Best Offset Smoker Under $1000?

It's not a simple question. What type of smoker are you interested in? How much time do you have during the cook to tend to the fire and maintain temps? What's your experience level?

It's not a simple question. What type of smoker are you interested in? How much time do you have during the cook to tend to the fire and maintain temps? What's your experience level?

Sorry, I should have added all of that. Been grilling/smoking for 15 years. Started on a Chargriller offset, have owned an UDS, Weber 22 kettle, and XL BGE. Currently am using a Weber 26 kettle for everything.

I’m looking for a higher quality offset than what I had in the Chargriller, but also can’t break the bank. Could probably spend up to $700-$1000, but would love to stay under that if possible.

I’ll have time to tend to the fire throughout the cook. Was interested in something that I could burn strictly wood on vs charcoal/wood chunks.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
What size are you looking for? Please don't get the OKJ. Charbroil has ruined that brand. *REAL* OKJ's are still being made by Horizon (same guys as OG) but are more expensive, as good metal isn't cheap, these days.

What size are you looking for? Please don't get the OKJ. Charbroil has ruined that brand. *REAL* OKJ's are still being made by Horizon (same guys as OG) but are more expensive, as good metal isn't cheap, these days.

Good to know! Size wise, need something big enough to fit a large brisket or 2-3 butts or 3 slabs of ribs.

Have you been watching Craigslist and Marketplace for a used smoker? There's also a couple of used smoker buy/sell/trade groups on FB. With enough patience, you'll probably eventually stumble across a Horizon, original 1/4" OKJ, Lang, etc.

You'll get a better quality used smoker for a $1000 than you can get new. Other than the Horizon 16" Classic and the Brazos, not much other than the COS seems to land in this price point anymore.

That being said, the brand you previously owned seems to have come out with a new heavier duty/thicker COS recently, though hard to say how much better than their cheaper models it is:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Gr...ill-and-Offset-Smoker-in-Black-8250/314125664

Have you been watching Craigslist and Marketplace for a used smoker? There's also a couple of used smoker buy/sell/trade groups on FB. With enough patience, you'll probably eventually stumble across a Horizon, original 1/4" OKJ, Lang, etc.

You'll get a better quality used smoker for a $1000 than you can get new. Other than the Horizon 16" Classic and the Brazos, not much other than the COS seems to land in this price point anymore.

That being said, the brand you previously owned seems to have come out with a new heavier duty/thicker COS recently, though hard to say how much better than their cheaper models it is:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Char-Gr...ill-and-Offset-Smoker-in-Black-8250/314125664

Thanks, I just joined those FB groups. I’ve been checking FB Marketplace and Craigslist daily. I would prefer used if possible. I’ll take a look at that new Chargriller in person sometime. They don’t list the thickness of the metal in the product description.

I had been looking at the Brazos. Looks like there is an Academy 2.5 hours away from me which is doable.
100%, if you want a stick burner under $1,000, this is the one to get. It is built solid. Solid enough it really could use a counterweight on the door. It's that heavy.

Sent from my KFMAWI using Tapatalk

I would also look into the Old Country Pecos. I’ve had mine for 2-3 years now and love it for a budget option. I will say that I am very diligent about cleaning out the ashes within 24-48 hours of every cook, and this has kept my firebox in great shape on the inside and prevented rust issues. While this is going to be important for the life of any offset, I think it is much more so on any cooker with thinner steel like the Pecos.

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-country-bbq-pits-pecos-smoker

There are probably better options in the $700-$1000 range, but you expressed a desire to stay under that if possible. The Brazos, as mentioned above, would also likely be a solid option as it is very similar in design to the Pecos, but has 1/4” steel so should be even better. Personally though, for $1000, I would be looking to find a good deal on a used smoker from a “premium” builder.

The Pecos definitely is thinner steel (14 gauge with 10 gauge lids on firebox and cook chamber I believe), but I would say it is a decent step up from what I would consider a true “cheap offset smoker” that seem to have almost paper thin, flimsy steel. Seems like the steel is slightly thicker than what you get on the Oklahoma Joe longhorn and highland, plus it is fully welded instead of bolted. In my honest opinion, I think the OKJ’s and the Pecos are the minimum price points even worth considering for a true stick burner that you won’t absolutely hate. I’ve never actually cooked on any other stick burner other than my Pecos, so take what I’m saying with a grain of salt, but that is the conclusion I came to when I was researching cookers.

In fairness, it is definitely something I plan on upgrading down the line when I’ve saved up enough to afford something like a Lone Star Grillz or Shirley, but in the mean time I am very happy with it and would recommend it to anyone not wanting to spend several grand on a cooker.

Last edited:

The OKJs arent what they used to be but they're still solid for beginners after a couple simple upgrades. They're also easy to find and easy to sell when the time comes.

My Bell Fabrication offset was a little over 1200 bucks with a bunch of extra options.I think his basic 24x48 build is just under 1000. He's near Tulsa Oklahoma though so you would either have to make a long road trip or pay to have it shipped. Really thick metal not the prettiest offset built but very solid and functional.

My Bell Fabrication offset was a little over 1200 bucks with a bunch of extra options.I think his basic 24x48 build is just under 1000. He's near Tulsa Oklahoma though so you would either have to make a long road trip or pay to have it shipped. Really thick metal not the prettiest offset built but very solid and functional.

Thanks man, I’ll check them out. I don’t care what it looks like as long as it cooks well!

Back