76lb of beefy goodness on the cooker

FatDaddy

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Well, my wife volunteered my services for an ag meeting this afternoon. She and her coworkers have talked my brisket up pretty big, and so when it came time for the board to decide on where they wanted their bbq from they asked if I could do it.. Im cookin for approx 60-80 folks. All I have to provide is the meat, they hired a deli in town to serve and do all the sides. So here it is. 76lb of choice angus brisket. they have been on since about 2130 and are fixing to get wrapped and finished off. Hopefully will have em in the cooler by 0900. There are 6 in the cooker, ranging from 12 to 17lb. cooking over hickory and oak at about 225-250.

Attachments

• P6220266.jpg
    P6220266.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 397
  • P6220270.jpg
    P6220270.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 395
  • brisket2.jpg
    brisket2.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 395
  • P6230272.jpg
    P6230272.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 395
Last edited:
Let me guess you're using the Smokey Joe to smoke those briskets :-D

lol. noticed a little while ago, i forgot to close off the drain valve lol. thats gonna be a mess in the middle of the road lol

That's a beautiful site Fatdaddy. It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it.:becky:

That looks too good. I'm drooling right now...

On a side note, I've only eaten brisket once, and that was last week. I ordered it online (from a guy who had smoked it for 20-something hours...). It turned up frozen in a vaccum-sealed pack, so I just had to defrost it, and then reheat it. It looked like 3 decent sized steaks, but then when it was reheated, it just fell apart, so I pulled it apart (pulled pork-style). Is this the usual way to eat brisket or is it usually thinly sliced like pastrami or something? Any insight will be appreciated!

Nice looking pile o'brisket!!

Some folks love pulled brisket.

"Normal" (since when is anything normal around here) is to slice it about 1/4 thick and enjoy. That being said, if you overcook one and it falls apart - well hell, guess you have "pulled" brisket by default. Not that I've ever done that!! Either way, it's good eating most of the time!

That's a fine pile of brisket you got there. Looking good so far. That's a nice looking homemade offset smoker you have too. :thumb:

Pulled em all off about 0830. They are in the cooler resting till lunch time. I'll try and get some pics of em while I'm slicing. All the folks walking this morning just had to stop and ask what I was cooking. Said they could smell it all over the neighborhood. Haha.

Good looking brisket. I like your home made smoker. Hope it come out perfect for you.

Rookie question but do you pull them at a certain temp or when the feel right?

For me it is a combination of both. Once they hit about 190 or so I'll start probing bout every half hour till the probe slides in easily with little resistance. So it could be anywhere from 190-210 some times. But usually If ya rest em in the cooler log enough they will keep cookin so ya gotta make sure ya don't over cook it ahead of time lol.

another rookie ?

what is the purpose of the tinfoil ball on the probe?
This is just a guess on my part, but I'd say it's to get a temp close to the grate without actually touching the grate (which could falsify the reading).

This is just a guess on my part, but I'd say it's to get a temp close to the grate without actually touching the grate (which could falsify the reading).

some guys use a potato, looks like he used foil but the above answer is correct

Mmmmmmmm........brisket.......:thumb::clap2:

Can't wait to see the sliced pics!

Your gonna have one happy crowd pretty soon. Would love to see your finished food and happy faces.

Very nice Thwere are going to be a lot of happy people at your wifes work place

a6cd0830-87ad-95ed.jpg
a6cd0830-8813-21a3.jpg
a6cd0830-8841-208a.jpg
a6cd0830-886a-3654.jpg
a6cd0830-8893-0a4e.jpg

It turned out great! About 67 folks showed up. But they served themselves and pretty well cleaned up most of the meat. Got
Compliments from everybody. Here are a few pics I took with my phone. So they aren't the greatest.

Back