce, the deeper the flavor as the sugar caramelizes.

2. Reducing the sauce. Long simmers will drive out some of the water/liquid making for a thicker sauce.

I simmer my house sauce & high sugar sauces for a couple hours. My mustard or hot sauces only go for 1/2 hour.

Backwoods Pro Jr.
Backwoods Competitor
busted Backwoods Fatboy
Weber 22.5 Kettle
some stainless wood fired thing
chachahut is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-18-2011, 05:15 PM   #51
smokinit
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachahut View Post

1. The longer you cook a high sugar sauce, the deeper the flavor as the sugar caramelizes.

2. Reducing the sauce. Long simmers will drive out some of the water/liquid making for a thicker sauce.

I simmer my house sauce & high sugar sauces for a couple hours. My mustard or hot sauces only go for 1/2 hour.

Hey Frank good to see your still haning in there give me a shout some time.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:41 PM   #52
cwo2lt
Got Wood.

Quote:

Thanks for the tip. I make my own sauces for my own use (1 mustard & 1 KC style sweet red) and have wondered about the small differences between batches. I will pay closer attention to cook time in the future.
cwo2lt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:01 AM   #53
ChicagoSizzlin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

Thanks Frank! One of the problems I was having was some sauce being too thin. Next batch will have to extend my cooking times.

My UDG - Ugly Drum Grill