MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-03-2012, 09:39 AM   #1
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George
Default TYeam Names

KCBS has contacted me requesting I change my name/add my state as there is another team similar to mine. My team is Back Porch BBQ. The other is Back Porch Q. I have registered it, have a web site and invested my in a banner and a Brethern Banner. I dont really want to change Can they force this issue.
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #2
sitnfat
is one Smokin' Farker

Who knows there is a group of people north of KC that used my name earlier in the year. I called the contest organizer she said they are locals that only do 1 maybe 2 local contests. She said she would talk to them and ask them to change their name. I have some friends in court over team names. Just another reason to check check check names before hand and make yours different than someone else's. Not just change of spelling there are 2 here close that sound the same but spelled different. Makes awards awkwards at times

Old 10-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #3
richardnoodle
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

We had to add Buffalo to our name after a couple years of competing(and we did check with KCBS). We didn't have much invested yet so it wasn't a big deal(some shirts and a banner), the problem they told us with giving points to the wrong team.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #4
butt head
is one Smokin' Farker

I wouldn't

meadow creek ts250- w/ 42 chicken cooker
butt head is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #5
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by butt head View Post
I wouldn't
I wouldn't either if you're happy with your name. Let the other teams that come in later add State or whatever.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #6
AZScott
Take a breath!

Which team had the name first? There's a lot of team names out there that are very very similar and like we've all said a hundred times, a simple team number would resolve this issue.

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-03-2012, 06:53 PM   #7
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks like you could just add the state or whatever to the team name at the comps for clarification and keep your shirts, banners, etc as they are. They just need to know the difference as someone else said for points, etc. Otherwise, I don't know why it would matter? I renewed my KCBS membership last time because I changed my team name and I wanted it "registered" with them, but they never changed it and I just couldn't care less at this point.
[B]WSM 18.5[/B]
[B]Weber One-Touch Gold [/B]
[B]Smokey Joe Silver[/B]
The Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 06:57 PM   #8
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker

Keep your name the same on everything, banner, website etc. but just when registering for KCBS comps fill out as "Back porch bbq State"

EDIT: Looks like wearcd beat me to it.
kenthanson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
Slamdunkpro
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearcd View Post
Looks like you could just add the state or whatever to the team name at the comps for clarification and keep your shirts, banners, etc as they are. They just need to know the difference as someone else said for points, etc. .........
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenthanson View Post
Keep your name the same on everything, banner, website etc. but just when registering for KCBS comps fill out as "Back porch bbq State"
Why does the original guy have to change? Since George is in the KCBS Database as Back Porch BBQ he clearly picked a name that wasn't in the database. OK, first in - first "registered". Now because someone has come in and wants the same name (or very close) they want George to change? Um, no.
Spicewine Tandem - "The Beast"
, 2 Vulcan V33's & 1 V9
Brinkman modified upright, Weber Kettle(s); Meadow Creek Pr-24, Super Stealth Mode black & Night Vision Red Thermopens
-----------------
MABA - (Mid Atlantic BBQ Association) President
KCBS Certified Judge - #23289
Slamdunkpro is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-03-2012, 08:10 PM   #10
Butt Rubb'n BBQ
Take a breath!

I would not change it and no they can't force you to. Go look at all the team names and you will find that there are a lot of teams that have similar names.
Butt Rubb'n BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-03-2012, 10:35 PM   #11
The Cosmic Pig
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdunkpro View Post
Why does the original guy have to change? Since George is in the KCBS Database as Back Porch BBQ he clearly picked a name that wasn't in the database. OK, first in - first "registered". Now because someone has come in and wants the same name (or very close) they want George to change? Um, no.
I'm not advocating he change his name in ANY way. All I'm saying is if he wants to get credit for winning, etc, it's not a big deal to add the state to his name while he's at a comp. That's all I did. I absolutely wouldn't change my name to the extent of needing new banners, shirts, etc. That's just ridiculous.
[B]WSM 18.5[/B]
[B]Weber One-Touch Gold [/B]
[B]Smokey Joe Silver[/B]
The Cosmic Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2012, 02:10 AM   #12
kenthanson
is one Smokin' Farker

Because sometimes the juice isn't worth the squeeze. On one hand we have changing nothing and having to deal with contest result issues or adding as little as two letters to a contest registration form and having no issues at all.
kenthanson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #13
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

and people wonder why KCBS TOY, BBQRace.com, and National BBQ Rankings have issues with getting the team names right.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2012, 08:16 AM   #14
White Dog BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

If you were the first to use your name, then you shouldn't have to change -- period.

Just tell KCBS Back Porch BBQ is your intellectual property. Considering how vigilant KCBS in defending their IP, they should see your point.

The real solution to this is to have each team registered under an ID number and track TotY that way.

1x 14.5" WSM
1x 18" WSM
1x Red Weber Performer
1x Blue Weber Performer
1x Weber 22.5" OneTouch Silver
1x Weber Genesis Silver B
White Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #15
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

If someone is too dense to recognize the difference between "BBQ' and just "Q", regardless of what comes before it, then they ain't got no bidness being there.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote