Which (ATC) Temperature Controller is Most Reliable?

• Pitmaster IQ

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DigiQ

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Rocks Stoker

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

WSM2

Reaction score
Hi Guys...

I have a Stumps Stretch smoker on order. I want an ATC and have been looking at the ones that are most talked about. But I need some help in deciding which one is the right one for me.

Here's what I need: It must be extremely reliable. It must be easy to use and a simple design. No Frills- temp up, temp down and must have a few meat probes, Should be quality made. It will be used for catering so it will get a lot of use. And if I am lucky, it would be nice, though not entirely important, it should work with my Apple OSX MacBook Pro.

• Pitmaster IQ,
  • BBQ Guru DigiQ II
  • Rocks Stoker-Basic
If you guys could share some knowledge to a new user it would be great. I have done some research, but I am open to your suggestions. Other than that, I just want a unit that is dependable and does what it is supposed to do.

Thank you.

I don't own a Stump yet, but my dealer likes the Guru. BTW he is winning a lot of comps too.

DigiQ is easy and reliable. Customer service is responsive. I don't think that model is enabled for computer interface, which I consider a plus.

The Pitmaster does not have food probes. I think the higher end Guru's can be fitted for multiple food probes, but not sure. I think you need to go with the Stoker. I personally do not have one, but they can accomodate multiple food probes and I believe there is a program for Macs. The stoker is a bit more expensive than the others.
I do have a guru and love it. I didn't need or want the extra features that the Stoker offered, although it is pretty cool to remotely control pit temps and monitor food temps from your iphone.

WSM2-
I am also contemplating the exact same question (I ordered my Stretch in Janurary). The IQUE 110 doesn't have meat probes; it only controls the pit temp. From what I hear, the Stoker isn't a no-frills controller. It is definitely the most complex of the three units you mentioned. Based on your preferences, I would say that the Guru is your best match. That being said, I think I am going to get a Stoker. I am a Millennial, so naturally I opt for the most technologically advanced controller I can find.

The Pitmaster does not have food probes. I think the higher end Guru's can be fitted for multiple food probes, but not sure. I think you need to go with the Stoker. I personally do not have one, but they can accomodate multiple food probes and I believe there is a program for Macs. The stoker is a bit more expensive than the others.
I do have a guru and love it. I didn't need or want the extra features that the Stoker offered, although it is pretty cool to remotely control pit temps and monitor food temps from your iphone.

Ok. So Pitmaster is out of question. Gotta be able to control more than just the pit temp.

DigiQ II With Pit Viper Fan, this one seems to have some nice features.
http://www.charcoalstore.com/products/BBQ-Guru-800-1015-000/CH-5466.html#

I own and have used a stoker and a guru on my stretch at comps. Ive won comps with both. They both perform well. I found myself not using the extra features of the stoker after the novelty wore off. The guru only has one probe so that was the only downside for me over the stoker. The stoker gets used at home and as a backup unit (and is actually for sale). The guru and a themapen pull comp duty.

Also my stretch came with a guru adapter on it. You have to pay for the stoker adapter.

The CyberQ II has my vote, and it's probably a more fair comparison to the Stoker, albeit no direct network capability.

The CyberQ and the DigiQ have been super reliable.

I run my stoker with my Macbook. Three years old and has yet to let us down.

I wanted to add this post in favor of the DigiQ. I just found it and it mentions some things I wasn't aware of. Perhaps this helps someone else as well.

Here is why I bought the DigiQII over the Stoker. It was a very hard decision because I'm a techie and would love to monitor and control my cook via the Internet while at work - which the DigiQII can't do.

However, I chose the DigiQ II because:
1. It is more durable/rugged. This goes for the unit and the probes too. The Stoker on the other hand appears to be more like a delicate consumer electronics unit.

2. It is more user-friendly/easy set-up/simple to control at the unit itself. There's only a few buttons: Food/Pit and Temp up/down. It couldn't get any simpler. The Stoker may have buttons also but it also has confusing/time-consuming menus and navigation to deal with - it's just too much for me. My understanding is that on the Stoker, Internet control of the unit is much easier than using the buttons on the unit. And I simply don't want to have to log on to the Internet just to change the temperature.

3. Ramp down feature. This makes it very hard to overcook something. If I'm at work this is important - it means I don't have to log on to the Internet to bring the pit temp down.

4. Open Lid Detect feature. This means I don't have to unplug/plug the unit when I open the lid just to prevent the blower from coming on and overheating the smoker.

5. Memory Store feature. The unit by default just remembers my last settings if there's a power failure. Simple.

6. It is cheaper. A DigiQ II with a 10CFM blower is cheaper than a Stoker with a 10CFM blower.

7. It is smaller. I want the smallest footprint possible.

I think those are good reasons to pick the DigiQII over the Stoker. It is important to note that I don't have multiple cookers or need multiple food probes.

Read more: http://addictedtobbq.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=product&action=display&thread=5712#ixzz1HHy6nb8I

I love my Guru!

DSC_0034.JPG

DigiQ DX. Rugged, simple, it just works... The adaptive control algorithm rocks! It knows to slow the speed of the fan if temps are rising fast and also slows down the closer you get to the pit temp. Having used all of the previous Guru controllers, it just keeps getting better and better.

I got a cyber q, but i think a digi q would have been better for my purposes.
either way, guru.
never used a stoker however

Back