• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BWS Smoker Party Question

Well I guess my question should be what temp spikes do BWS users accept. Looking back at “palmtreefrb”’s WFI report his temp rolled back to 250 in about 5 minutes but by 6:31 am he was on a steady climb towards 300 degrees – he had at least a 30 degree increase.

Also is it normal for the temp to come back in 5 or so minutes and does anyone close off the guru at this time? I just don’t have swings like these in my big offset.

I was doing hot and fast and my set temperature was 290. I just decided to put my meat in at 250 and let it continue to rise to my set temperature. Once the set temp is reached the Party will hold very well with a fluctuation of maybe +- 15. I never worry of fluctuations of +- 25 as it's done when it's done :grin:

Well I guess my question should be what temp spikes do BWS users accept. Looking back at “palmtreefrb”’s WFI report his temp rolled back to 250 in about 5 minutes but by 6:31 am he was on a steady climb towards 300 degrees – he had at least a 30 degree increase.

Also is it normal for the temp to come back in 5 or so minutes and does anyone close off the guru at this time? I just don’t have swings like these in my big offset.

That doesn't look right to me. When you slide open the vent door you should see the inner plate of the guru adapter. I believe I can see your firebox in there. If so, you have a large amount of airflow that you shouldn't have. The guru adapter should completely seal that vent.

I follow your line of reasoning and I will take a look to see if I have the adapter installed wrong. You can see that when the vent door is slid shut it does overlap the inner plate for the adapter thus providing a pretty good seal.

However, under your scenario, if I did want to allow air in via the right vent IN ADDITION TO the Guru adapter tube (to shorten time to target temp for instance), I would not be able to do that or I would have to remove the adapter. Correct?

I never close off the guru when opening the door. Once my temp rebounds to 270 within ten minutes, it is rock steady. The DigiQ display will lock in on the target temp when it is within 5 degrees of the target. That means my temp never swings more than 5 degrees in each direction or 10 degrees in aggregate.

I follow your line of reasoning and I will take a look to see if I have the adapter installed wrong. You can see that when the vent door is slid shut it does overlap the inner plate for the adapter thus providing a pretty good seal.

However, under your scenario, if I did want to allow air in via the right vent IN ADDITION TO the Guru adapter tube (to shorten time to target temp for instance), I would not be able to do that or I would have to remove the adapter. Correct?

Yes, you would not be able to introduce more air from your right vent. However, the left vent is available and will provide more than enough airflow if you want it.

I inquired about the Guru placement and whether it made any difference, since I've seen different vent arrangements on different BWS's.

I've got a 2012 Gater and the Left vent is in the rear of the cooker and the Right vent is in the front. I've tried both with the Guru 10cfm fan and have settled with the adapter secured on the LR vent, and start the briqs at that end of the tray. Does it make any difference?

Back