Kids Q - to bun or not to bun, that is the question

K

kositis

My son (age 9) is going to be competing in the Kids Q event at the Royal. This is only his second Kids Q event so we're still trying to get the lay of the land. I'm hoping some other folks with more Kids Q experience might be able to help.

They're doing hamburgers for his age group. Open garnish in standard turn-in boxes. He's trying to decide if he should use a bun on his hamburger. The few photos I've been able to find of turn-in boxes don't have buns on the burgers. Is that the usual practice? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

-Kim
Baltic BBQ Boyz

I judged one kids q, but didn't get a burger.

I like the idea of turning in a burger with a toasted bun top to the side/corner to show off the burger and it's garnish.

Or get the mini rolls (found in bakery) as buns and do 6 bite size burgers with the top bun to the side.

Can they be toothpicked together like an appetizer?

I just got the email with the rules:
Rules and Regulations

1. There will be two age groups (Each entry will consist of only 1 cook) KCBS Rules apply, unless otherwise noted.
a.Age 6-10 – Hamburgers
i.Each entry will receive 8, ¼ lb. patties. Please turn in enough for 6 judges. Slicing meat for presentation is not required. Judges will be equipped to slice the presentation at the judging table.
ii.In box, no rules on garnish

Since you only need to turn in enough for 6 judges, I think it would be cool to do one triple burger with bacon and chez and garnish the box with fixin's - lettuce, tomato, onions and pickles.

But of course, I've never done a kids q - but it sounds good to eat

good question man. My daughter is in it also. Last comp she did she turned in sans bun. I also let her make all the decisions on her own. She wouldn't even tell me what was in her rub (she make her own). But it would of never occured to me to have her put it on a bun for spome reason, it's completely obvious but somehow over my head.

To bun or not to bun, THAT is the question

When my son does hamburger in Kids Que, he buns. He sends in three burgers, sets them on the bottom bun and offsets the top bun on all three. He figures that way if one of the burgers doesn't look that great, he's "covered". He doesn't send in any "fixin's"...his theory, what if they don't like tomatoes, or cheese, etc.

If KCBS rules apply, that means nothing but meat, leaf lettuce and parsley/cilantro goes in the box.

I think they've made things quite clear for the Kids Que which is unusual....

Rules and Regulations

1. There will be two age groups (Each entry will consist of only 1 cook) KCBS Rules apply, unless otherwise noted.
    a.Age 6-10 – Hamburgers
    i.Each entry will receive 8, ¼ lb. patties. Please turn in enough for 6 judges. Slicing meat for presentation is not required. Judges will be equipped to slice the presentation at the judging table.
    ii.In box, no rules on garnish
    b.Age 11-15 – Chicken
    i.Each entry will receive 3 lbs of mixed chicken wings and legs and 6 will need to be turned in.
    ii.Ages 11-15 KCBS Rules on Garnish

Back