First brisket today - will keep adding pics

F

Forrest

10:50 Pacific time, placed a 13.11lb (before trimming) packer brisket on the Large BGE fat side down. It was injected with Butchers Choice and I used the Cookshack brisket rub. BGE is at 220 right now with Wicked Weekend Warrior lump and hickory for smoke. I'm planning to run it like this for 2 hours and then bump temps to 290ish for the rest of the cook. I will flip to fat side up once the egg gets up to 290 which I am guessing will be about 2.5 hours or so into the cook.

I am anticipating having to foil once the bark is dark enough but I guess I'm not fully committed to that yet.

Suggestions welcome!

DSC_0475Medium.jpg

I suggest you enjoy your day and your cook. Looks like a fantastic start.

Do you have ample supply of adult beverages ? :heh:

Looks like you are off to a great start :thumb:

It finally fits on the grill!

Yup! Just enough shrinkage.

I flipped the meat at the 2.5 hour mark and will update with another photo at the 3 hour mark. I am not planning to mop at this time but I have some on standby in case I change my mind :confused:

Nice progress Forrest.

Thank you!

Do you know what the white spots are that have bubbled up in a couple places? On my last picture, on the right side there is a natural depression in the meat where some fat has pooled up, and in the middle there is a white spot. It reminds me of the white you sometimes see on spare ribs right at the end.

I think it'll take me a little over an hour to get there so let me know when you cooler that thing and I'll be on my way!!

I foiled after 6 hours (shortly after this picture) and let it run until it passed the tender test with a bamboo skewer. It's resting now for about an hour before I will slice it for dinner. Perfect timing actually!

I will post one more picture of the sliced product and that will wrap up this photo essay.

there will be lots of meat juice in that foil.... i saw something on foodnetwork where a place in TEXAS uses this juice and mix it with the bbq sauce... might be worth a try...

Back