Idaho - Spuds and Smoke

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoTracker

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
I guess I need to sy hi to everyone as I've been lurking here for a month or so. I found this site when I started searching for information on drum smokers.

My intorduction to the ugly drum smoker was this past August out on the Bonneville Salt Flats during the first day's racing for Speed Week. As we had been planning this trip we coordinated things with a few of the people that were going to be there and recieved the following information, "Bring ribs!" A friend of one of my co-workers was going to be there and had offered to do the cooking.

Saturday morning my travelign companions and I ran into Wendover before heading out on the salt so that we could get some ribs; one rack each. Well to get to the point of the matter the racing was good but the ribs were increadible after about 4 - 5 hours in the UDS. The ribs were so great and the design of the drum smoker so simple that I've decided that I "need" to build one for myself.

So far I have rounded up all the parts for the smoker except for the drum itself. Still working on that but I'm being a little picky and holding out for an open head drum that hasn't had petrolium products or other chemicals in it. I've also been buying up charcoal as I see it here and there at discounted, "end of season" prices.

Wish me luck on my search for a drum.

Mike
Rexburg, Idaho

Thanks for the welcome guys. I have a lot to learn!

Mike

Welcome aboard Mike, enjoy what you learn and share what you know, it's what we do here.

Welcome!!!

Pretty hard to beat a UDS, ESPECIALLY for the $!
You won't regret it!

THIS PLACE ROCKS!!!!!
:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Welcome, fellow Idahoan! I'm in Boise...good luck with your UDS. Post some pics when you're finished; would love to see it!

Barret

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back