The lid still has paint down in the groove where it will fit on the barrel. Is this an issue? Will this burn off if I put the lid on the grill while I do a burn?
At a temperature high enough to burn the liner out of the barrel, you will warp the lid. When sanding, wire wheel brushing or grinding on the lid, don't let it get too hot in one area.

The lid doe's not warp when smoking because the whole lid heats up evenly.

Nice memories from my Nor Cal days, the Niners, and the Delta!!

Hey, I can bring something over to bbq if you want...........

That is my dads house, and yes it is on the Delta.

I took the UDS over to his house on easter...... He liked it so much, I ended up giving it to him.

We ended up having 8 racks of these babys. :-D

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

how do you know when it has burned long enough? Most of the paint is off the exterior of the barrel excluding the bottom inch or so. popped a couple times like a gun....funny. The outside isn't smoking.

My Newest Drum:

100_1909.jpg

how do you know when it has burned long enough? Most of the paint is off the exterior of the barrel excluding the bottom inch or so. popped a couple times like a gun....funny. The outside isn't smoking.

It's good to be able to tip the barrel on its side and roll it with the fire going to burn out the bottom. Also a yard blower or air compressor will help you "cherry" any spots on the barrel. Being on bare ground or gravel is expected.

This just shows you that an upright UDS on a deck with a small coal fire is no fire concern.

Old Hippie can you post a pic of the support system for your fold down side tables? That looks like some very fine work you did there. Thanks.

Here it is! The FIRST product of my new UDS. I call it an Inside-Out Bacon Wrapped Cabbage Roll Fattie.

ctmpphppGsRRg.jpg

3 hours later at around 250.

tmpphpvQrsEx.jpg

Sliced and ready for eating...while we wait for the pork shoulder!

First pork shoulder on new UDS

OK

This took longer than I thought. A LOT LONGER!

Not that this was a problem, it's just that I started at 11:00 am thinking I needed about 9 hours and shredded this begger at 3:00 am...the NEXT day.

My wife was NOT impressed.

Thank goodness for the fattie (3 hours to cook) or my hungry guests would have starved to death.

Here's the shoulder, rubbed and waiting for the smoker.

PorkShoulder.jpg

Here's the beast after 14 hours.

14hourslater.jpg

Pulled at 3:00 am then cooled and vacuum packed for pulled pork
sandwiches.

For me, this is all about learning, cooking, tasting, trying it again until I get it PERFECT! It's an elusive goal I know, but I'm up for the task.

I've got 2 slabs of side ribs on the smoker as I type...only 4 hours to go!

ShreddedPork.jpg

burning out a barrel for uds

I am in the middle of making my second UDS and made a video showing you how I burn mine out. I had a lot of issues getting the liner completely burned out of my first barrel until I figured out the 'rolling' technique. Hope this helps someone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O2h2g_4n-w

I tried to embed the video, but it didn't seem to work.

I decided I would quit being lazy and upload some pics of my UDS my friend, son and I built a few months ago.

Almost finished with the fabrication:
UDSBuild3-27-102.jpg

My son getting involved:
UDSBuild3-27-103.jpg

Finished and ready to use:
UDSBuild3-27-106.jpg

More finish pics:
UDSBuild3-27-107.jpg

UDSBuild3-27-108.jpg

UDSBuild3-27-109.jpg

I am in the middle of making my second UDS and made a video showing you how I burn mine out. I had a lot of issues getting the liner completely burned out of my first barrel until I figured out the 'rolling' technique. Hope this helps someone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8O2h2g_4n-w

I tried to embed the video, but it didn't seem to work.

Yeah, I burned mine on my sidewalk....the gun shot I was talking about was the concrete exploding. Thanks for the video, Ill be doing a second burn to get the bottom area. Is it necessary to sand the inside after a burn. My looks like its down to metal for sure just with the black on it from the burn.

Old Hippie can you post a pic of the support system for your fold down side tables? That looks like some very fine work you did there. Thanks.
Electrical conduit, one end flattened, bent and hole drilled through.
Block of wood with hole drilled through at 45 degree angle.
2 angle brackets.
2 hinges.
1x4 lumber glued and screwed.
Polyurethane
DSC00013-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Easy Hinge

Welding skills arent the greatest, but they hold. Used the weber kettle hinge, fliped it upside down, and tacked it on. Had to notch the bottom, now top mount to let the lid stand by itself.

The hinge would not line up with the drum or the lid, right side up.

DSC_0028.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0031.jpg

So I have a mini drum that is closed top. Anyone know a way to easily and cleanly cut it open? I thought about using my jig saw but was wondering if anyone had a better idea.

Back